Lots of hot air in Springfield!

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Goddess

Lots of hot air in Springfield!

Postby Goddess » Fri, May 05 2017, 06:36 PM

Hello!

I'm in Springfield and very new to this. I found IKE because Makatakam (user ID) on http://www.kitelife.com told me you all existed!

I am looking for a first dual line kite. I have no experience, but could always get those those old plastic grocery store kites to do loops, etc.

I've been looking a bit and I thought that Prism Nexus looked like something that could take me from beginner into entry-level intermediate. After reading the forums on kitelife, I'm not so sure.

Looking for thoughts, recommendations, and maybe even someone who has a great used beginner kite for sale! If anyone is close, I'd love to learn from you! I was told that flying with someone (who isn't clueless like me) will cut a lot of time off of the learning curve. I appreciate any advice and direction you're willing to provide!

Mike

Re: Lots of hot air in Springfield!

Postby Mike » Fri, May 05 2017, 08:39 PM

Hiya Goddess! Welcome to the club!
It might be worth making the drive to Pontiac, IL. That's where our sponsor, Route 66 Kites is located.
They can help you out and probably give you a lesson.
http://route66kites.com/index.html
I haven't flown a dual in a very long time, but if you ever want play with a quad...

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, May 05 2017, 09:43 PM

Welcome, goddess!

Ditto what Mike said - Route 66 will hook you up & help you learn. And/or we may have some events coming up where you can get together with fellow IKErs. The IKE festival calendar is here at this link. There might be a small event in Champaign on Mother's Day. It's not on the calendar but Route 66 Kites would be able to tell you if they are going to be there.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, May 06 2017, 12:21 AM

Hi, Goddess, I see you found your way here. There are a few dual flyers in the club, and they surface occasionally at fests and gatherings. Route 66 Kites in Pontiac is a reliable brick and mortar location to get help. Mike and Anne Stephenson are both seasoned flyers and will do their best to get you going in whatever direction you choose. They obviously sell kites, definitely have a wide range of single, dual and quad line kites. They will actually listen carefully to make sure you get what you have in mind. If they don't have what you want, they'll get it for you. There is a shop in Springfield called WILD BIRDS UNLIMITED, but I don't think they are very into kites.

I look forward to flying with you someday. Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Return to “Introductions”