Page 1 of 1

Hello From Indiana

Posted: Sun, Jan 07 2007, 02:57 PM
by fly_with_fire
Hey fellow kiters,
I am from Indiana. Its near Fort Wayne.
I have been flying for about 7 years. Started on your average one liner, than dual, than quad line. I now fly at several kite festivals in Indiana and every year I go to the Grand Haven Kite Festival in Michigan. If you want info on this festival, go to mackite.com. It has great kiteboarding info and info on this years festival in May.
I also play the drums at my church and in school for Marching, Jazz, Pep, and Concert Band. I have been playing for all my life that I can remember. I also run technical theater equipment like sound, lights, spotlight, and do back stage things.
hope to make it to some club flies!
nathan

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Sun, Jan 07 2007, 03:15 PM
by Invis
Welcome Nathan. Hope to see you on the field someday soon. Your gonna fit right in with the tech and drum thing going for ya!

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Sun, Jan 07 2007, 04:43 PM
by Chris
Welcome to IKE Nathan, at the rate we're going with musicians, IKE is going to have to start a band soon! :rotfl Seriously, good to have another long time flier!! :up:

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Sun, Jan 07 2007, 07:12 PM
by Mike
Great to see you here Nathan, it's always been a lot of fun flying with you at Grand Haven.
This year, Grand Haven should even be more fun since we'll get a bunch of IKE members up there and just take over a section of the beach with our sheer numbers :twisted:

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Sun, Jan 07 2007, 09:07 PM
by Frodos Majik
Welcome Aboard Nathan, I meet you out at G.H. last year, I was the one who let you fly my SUL with Mike and Dan. Looking forward to see you out at any field soon. :-)

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:52 PM
by Babbman
What do you call a drummer dressed up in a suit?

The Defandant... :rotfl

As a Bass player, I have a special place in my heart for drummers and an even bigger place for good ones...lol

Welcome aboard!

I play bass for my church also and I currently play with one of the best drummers in the Illinois area. If you get a chance, take a look at http://www.spevakpercussionconcepts.com Vern is one of my best friends and is one of the best teachers and musicians that I have the pleasure of knowing. And Chris is right, We could pretty well start a band with all of the musicians in IKE!...

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Mon, Jan 08 2007, 03:02 PM
by fly_with_fire
thanks babbman for the website. lots of great stuff on it. i don't know if i'll be able to make it to much of the ike club flys. its a more than an afternoon drive for me. plus with school and me running sound for the upcoming theater production of Footloose it is going to be a little crazy. being a solo sound guy running 40 mics is never easy! maybe in the summer after the grand haven festival i might be able to make it to some club flys! looking forword to it!

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Mon, Jan 08 2007, 03:10 PM
by Babbman
fly_with_fire wrote:thanks babbman for the website. lots of great stuff on it. i don't know if i'll be able to make it to much of the ike club flys. its a more than an afternoon drive for me. plus with school and me running sound for the upcoming theater production of Footloose it is going to be a little crazy. being a solo sound guy running 40 mics is never easy! maybe in the summer after the grand haven festival i might be able to make it to some club flys! looking forword to it!


haha, you sound like my friend Chris. He's a keyboardist and also an excellent soundman and is typically doing both. We have a production coming up in April called Drumshow where he does sound and I do the video production.

Break a leg with your production!

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Mon, Jan 08 2007, 03:22 PM
by fly_with_fire
babbman
what sound/music stuff do you do. I mostly do anything with sound and music. i have been doing theater sound only the last 3 years but i have been doing sound for my church and school a total of about 5. i have taken classes and talked to pros like the sound guy from the dave matthews band at one of their concerts.

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Mon, Jan 08 2007, 03:40 PM
by Babbman
fly_with_fire wrote:babbman
what sound/music stuff do you do. I mostly do anything with sound and music. i have been doing theater sound only the last 3 years but i have been doing sound for my church and school a total of about 5. i have taken classes and talked to pros like the sound guy from the dave matthews band at one of their concerts.


I've been playing R&R for over 25 years. 23 years with my friend Chris who is a keyboard player. We've been in progressive, alternative, R&R and finally Christian bands. Since I've been involved with Vern, it's been lots of Latin/Christian/Jazz/African type of music. Church is the standard Christian fare but we've also been doing a lot of Israel Houghton, Freddy Hammond and some of the bigger production pieces. We also do a good amount of original material on Sundays.

In December, we did our 3rd CandleLight & Carols production which was Jazz/Bigband.... and a gas to play..

as for video stuff, Drumshow is my big thing each year and is put on by Naperville Central Highschool. The top 10 percussionists get to put on a 1.5 hr show that is way better than anyone could imagine. These kids are really talented. My part is all of the Video production that goes with it. Pre-show intros, the main show intro, song intros and all kinds of other things that interface with the live action shots that they do. This will be my 6th year. Chris also does all of the audio production and handles just a boatload of mics that cover the entire percussion setup... I think we figured it to be almost a mile of cabling once the setup was done last year...

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Mon, Jan 08 2007, 04:52 PM
by fly_with_fire
the drum production sounds awsome. 2 of my drummer friends and i did thing for a highschool talent show. we call ourselves "drumfire" we recieved best instrumental group and peoples choice overall. it was really fun.
at my church we play contemporary music. it is not just your traditional organ. we have drums, piano. electric guiatar, acoustic guitar, bass, and several singers on the stage all at once.

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Mon, Jan 08 2007, 06:23 PM
by Babbman
fly_with_fire wrote:the drum production sounds awsome. 2 of my drummer friends and i did thing for a highschool talent show. we call ourselves "drumfire" we recieved best instrumental group and peoples choice overall. it was really fun.
at my church we play contemporary music. it is not just your traditional organ. we have drums, piano. electric guiatar, acoustic guitar, bass, and several singers on the stage all at once.


Pretty much the same for us but at times, we get really complicated...lol... good thing we can pull it off!

Listen to some Israel Houghton if you get a chance...

We do things like Free For All, Still Standing, Friend Of God, etc... great stuff...

Re: Hello From Indiana

Posted: Thu, Jan 11 2007, 06:56 PM
by Knoted4ever
Welcome, Nathan! i was at Grand Haven last year; it is a really cool festival! :mrblue: