Hello from West Central Illinois

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Robbie

Hello from West Central Illinois

Postby Robbie » Sat, Nov 15 2014, 12:24 PM

Hello everybody. My name is Robbie and I live in Hamilton, Il. I used to fly kites when I was a youngster. Now that I'm getting ready to turn 60 I figured it's time to get a kite and relive some of my childhood. I'm thinking on getting a 9 or 11ft. Delta to start out with and go from there. There's a ton of places to fly kites in this area so I don't have to worry about the space to fly in. I'm hoping in 2015 to make some of the festivals that you guy's attend here in the Tri-States (Ia, Il, Mo). I will be checking here on the forum for dates that the festivals fall on and see if I can make them. Thanks all :up:
Fly High and Fly Safe

basicbill

Re: Hello from West Central Illinois

Postby basicbill » Sat, Nov 15 2014, 05:08 PM

Hey welcome! Hope to meet up with you at a festival or sooner.

Bill

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Nov 15 2014, 05:34 PM

Welcome to IKE; hope to fly with soon.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 15 2014, 08:58 PM

Welcome to the club, Robbie!
Big Mike and his family run a kite shop, are members of our club, and terrific people to boot. If you haven't bought your delta yet, give them a call, their website is: http://thekitesite.net

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 07:18 AM

Welcome to IKE! Hope you can make it to some festivals next year. We also sometimes get together for club fly days (although they're pretty infrequent, and usually either near Chicago or Kankakee/Champaign just based on where most of the active members are located). There are a few members (the Killips and Tom Clark (Jeepster) who are a bit closer to your town.

My story is somewhat similar - flew as a teenager, and then didn't fly again until I was in my early 40s. Very much enjoying picking up this hobby again.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 09:37 AM

Hey Robbie, welcome to the club.

Robbie, I've got to be honest with you ... just drop the kite string and run. Run as fast and far away as you can. It's probably the cold weather or a mid-life crises (60 is the new age for mid-life panics) that has you thinking about kiting. So, fair warning, turn your back and leave it alone ... or else, your life will never be the same.

I attended a kite festival in Pontiac shortly after reaching my 60s. At the festival, Big Mike (the worst of the lot) gave me some instructions and then handed me the handles of a Rev. That man is so infectious, that I was immediately hooked. Over the years Big Mike has loaned me kites and MADE me come fly with him. His usual approach is "here try this" ... or "I've got a new kite, what do you think about it?" So, now I've got about a dozen Revs, another dozen homemade Rev like kites, and at least a dozen show kites with some inflatables thrown in for good measure.

Oh, and during the winter months, the club had a few sewing classes just to keep the obsession fresh. I now own five sewing machines and yards of fabric all dedicated to the next project.

Oh yes, the Pontiac festival closed down, so I had to travel further and further to get a festival fix! In fact, we even attended a festival across the Mississippi from you in Keokuk one year. That's only 120 miles away ... nothing like the trips to North Dakota, Washington, California, Mexico that we took this year to feed the obsession. Think that's bad ... wait until you meet the Killips or the Fosters or several others who have been bitten by the kiting bug more than I have.

So again, drop the string and run. Or, if you're brave enough to try just a taste of kite flying, you'll have to meet Tony Killlip and me mid-way (somewhere on the east side of Macomb would work) for a mini-festival.

Cheers ... and again welcome,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:06 AM

Jeepster wrote:Big Mike (the worst of the lot) . . . . His usual approach is "here try this" ... or "I've got a new kite, what do you think about it?"

Yeah, sure. Blame Big Mike.

Let's see, at my first ever club fly in 2010, there was plenty of wind, and Big Mike said . . . "here, fly my vented rev instead of that full sail . . . " and . . . I was hooked.

At KOLM this year, Big Mike said "I bet you that you can't hit the ceiling with that Emong . . . " . . . . and I bought an Emong from him that night after hitting the ceiling a bunch (indoor flying with a 30-40 foot ceiling in the central court of the hotel).

So yeah, run away now! Or not. Tom goes more fun places and hangs out with the greatest group of (mostly retired) kite junkies.

This park looks like a good place for you guys to meet! Especially if the wind is out of the south. Maybe Macomb needs a kite festival in the spring?

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:28 AM

Welcome Robbie. Welcome to fresh air, sunshine, camaraderie and lots and lots of kites. You need a kite for every possibility. Sure. You start with the SLK's, then it doesn't stop. Oh well. Best addition I ever could have had.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guy's I really appreciate it. Tom, I'm already at the point of no return. I have gave this a lot of thought and it's going to happen. I actually just came home from checking out some flying fields around here. If some of you guy's want to get together in Macomb sometime please get ahold of me. That sounds like a good time just waiting to happen. I know where that park is and it's wide open. There would be plenty of room there to fly. Now it's time to get back to the websites and finalize what kike I'm going to get. :up:
Fly High and Fly Safe

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 05:31 PM

So . . . get that delta single line kite . . . . cause that will be fun . . .

