Un-completed, UNIQUENESS.

The result of our kite making adventures
Hector Herrera

Un-completed, UNIQUENESS.

Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Apr 22 2008, 08:23 PM

Hi everyone!
I have a surprise for you...
MY BRAND SPANKING NEW KITE!!!
It's not finished yet, and I will give you a hint for you to guess what kind of kite it is, or it's gonna be.

"It has been flown by a lot of people, but... THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THERE IS...???

AFTER I FINISH THE KITE, I will ask you guys, if it is good enough to participate with it, in a Kite Making Contest.

I have not seen one like it anywhere. Maybe one of you have.

INTRODUCING... !!! AVIONCITO DE PAPEL !!! = LITTLE PAPER PLANE.not so little
Attachments
AVIONCITO DE PAPEL [800x600].JPG
AVIONCITO DE PAPEL

LITTLE PAPER PLANE
AVIONCITO DE PAPEL [800x600].JPG (81.4 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Sun, May 04 2008, 03:40 PM, edited 6 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Mike

Re: Un-completed, UNIQUENESS.

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 22 2008, 08:50 PM

gee, I dunno Hector.
It looks a little trapezoidal.

Give us another hint. How many lines will be attached to it when it flies.

As far as AKA kite making contests, I think they are real particular about things like perfect stitching and finishing touches. Do your best sewing!

Donna has made some incredible dual lines and has won awards at the AKA national competition for her sewing. She would know what they look for.

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Wed, Apr 23 2008, 01:12 AM

Hmm, looks interesting Hector. Yes, another hint please!

As far as AKA kite making contests, I think they are real particular about things like perfect stitching and finishing touches. Do your best sewing!

Or, if you do have an unplanned "design modification" when sewing, figure out how to hide the mistake really well! :twisted:

If you are thinking about entering a kitebuilding contest, I would say go for it! At the very least, the feedback you get from the judges, and ideas you get from talking to other competitors, will make you a better builder.

As far as AKA competition goes, they are scoring four categories. The categories are:
flight & handling
visual appeal
craftsmanship
structural design

The full rulebook can be found on the AKA website, but in a nutshell, the scoring is a balancing act between the four categories.

First of all, if the kite doesn't pass the flight portion, it doesn't get scored in the other categories. Your sewing could be spectacular, but if it doesn't fly when the judges say fly, you're done. So, for me personally, I focus on the flight the most, and trying to get a really wide wind range (you just never know what the wind will be doing on competition day!) For flight, single line kites must fly on 100' of line. Sport kites on a lineset between 50-100 feet. At the AKA Convention, they must fly for a minimum of 5 minutes within a 10 minute period. Best scores go to those that fly the entire time without having to be relaunched, those that show the most stable or controllable flight, etc.

Visual appeal is a score of how attractive the kite is when flying. A key point here is that the judges will be looking at it from 100 feet away; small graphics and intricate applique get lost in the distance and tend to score poorly in this category. I've gotten dinged on this one before. To score well, you need something that looks great at 100 feet away. Think big bold graphics or colors, or even an interestingly-shaped kite of a solid color (i.e. Bazzer's comet from a few years ago).

Craftsmanship is where they look at how you put the thing together. Good stitching, neat corners and pockets, loose threads clipped, spots cleaned off, etc is what gets you a good score here. (And if you do make a mistake, hide it somehow!)

Structural design is a score of the kite's physical design; i.e. how well does the structure work. If you've got innovative stuff in the structure and it works well, it will score well. They will also look at such things as, are the spars strong enough without being too heavy, is the bridle effective, why did you make the choices you did, etc.

Another tidbit is that you will get a chance to talk to the judges and present your kite during the ground judging part. You are almost doing a sales pitch; you make sure to tell them about everything that you did that fits what they're looking for in each category. For example, if I was talking to the structure judges about a sport kite, I would point out the type of spars I used and explain why I chose those particular spars. A good "sales pitch" can get you a better score!
Last edited by AhMayzon on Wed, Apr 23 2008, 01:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Apr 23 2008, 08:08 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I needed it.-
Well my sewing did not go well, somehow my machine was pulling the edge to one side, and I had to redo the sewing in a couple of areas and it looks not too good. but, now I know, that I will have to either do another one or modify the one I have. this is a one piece sail, since it is a prototype, I can make the nessesary changes where needed. About it's flying abilities...I am sure it will fly long enough to qualify.
It's funny that I have not seen one kite like this anywhere, and at the same time everyone has seen or flown one before????
My next hint is: if you see the picture, you are looking at the boottom of it when in fly.
Hints...hmmm...lemme think...
I am sure every IKER knows how to make one of this...
Ohh...yeah...It will be a single line Kite.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Apr 23 2008, 08:50 PM

It's a Rok... and what's that furry animal's rear-end, in the upper left, doing in the picture?!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:07 PM

Not a rock...jejeje...sorry for the little one showing rear end, my 10 years old daughter fix it up right.
thanks...you are very observative...and for that I'll give you another pretty hint...
What you see in the picture is something that may be folded...
Hoppefully this Saturday I will make it fly, and I am gonna send you pictures of it, and some video too.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:48 PM

Still no idea. How many lines does it take to fly it?

