Greetings from St. Charles, Illinois

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Mike

Re: Greetings from St. Charles, Illinois

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 13 2014, 08:53 PM

sounds like you are well on your way!

The handles that come with the Exp usually have equal length attachment lines at the top and bottom. You attach your flying lines at the end of these lines.
But there is a better way. If the handle's attachment lines have additional knots, you can attach the flying lines at a place other the end.
By having the top attachment lines longer than the bottom, you will increase the tension on the bottom lines. As you seem to have figured out, most people prefer to fly that way.

You can untie the loop of line at the top of the handle, add some additional knots and reattach it as a single, un-looped line.
There's a photo at this post.

With the top and bottom lines as in the photo, try attaching the bottom flying line furthest from the handle (at the end of the attachment line) and the top line a couple inches from the end. I usually fly with 5 or 6" difference between my top and bottom lines, but don't start there.

There's more verbiage in this post too.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Sun, Jul 13 2014, 09:07 PM

Mike wrote:sounds like you are well on your way!

The handles that come with the Exp usually have equal length attachment lines at the top and bottom. You attach your flying lines at the end of these lines.
But there is a better way. If the handle's attachment lines have additional knots, you can attach the flying lines at a place other the end.
By having the top attachment lines longer than the bottom, you will increase the tension on the bottom lines. As you seem to have figured out, most people prefer to fly that way.

You can untie the loop of line at the top of the handle, add some additional knots and reattach it as a single, un-looped line.
There's a photo at this post.

With the top and bottom lines as in the photo, try attaching the bottom flying line furthest from the handle (at the end of the attachment line) and the top line a couple inches from the end. I usually fly with 5 or 6" difference between my top and bottom lines, but don't start there.

There's more verbiage in this post too.

That's super info. I appreciate it.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jul 13 2014, 10:08 PM

Hey Mike, big thanks for posting up those links to the handle knots. I was posting from my phone before (and over at a friend's house for dinner) so I could not leave a longer post. I was thinking I needed to mention exactly what you posted.

IMHO, it's not that unusual to see some slack at times in the bottom lines, especially when you're starting out quad flying. Keeping the sail loaded is a challenge - especially in light winds, and it takes some time to get a feel for the hand, arm, and handle positions that will result in balanced tension on all lines at different points in the window. That's a long way of saying "don't worry about it" and just get out and enjoy your flying.

I'm just very glad to welcome another flyer over to the "dark side!" Watch out . . . . it's a little addictive, especially when you start flying team with others.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Mon, Jul 21 2014, 06:01 PM

Today was my first time out with my Rev EXP in some decent wind. About 10 mph. About an hour during lunchtime. Mark had advised me on Saturday to takeoff, climb up into the wind window and then descend ever so slowly under control to an upright landing. I think he said to practice it a hundred times. Then do it inverted. Haven't tried it inverted, but that's all that I did for about 45 minutes. Anyone watching must have thought I was nuts.

But it did feel good after a while. With a decent wind, I could really feel and see the effect of the controls.

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jul 21 2014, 06:19 PM

Alright. You're off and running Bill.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 21 2014, 09:35 PM

Sounds great! :up: :up:

I think everybody thinks we're nuts anyway!

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Jul 21 2014, 11:20 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Sounds great! :up: :up:

I think everybody thinks we're nuts anyway!

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you are.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Thu, May 07 2015, 07:31 PM

Thought I'd add to this original post of mine.

Today I was out Rev practicing for about an hour in the 20 plus mph winds. Probably extra-vent winds. But since I don't have one, I rigged up my vented and was careful. To slow things down a bit, I thought about adding another knot of brake above what I usually fly with. Instead, for whatever reason, I decided to lower my grip on the handles. About a finger width maybe. Holy cow... it made a difference... like adding more brake. Which I guess makes sense when I thought about it. So I experimented with how far down I could change the grip and what was the result. Comes a point where you've moved the grip too much and the kite gets tough to control.

I've read a whole bunch of stuff about Rev flying over the last year and have never seen or heard anything about changing the handle grip location to control speed. Or did I miss it?

