Anybody from Michigan?

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
SkyDancer

Anybody from Michigan?

Postby SkyDancer » Fri, Feb 13 2015, 08:51 PM

Hi,
Finally decided to join this forum. Been on the Rev forum for a while, but got around to get on this one. Anyways, does anybody fly Revolutions in Michigan or more specifically Grand Rapids area? I'm looking for someone to fly with, I get lonely...

Thanks.

makatakam

Re: Anybody from Michigan?

Postby makatakam » Fri, Feb 13 2015, 10:57 PM

Hi, Brandon. Welcome to the IKE forum.

A bunch of us will be up there for the fest. Checks the MAPS tab, upper right of the page for those closest to you, here and also on the Rev and Kitelife forums.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Feb 13 2015, 11:00 PM

Hmmmm..............on this forum it doesn't show member locations. I thought it did before, could be wrong. Anyway, the other forums do.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Feb 14 2015, 06:29 AM

Welcome to the forum!

I think Trigger (Jim) lives in northwest Indiana, so he's fairly close. There's mytoyz as well - not sure exactly where he lives but I think it's over in that area. I'm probably forgetting someone . . . .

Not sure how many (active) members we have in southwest Michigan. We do have some members who fly over on the Michigan beaches during the summer months - pretty sure swannie has some connection to that area for summer weekends.

Now that you are on the forum, please feel free to post if you plan to go out to fly - you never know, some of us might join up - especially if you entice us to fly on the beaches of Michigan or Indiana (to split the travel distance). The beaches out there are some of the best places in the region to fly. I usually get over there at least a couple times in the summer to fly. Plus we have the retreat in September where we do nothing but fly on the Indiana Dunes SP beach for the weekend.

Shari

Postby Shari » Sat, Feb 14 2015, 01:20 PM

Hey Landon. Welcome to the club. :) Trigger aka Jim Atkins is from Niles, MI. Not sure where that is in reference to you but Jim is always willing to fly. I knew there was someone up that way.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sat, Feb 14 2015, 02:46 PM

Welcome Landon. I believe a few of us met you when you came over to Busse Woods last fall when JB was in town.

P1000474.jpg
Busse Woods
P1000474.jpg (221.98 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

Bill

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sat, Feb 14 2015, 03:10 PM

I'm here!!!! :)
Shari is correct, Niles here! I think its about 2.5 hrs up to grand rapids. I would love to meet in the middle sometime.

There is a guy in detroit that will meet in Kalamazoo, that may be a good location to meet.

Otherwise i fly in town, st joe, new buffalo and northern indiana when i'm at work.

Most of us will be in grand haven for mac kites festival in may.

I'm lookin to fly monday in st joe, hoping to get some pics on the frozen light house.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Feb 14 2015, 11:08 PM

I called you Brandon instead of Landon -- my bad, feeling stupid. Well at least it rhymes. For old farts like me, if it rhymes it's close enough. I'll probably just call you Don from this point on; at least it'll be half right all the time. That's me to your left in the photo. Xay is the guy to my left.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Feb 15 2015, 08:12 AM

makatakam wrote:I called you Brandon instead of Landon -- my bad, feeling stupid. Well at least it rhymes. For old farts like me, if it rhymes it's close enough. I'll probably just call you Don from this point on; at least it'll be half right all the time. That's me to your left in the photo. Xay is the guy to my left.

Who's the other guy? Not Landon? :-D

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sun, Feb 15 2015, 11:48 AM

Some guy who crashed the party. Thinks he knows how to fly a quad-line. We showed him a thing or two, or not.
:jester:
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Feb 15 2015, 12:04 PM

Yeah . . . he kept trying to tell me that I need to release the load on the sail, change hand positions, then reload the sail. I think he doesn't realize that my middle aged brain and body did not grow up on video games . . . . and it's all I can do to get the "change hand positions" part roughly correct. Something about precision (which is probably what I asked him about) or something or other . . . . . it's a blur . . . .

swannie

Postby swannie » Tue, Feb 17 2015, 07:42 PM

My parents have a place in Holland. I've been known to frequent the beach there during the summer.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 02:54 PM

Club fly in Holland! IKE crashes Swannie's place!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 04:58 PM

Or a nearby hotel.....

It would be funny if he did not tell his wife and we just keep showing up at the beach one by one.....

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 08:27 PM

That would be pretty funny. Especially if we didn't tell Brian either.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 09:01 PM

Only two problems . . . we have to know when he's in Holland, and also which beach. Of course, we could collaborate with his wife . . .

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 09:08 PM

LOL ... I'd say you could make a guess from my avatar, but you could only deduce I'm east of Wisconsin.:)
I'd love to do an IKE event there, but unfortunately the beach isn't very big. Well, actually, it's pretty large but the dune grass has taken over most of it leaving a narrow swath of sand between the water and what I assume will be a large sand dune in about 40 years. :)

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 09:13 PM

Oh, we could just meet you here.

That beach looks deep enough.

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 09:27 PM

Oh man ... then I'd have to drive ALL the way around the Lake Macatawa! :) I've never been over to that beach, so I can't speak to how crowded it is on the weekends. BBQ at my place in the evening, though.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Feb 19 2015, 10:02 PM

Narrowing search . . . . so . . . you are south of the State Park / Lake. Do you fly at Laketown Park or north of there?

I like BBQ, BTW. I'll bring beer.

Return to “Introductions”