Then, you'll want to have a bit more fun. So, then the question is dual line, quad line, or both . . . . personally, I'd suggest trying to get together with some of us IKErs, because we'll loan you our kites to try. OPK (other people's kites) are the best way to get addicted (and find out what you like to fly). We all fly SLKs, but I will warn you, IKE is full of quad-line Revolution kite flyers. So . . . there's a bias towards handing you the handles to a rev if you fly with us.

If you are ever up near Chicago, let us know by posting here on IKE in the Club/Quick Fly forum. I can't fly much during the week, but there's a group of us who have been flying at least a couple times a month on the weekends since September. Getting a bit cold now, so we probably won't be as active until March / April next year. May still fly some before it gets too too cold.

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks Goes!!! I already know that first kite starting out will be a Delta. I just have to decide weather I want a 9 or an 11 foot. I'm leaning towards the 11. I like the idea of the 11 because of it's size. The more people that see it just maybe it will jump start some people into getting a kite. If I make it up to Chicago I will look some of you guy's up.
Fly High and Fly Safe

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Nov 16 2014, 06:12 PM

Bigger the kite, the bigger the anchor, and the stronger the line needed, especially as the winds pick up. You'll probably want 200 lb Dacron line for a kite like what you mention, although check with the manufacturer's recommended line strength. My bigger SLKs are usually anchored with either dog stakes or tent stakes (or sand anchor on the beach), and then I use a webbing strap from the anchor to the line (to prevent line breakage due to chafing on the anchor point). If it's a big kite (like my 19 ft deltas), I use two BIG anchors for safety. I also wear work gloves when launching or walking larger kites back down, before reeling in the line. Gloves are a must if the wind is up - all it takes is one time launching without gloves to figure out you'd rather have them on, and not need them, then not have them on and be unable to control the kite because it's pulling too hard. Been there once, really, really didn't like being in that position - having to hold onto braided dacron with bare hands and the wind is pulling it out through your fingers . . . not good. I was lucky not to get burned, and lucky I had someone else to walk the kite back down for me. Not going to let it happen again. BTW, I mentioned walking the kite down when landing because it's safer and it's better (and easier) to reel in without tension on the line.

And I'm not even a "big kite" guy - the Killips and Jeepster have some real BIG kites, so they really know what they're doing. I just like to play with smaller "big" kites.

Feel free to post here any time with questions.

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Thu, Nov 20 2014, 01:23 PM

Hold the phone and stop the presses. I will not be getting a Delta as my kite to start with. Instead I'm going to be getting a Revolution. I like the idea of a stunt kite way better then the Delta. I hope to have one in hand by the end of this month or the beginning of next month. I'm really looking forward to the challenge of learning the Rev and I have plenty of time to devote to it. This is going to be fun!! :up:
Fly High and Fly Safe

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Thu, Nov 20 2014, 01:44 PM

Robbie wrote:Hold the phone and stop the presses. I will not be getting a Delta as my kite to start with. Instead I'm going to be getting a Revolution. I like the idea of a stunt kite way better then the Delta. I hope to have one in hand by the end of this month or the beginning of next month. I'm really looking forward to the challenge of learning the Rev and I have plenty of time to devote to it. This is going to be fun!! :up:

Excellent. Took me a few months and dollars to get to that point.

Bill

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Nov 20 2014, 08:07 PM

It's ok, we won't tell.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 21 2014, 09:34 AM

Robbie wrote:Hold the phone and stop the presses. I will not be getting a Delta as my kite to start with. Instead I'm going to be getting a Revolution. I like the idea of a stunt kite way better then the Delta. I hope to have one in hand by the end of this month or the beginning of next month. I'm really looking forward to the challenge of learning the Rev and I have plenty of time to devote to it. This is going to be fun!! :up:

Excellent! It *will* be fun!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 21 2014, 09:38 AM

I just looked up Hamilton, IL. Too bad they stopped doing the kite fest in Keokuk, that would have been convenient for you.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Nov 21 2014, 11:47 AM

... And the dark side grabs another one. Here, have a cookie!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Nov 21 2014, 11:47 AM

Oh and welcome to IKE, Robbie.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, Nov 21 2014, 12:38 PM

Welcome to the Club! This is backdraft (or aka Big Mike). Would be great to see you at some festivals. Always love meeting new IKE members!

Big Mike!

Return to “Introductions”