Bill
Last edited by basicbill on Thu, May 07 2015, 08:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Thu, May 07 2015, 07:46 PM

Deleted
Last edited by basicbill on Thu, May 07 2015, 08:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, May 07 2015, 08:23 PM

Yes, moving your hands down on the handles effectively increases the brake. One of my bad flying habits is to ride the tops of the handles, with my fingers right under the leaders. I only move them down if I'm on a full vent, all the way out on the leader knots, all the way in on the bottom, and there's still too much wind. It's just a bad habit left over from my early flying days . . . but I tend not to worry about it and just go out and fly . . . .

I probably should move my lines in one knot, and my hands down a bit . . . .

FlyingJim

Postby FlyingJim » Thu, May 07 2015, 09:20 PM

Hi and welcome to the group Bill. I have several dual lines you can use at some point as I am learning the quad line currently. Look forward to seeing y'all at the next fly.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, May 08 2015, 04:16 PM

I confess. I"m another move-hands-on-the-handle guy. (MHOTH?)
I keep my line attached at the same knot unless I'm flying in gale force winds. Mostly because I'm too lazy to change it. I adjust by moving my hands on handles a little when needed. In light winds, I fly like Steve.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, May 08 2015, 06:11 PM

No . . . you fly better than Steve, but that's OK. :-D :up:

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Mon, Jul 13 2015, 07:09 PM

One year ago today, July 13, was my first time grabbing the handles and getting a Rev kite (EXP) airborne. If you can call what I did that day kite flying. I chronicaled that frustrating couple of hours here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2450&start=20#p25074

Now a year later, after much advice, encouragement, practice and more practice I'm frankly amazed at the progress that I've made. The first time that I met up with Mark and Xay at Busse Woods I was astonished at what they could do. Now I think I can keep up with them most of the time. From refusing invitations to join into a group fly to longing for anything but another solo flight.

I've gone from that first EXP to about a half dozen Revolution kites in various sizes and covering most wind ranges. Several different line lengths and weights. Some spiffy custom handles. Spare lines because I don't want to be sidelined if a set should break. A kite bag. And new helpful friends.

It's been fun. I still practice... a lot. Today to remember the one year anniversary I went out locally in the heat and humidity and flew for about an hour.
Rev Fly 7-13-2015.jpg
Rev Fly 7-13-2015.jpg (140.27 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

Hope to see you all out there soon. Soon!

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 13 2015, 07:37 PM

Congrats, thanks, and glad you're here. Maybe we'll get to fly soon.

P.s. I'm still working on rev stuff after five years .....

Pps ....I must be getting close to my five year reviversary......I know I had been flying a couple times before I joined Ike and met these crazy people.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jul 13 2015, 09:45 PM

congrats on your guys reviversary :)
I've been flying Revs off and on for close to 20 years. We all have stuff we can practice and improve on.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:05 PM

Congrats Bill. I can't believe it's only been a year.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:31 PM

Bill - you got me thinking about when I started. Thank you.

I looked it up. August 30, 2010, I believe, is the first rev purchase (thank you paypal history) . . . . I just remembered I held handles at the Wheaton kite festival in April 2010, but did not fly crash for more than 5 minutes, before I told Brett (kite whisperererer from Milwaukee) that I didn't want to break his kite. So I think my personal reviversary should be Aug 30 (or maybe 31, since I probably didn't fly on Aug 30)?

Started flying Revs immediately after buying the first one. Met Mike & Rose at Dekalb that September, and makatakam told me about IKE that evening. Pretty sure I had 3 by the end of October (I blame Big Mike for putted a vented in my hands at Pontiac).

Been a fun five years. Thanks guys and gals for hanging out & flying kites. Makes me happy.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:46 PM

You've made tremendous progress, Bill. Keep it going at this pace and you'll be better than anyone else in a hurry -- I don't even want to know how many hours you've put into it, but it shows! Practice .. . . . . . is the key. (Of course, a little knowledge goes a long way too.) I watch the tutorial videos frequently, and always pick up on one or two fine points I had overlooked or forgotten.

Really glad that you're enjoying it. Good to have you with us. See you again soon.

P.S. - I got started in May/June of 2009, first with duals and finally with quads in late August or September, home-made, fishing line and wooden handles.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Return to “Introductions”