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 07:47 PM

It will be a single line kite.

Now, about the bridles I don't know yet, it may take a triangle to hold the WINGS...

Okay, this is a real hint...there is a record holding of 27.6 seconds fly...

hmmm....that will give you a good idea of what my kite is going to be.

another one...Hmmm...ohh, excuse me, I've got to go, I have to do some paper work...
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 09:06 PM

I know! I know what it is!
Will you be able to release it from the line and have it float down?

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Apr 24 2008, 09:25 PM

It will be like a regular single line kite, just hanging by a tread.
Mike send me an e-mail telling me what it is.
It's been fun, and it still is fun.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Apr 28 2008, 07:38 PM

I think I know too.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, May 04 2008, 03:31 PM

AVIONCITO DE PAPEL, flew very well innitially, then when it picked up altitude, THE PLANE STARTED FLOATING ON IT'S OWN, THEN FLEW FORDWARD, (just like paper planes do) and finnally went nose down.??
I think I will change the shape of it to control it's funny flying. but I think it will be a success when I finish it next time. Let's remember this was only the prototype.
HAS ANYONE SEEN A KITE LIKE THIS OR SIMILAR ANYWHERE?

IF NOT..THEN THIS MAY TRULY BE "UNIQUE".
Attachments
DSC01712 [800x600].JPG
AVIONCITO DE PAPEL
DSC01712 [800x600].JPG (69.11 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
avioncito de papel in flight [800x600].JPG
paper plane kite, Is this the only one?
avioncito de papel in flight [800x600].JPG (24.67 KiB) Viewed 3556 times
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Sun, May 04 2008, 04:48 PM, edited 5 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Sun, May 04 2008, 05:08 PM

Maybe an inflatable tail or drouge would keep it from over flying you.

Looks coo, good ideal. :clap

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, May 04 2008, 10:11 PM

Very KWEL Hector!! and I cannot say I personally have ever seen anything like it.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Sun, May 04 2008, 10:21 PM

I flew dozens of those off the third story walkway in high school. 8)

Got one to land all the way down the hill on the roof of the cafeteria once...
:-D

Cool kite Hector!
Last edited by Kitehead on Sun, May 04 2008, 10:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Carter

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Sun, May 04 2008, 10:43 PM

great kite hector should be proud of it
:SLKani: shawn

Barbara

Postby Barbara » Mon, May 05 2008, 02:58 PM

As a judge at nationals, I offer some advice. First, don't obsess over perfect stitiching. The judges would much rather see something unique where you have come up with an idea, solved problems and been successful, than any perfectly done piece that is just like every other one.
Having judged mutiple della portas all with the same design only with different colors, let me tell you how hard that is.
Try to make sure your creation really is unique. Many times people have re-discovered what the judges recognize as common knowledge. Look at old books, look at other plans on the internet. Educate yourself.
I've see tyvek kites win 1st place. That material was the perfect choice for that particular kite.
Try moving your bridle point and/or changing your spar size before you resort to a tail. If you do add a tail, be sure the style of a tail really adds to the design of your kite. Don't just stick somehting on there.
Again, thinking about della portas. 90% use a fuzzy tail. The others that maybe use a flat tail that ties in with the graphic makes a much bigger visual impression.
Most often the kites that win any competition are the ones that are above average in all 4 judging criteria. Note, not necessarily the best in any of the 4 criteria.
Don't tell the judges where you messed up. Tell them how you solved problems. Show them how you solved problems with a fabulous flight.
Good luck and keep building
Barbara

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, May 05 2008, 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone...I think it is the first Paper Plane Kite. Therefore IS UNIQUE.

BARBARA: Thanks for the advise, I can only say that definitly NO tail-s otherwise it will change the design, since I have not seen a real paper plane with a tail.
But your suggestions are very welcome, and I will continue to explore more, to expand my CURIOSITY, towards making different kites.

Thank you all. I will send a video of the final version of : "AVIONCITO DE PAPEL".
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Mon, May 05 2008, 08:03 PM, edited 2 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Return to “Completed Creations”