Hi Guys, Andrew from Kentucky here

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Escapereality

Hi Guys, Andrew from Kentucky here

Postby Escapereality » Mon, May 20 2013, 08:36 PM

Hello IKE, I am Andrew from Kentucky. I lived in Schaumburg, IL for about 2 years from 2010-2012 so I am pretty familiar with the area. I just recently got into Kite flying after purchasing one on vacation. Oh what I would give to have those beach winds every day of the year!

I purchased a couple of starter kites while I was down in Florida. Both of which are made by HQ. A small 1.3m parafoil kite, and a starter stunt kite called the HQ Bebop.

Today I made a rather large purchase and picked up a Prism Zephyr, so I guess I'm kind of dedicated to the sport now as it was not a cheap purchase.

Just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. I am in the Deerfield area every couple of months for work and travel to Chicago once/twice a year for conferences. I'm hoping to attend one of the festivals in the area. It would be nice to meet some fellow fliers.

Mike

Re: Hi Guys, Andrew from Kentucky here

Postby Mike » Mon, May 20 2013, 09:07 PM

Hi Andrew!
We used to fly at a festival in Cincinnati, which is close to Kentucky. But sadly, that festival is no more.

Anyway, whenever you'll be in the Chicago area, post here on the forum. I bet at least a few people will be available to meet up with you for an impromptu club fly.

In addition to flying dualies, I bet someone will let you try a quad too...

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Mon, May 20 2013, 09:48 PM

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're always looking for a reason & more people to fly!!!!
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, May 21 2013, 09:24 AM

I would say they will INSIST you try to fly a quad! Welcome! Hope to meet you in person sometime!

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Tue, May 21 2013, 12:48 PM

Welcome to the club. What part of Ky? I grew up in Paris. Hope we can meet sometime.

Paul

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Tue, May 21 2013, 01:51 PM

welcome!

some great people in the club. I am from the other side of the lake(michigan) but have been able to meet up with people pretty often. I also have a Zephyr and love it! I just had my one year anniversary this weekend and the Grand HAven festival, so I am not a great trickster but am learning slowly and have a few tricks down. More than happy to give you some pointers or tell you where to get some.

the REVS kinda rule around here,, make sure you hold out for the cookies they offer! 3 months on a rev and you are feeling pretty good about yourself :) the duals take a bit longer but its a whole different style.

enjoy your time outdoors!

jim

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Tue, May 21 2013, 08:59 PM

No kidding, I completely agree with the duals vs. quad thing. I really need to practice on my duals....
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, May 21 2013, 10:45 PM

Welcome!

A couple thoughts for you.

June 8, there will be a kite festival in Memphis, Ind., just a little north of Kentucky. Some members of the Hoosier Kitefliers Society plan to be there.

Even though the Cincinnati kite festival got canceled, there's still an active club there, PIGS Aloft. I don't believe they have a website, but I recommend contacting Joe & Debbie Von Bokern (dvonbokern@fuse.net) to get on their mailing list to stay posted on events they're attending in Ohio and Kentucky. I believe they're flying at an event in Boone County, KY June 8.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 21 2013, 11:37 PM

Welcome!!!!! Post up any time you are in Chicago, plus check out the calendar link for a list of upcoming events in the general region.

Quad? What's a quad? ;-)

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, May 22 2013, 08:49 AM

Welcome Andrew,
Look forward to meeting you at a future event. Let us know when you're going to be able to fly and are in the area.
Big Mike

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, May 22 2013, 11:36 AM

Hi Andrew, and welcome. Looking forward to meeting and flying with you soon. Remember to post up when you plan to be in the area.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, May 22 2013, 12:12 PM

Must be warm weather . . . Mark's back! Hello Mark!

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Thu, May 23 2013, 01:08 AM

he meant REVOLUTION!!!! RELAX!!!! it's gonna be OK!!!!! :up:

or

Maybe he was talking about motorized bikes!?!?!? probably a SERVER ERROR... posted in a different forum..

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Jun 05 2013, 12:09 PM

Andrew:

Here's a message that PIGS Aloft in Cincy just sent out about upcoming activities in Ohio and Kentucky:

Hi All,

We've been invited to fly kites at Central Park in Boone County, Kentucky on Saturday, June 8.
The fly is from 12-3, we'll start setting up banners @ 11:00.
Bring your kite and join in the Fun !!!

Our regular Second Sunday of the month fly is on June 9 in front of the Voice of America Museum,
we'll fly from noon -5. Join us for an afternoon of kite flying and camaraderie.
Mark your calendar for Sunday, July 14, August 11, September 8.....

There are still some spots open for Camp with the Mason-Deerfield Arts Alliance www.masonarts.org
I will be teaching classes the week of June 24-27
9:00-12:00 kitemaking
you get to make a 2 feet x 10 feet long plastic octopus style kite or a 2 feet by 20 feet long dragon style kite, the artwork on your kite is up to YOU !
1:00-4:00 musical instrument construction
we'll make rainsticks, drums and rattlesnakes. You will use some hand tools to create them and add paint to make them beautiful and then the music starts !

If you are traveling this summer check out the AKA (American Kitefliers Association) website for Festivals all around the country and world www.aka.kite.org

We'll see you out on the flying field !
PIGS Aloft Kite Club
People Interested in Getting Stuff Aloft
We are a group of kite enthusiast out playing with the wind.
We are available for kite festivals, workshops and educational programs.
Everyone is welcome to join us !!!
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Return to “Introductions”