New Guy from your neighbor to the west

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Thunderstick

New Guy from your neighbor to the west

Postby Thunderstick » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 12:55 AM

Greetings from the Heartland! I'm not actually from Illinois but from your state neighbor to the west....Missouri. I was referred here by an IKE member.

I've been kind of digging the recreational kite flying thing for the last 20 years when we started making it an Easter family tradition to fly with the family. My first kite 20 years ago was a single line kite that flew really, really well! (Now you can start laughing....) It was a $5 Batman kite. :-P We found this type of kite easy to find and purchase of course but sometimes the kites were destroyed within minutes after first launch. After a few years, I found a better delta kite $15 that lasted several years. Then I found a kite store on the internet (IntoTheWind) and bought a 9' delta. :up: I was hooked on better quality kites then. After the 9' delta suffered an early death at the hands of a nasty tree due to line failure, :censored: I replaced it with another 9' delta. A few years later, I added a 30' dragon kite. Then, my first dual line, a Beatle. Then, a Symphony 1.8 and just a few weeks ago, I joined the quad line dark side with a Revolution 1.5. My kite flying has been slowed this year after sustaining a serious back injury and subsequent surgery but I'm trying to make up for lost time now. I've been out 3 times this week getting my feet wet with the Rev.

The picture below is from this year's Easter Family Kite Fly. I'm the doofus looking guy standing. My dad and nephew on the picnic table watching my grand nephew fly my 30' dragon. Whenever there was a bit of a wind gust, he would get scared and drop the line so I had to chase it down a few times. My son's Mighty Bug foil kite is in the background.

Looking forward to reading and learning more about kiting on this forum. Thanks for letting this foreigner in!

small_Starting them young.jpg
small_Starting them young.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have kite, will fly!

prairierose

Re: New Guy from your neighbor to the west

Postby prairierose » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 06:52 AM

What a great Easter tradition! Welcome to the club, Thunderstick :)

Hope your recovery continues well and we see you at a festival flying your rev soon!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 07:34 AM

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to flying with you soon.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 08:26 AM

Welcome. From one new member to another.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 08:46 AM

Welcome! You've created great family memories with your Easter fly. Hope we get to see you at some midwest festivals.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 08:58 AM

Welcome Thunderstick. You've chosen well with the Rev. These would be easier on your back and lord knows a few on this forum have been know to sit while flying as well. :roll: Keep flying.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 09:07 AM

Thunderstick wrote:... I've been ... getting my feet wet with the Rev. ...

Hmmm ... if you're getting your feet wet while flying a Rev, might I suggest that you're doing it wrong ... it's the kite that's supposed to go in the water!!

Cheers and welcome to the club. Where in Missouri do you reside? Our quad cities member moved further west, but our St. Louis member is still in the area.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 09:31 AM

Thunderstick wrote:Greetings from the Heartland! I'm not actually from Illinois but from your state neighbor to the west....Missouri. I was referred here by an IKE member.

Welcome to the club! We've often thought of changing IKE to "International Kite Enthusiasts", we have plenty of members that aren't in Illinois.
I've also thought of doing a club fly in St Louis, but I don't know if that's near you.

Thunderstick

Postby Thunderstick » Fri, Jul 04 2014, 11:28 AM

Jeepster wrote:
Thunderstick wrote:... I've been ... getting my feet wet with the Rev. ...

Hmmm ... if you're getting your feet wet while flying a Rev, might I suggest that you're doing it wrong ... it's the kite that's supposed to go in the water!!

Cheers and welcome to the club. Where in Missouri do you reside? Our quad cities member moved further west, but our St. Louis member is still in the area.

Cheers,
Tom

Kansas City, MO
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have kite, will fly!

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, Jul 07 2014, 08:45 PM

Welcome to the Club!
Big Mike

Return to “Introductions”