My first kite forum...

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
yepits

My first kite forum...

Postby yepits » Sun, Aug 03 2014, 11:50 PM

Hello to all my fellow airborne addicts!!

I have been a long time waiting to get into what I was blown away buy when I was bug-eyed at my Grandfathers 12' delta kite so many years ago. Today I hail from the Rockford state-line area, with a passion for kites, fanned by the winds of every day off with my quiver in tow and my daughters in hand. With the constraints of a modern economy and a tighter than blend-line budget, I've just recently acquired a beginners grab bag of trainer foil kites. I have yet to satisfy the purist in me with the desire to have a quad rev in the mix, halted by necessary funds, and not wanting to get one of a pattern that will bore the eyes after repeated use... I'm picky!! So far my limited collection consists of exclusively HQ foils; one Symphony Beach II 1.7 Rainbow, a 1.8 Symphony TR, my SL Parafoil Easy for the 5 year old daughter, a Symphony Speed 2.5 (my general use favorite for now), and my larger than life Rush 4 350 Pro... my "[dropshadow=blue]Beast[/dropshadow]".

I am apparently the sole crazy kiter in the area, because I NeVeR see another kite aloft in the spots to fly around me. Other than the ones my daughters indulge me in asking them if they want to fly also. The almost double digit one is more inclined to take to the sky with me than the little one. She has more fun finding things in the fields we visit, as the fledgling scientist in her should. Well, I look forward to meeting a few of you soon, as I am in the process of convincing the wife to make the pilgrimage to you all's Retreat at the dunes this September! I hope it is as beautiful as the Google images imply!

Cheers.
[dropshadow=blue]...Hello, I'm Yepits and I'm a kite-a-holic.[/dropshadow]

makatakam

Re: My first kite forum...

Postby makatakam » Mon, Aug 04 2014, 07:52 AM

Hi, yepits, welcome to IKE and the forum. We all welcome you and look forward to flying with you and your family. We have all been bitten by the kite bug. The collection of foils you mentioned is definitely a great bunch to have and will provide years of fun and exercise (the "beast"). I have a Rev Super Blast 2-4 that has the same nickname.

Definitely come to the IKE Retreat in September, both days if you can. Lots to learn and a boatload of fun for everyone. There will be a large assortment of kites which you can check out first-hand, as opposed to just looking at them. You will get to try out the Rev kites also before you buy one. This will help you make an informed decision when the time comes to purchase. Many of the members have kites they may be willing to part with, and you will have the opportunity to inspect the kite before you commit.

There is a flyer in Janesville, WI, who flies Revs. He is new to the club and forum as well. His name is Bruce, handle is Rudy64. He is retired, and I am too. He has been on the Kitelife forum, but I don't recall seeing him on this forum yet, although I have told him about it. I will PM him and let him know you guys are close to each other. If you want to get together with me and fly, call me at 224.227.0638 anytime.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

yepits

Postby yepits » Mon, Aug 04 2014, 09:29 AM

:thanks:

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Mon, Aug 04 2014, 05:16 PM

Welcome to the club - hope to see you at the retreat!

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Mon, Aug 04 2014, 06:32 PM

yepits

Welcome. I'm an IKE newcomer, also. Everyone here has been very helpful.

I'm in St. Charles and often travel towards the Rockford area. I'd be willing to get together sometime. One of my kite flying places between us is the Burlington Prairie Forest Preserve just northwest of Burlington.

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Aug 04 2014, 10:42 PM

Welcome Yepits. There is also the Wisconsin Kiters club. Some of them might be closer to you.

There is also the Frank Mots kite festival at Milwaukee Veterans park Sep 6 & 7. Thats a good size festival that some IKErs usually make it up to.

As for being the only kite flier, it only takes one. We end up finding each other somehow.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Aug 05 2014, 12:18 AM

Welcome yepits!

tmadz is right . . . we do end up finding each other . . . on IKE!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 05 2014, 06:45 AM

Welcome to the club!
I'd be happy to loan you one of my Revs to fly at the retreat.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Aug 05 2014, 01:09 PM

Most kite fliers are happy to let you fly OPK (other peoples kites). It's the best way to try things out and see what you like. I'd be happy to hand you the lines to my kites. Hope to see you at the retreat. It's nice because the beach is usually empty that time of year with good wind.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Aug 06 2014, 03:40 AM

Welcome! I would also be willing to let you fly one of my Revs, or any of my kites really. If you can make the retreat it is a great event. Probably my favorite of the year. It is slowly turning into a small unofficial festival.
-mikey

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Aug 06 2014, 10:22 AM

Welcome to the forum! I'll second what everyone else has said ... you're welcome to try out any of my kites.

Cheers,
Tom

yepits

Postby yepits » Thu, Aug 07 2014, 05:28 PM

Thank you all for a warm welcome!

I am getting more and more excited to attend the retreat! As is the willingness to convert me from the power side to the finesse one, as am I in the reverse for you all as well! There is no better joy for me than seeing the wonder and amazement in the eyes of a noob to power once they have their first OMG moment holding a power kite. So thank you for the offer and I will gladly reciprocate the offer, albeit a bit overly willing though... I will have my camera in hand to capture as many of such moments as possible!

Praying for good steady wind speeds in a useable range for us all~
David.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Aug 07 2014, 11:02 PM

yepits wrote:Praying for good steady wind speeds in a useable range for us all~
David.

Lesson #2 the more kites you have the wider the wind range. We'll be flying no matter what.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Aug 08 2014, 09:21 PM

TMadz wrote:
yepits wrote:Praying for good steady wind speeds in a useable range for us all~
David.

Lesson #2 the more kites you have the wider the wind range. We'll be flying no matter what.

Maybe even including at zero mph . . . . although it's a bit more work.

Shari

Postby Shari » Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:26 PM

Hi welcome to the club! I am a Rev flier that loves to share (and teach) Hope you can make it to the retreat, it's a great time to be had by all.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Fri, Sep 19 2014, 08:21 AM

Sorry for the late welcome, but welcome. I'll be at the retreat both days. I'm easy to spot ... I think I'm the tallest guy in the club!
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Shari

Postby Shari » Mon, Sep 22 2014, 08:58 PM

:welcome:
Last edited by Shari on Thu, Sep 25 2014, 10:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Sep 23 2014, 09:59 AM

KiteVoice wrote:Sorry for the late welcome, but welcome. I'll be at the retreat both days. I'm easy to spot ... I think I'm the tallest guy in the club!

Maybe Jay would be willing to let us attach our line laundry to him. Beats having to put up a pole.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Sep 25 2014, 09:40 PM

I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Return to “Introductions”