New from South Elgin

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
RonG

New from South Elgin

Postby RonG » Sun, Feb 22 2015, 06:21 PM

Am new to this site as of today. Was out flying my old dual line kite today. 14 degrees and some gusty winds but sun was out. Had to get out of the house for a while. 2 kids out playing stopped by to talk while flying, can't imagine anyone out in the cold today. Anyway was putting my kite away and this great person, named Say, came by with his kites. He was amazing, great young man and told me about this site. Love to be out flying and based on what I saw Say do,,,, am going to have to invest in a quad kite WOW pretty amazing.

Hope to meet up with you all at some events later this spring and summer. Flew kites as a toddler, hang gliders as I got older but don't fly those any more... no hills around here lol, but gave up the hang gliding many many moons ago.

From Washington State but relocated here for new job.

Hope to meet you all some day. Oh and you have a pirate smiley...ARGH :piratecap:

basicbill

Re: New from South Elgin

Postby basicbill » Sun, Feb 22 2015, 06:37 PM

Hey welcome, Ron. Great that you met Xay. He's super friendly and helpful. I'm just down the road in St Charles. And new to Revs last year. They are a blast to fly and the crew here is wonderfully helpful to a newbie like me. Often we meet at Busse Woods or at the St Charles East Side Sports Complex to fly. Hope to get to fly with you soon. Feel free to ask to meet up and try flying my Rev(s).

Bill

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Feb 22 2015, 07:23 PM

Hi, Ron. Welcome to the forum. Good to hear that you met Xay. He's my regular flying partner, so I will probably meet you soon.

Post up on this forum when you are going out to fly, or when you want to and some of us may be able to join you. Also keep an eye on the "Club Fly" and "Quick Fly" threads to see where and when others are going to fly so you might join them.

We'll all be happy to help you get started in quad-line flying. Once you've sampled some of the kites we have you can make an informed decision of what to get.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 22 2015, 07:46 PM

Welcome to the club!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Feb 22 2015, 07:52 PM

Ditto - welcome to IKE. Glad to have another member in the greater Chicago area. Best way to get hooked is OPK (other people's kites). Be happy to let you try my Revs. We'll probably start getting out there again once it warms up.

By the way, there's a calendar link in the upper right corner of the forum - that takes you to our Google calendar with upcoming kite festivals, which is another way to feed this hobby (in addition to our informal club and quick fly meet ups). Pretty likely some of the IKE crowd will be at quite a few of the festivals.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Feb 23 2015, 07:58 AM

Welcome Ron. We're pretty lucky to have a few fliers in the far western suburbs. We try to fly at least once a month, but Mark, Xay and Bill have much more flexibility in their schedules. St Charles East is usually the best meet point for us. We just have to try and find room around the soccer players when the weather changes. I am going to work on my dual line flying this year, but we'd be more than happy to loan you one of our Rev's to try out and join in.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Mon, Feb 23 2015, 02:23 PM

Welcome to our merry group of addicts, I too, will be working on my duals more this year.
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

RonG

Postby RonG » Mon, Feb 23 2015, 06:31 PM

Thank you all for the very nice warm welcome and great tips and info. And thank you for Xay's correct name. All I remembered from all the conversation and watching him fly was how he said to say his name and the site URL.Yes hope to meet you all soon.

Take care everyone and thank you.

Ron

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Feb 23 2015, 06:53 PM

You should plan on coming to the fly at Montrose harbor on the 28th of March . . . .

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Feb 24 2015, 08:37 AM

Hey Ron, welcome to the club.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Sun, Mar 01 2015, 05:15 PM

Welcome to the Club!

FlyingJim

Postby FlyingJim » Mon, Mar 30 2015, 08:28 PM

Welcome Ron.
I'm new to the group as well and am just south in aurora, so I am looking for local flys as well.
I fly dual and and just getting my quad up, looking to the experts for guidance.
Hope to meet up with y'all soon.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Mar 31 2015, 09:30 AM

FlyingJim wrote:Welcome Ron.
I'm new to the group as well and am just south in aurora, so I am looking for local flys as well.
I fly dual and and just getting my quad up, looking to the experts for guidance.
Hope to meet up with y'all soon.

Welcome Jim. There's a few of us in the far western suburbs. West or East side of Aurora? We try to get together at least once a month depending on schedules. We can even introduce you to the DuKane style of flying.

FlyingJim

Postby FlyingJim » Tue, Mar 31 2015, 09:08 PM

West side here. Just down from west high

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Mar 31 2015, 09:51 PM

Tmadz and Swannie are in Sugar Grove - they've got a good field out there for flying.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Apr 01 2015, 06:20 AM

You're quite close. Just a few miles down the road. Want to meet sometime soon?

RonG

Postby RonG » Tue, Jul 28 2015, 09:27 PM

After some great encouragement from Xay... THANK YOU!!!!!! I purchased a new Rev kite and LOVE LOVE it!!!! WOW so cool. A little nervous my first fly, but after 4 times out am able to do a little here and there with it. Found a nice open area behind the Meijer on Randall Rd towards the community college. No trees to speak of and is on a little rise so wind is very consistent. Hope to meet everyone who responded some day.

Thank you everyone for the warm responses and THANK YOU Xay!!!!
:thanks:

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Tue, Jul 28 2015, 09:35 PM

Super! Welcome to the addiction. A short drive for me from St. Charles to that location. Be happy to get together. Keep in touch.

Bill

yepits

Postby yepits » Tue, Jul 28 2015, 09:44 PM

Geeze! I am so late to the welcoming party! But, anyways... Welcome! :up:
[dropshadow=blue]...Hello, I'm Yepits and I'm a kite-a-holic.[/dropshadow]

RonG

Postby RonG » Tue, Jul 28 2015, 09:49 PM

Thanks Yepits!! Hope to meet up with you all someday. When it is not so humid out and Mosquitos arent eating me alive. lol

Return to “Introductions”