Hi from a brand spanking new kite flier

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
TMadz

Hi from a brand spanking new kite flier

Postby TMadz » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 05:59 PM

Hi folks. I'm brand new to this thing, but I've been bitten hard. (So far at least) We were on vacation in Myrtle Beach a few years ago and I saw a guy flying a kite on the beach and was immediately drawn to it. We left before I could stop by a kite shop to learn more about it, but this year we went back and I rememebred it right away. My wife let me run to Kligs Kites and I bought an entry SkyDog Learn to Fly dual line. I couldn't put it down. I flew it every day, with or without kids. I've got 4 from teenager to 6 yrs.

Well we returned home and I've been running outside to the park across the street every day after work, especially this week with the changing weather fronts in some decent winds and gusts to fly. I love it. My wife has had patience with me so far, but I have a plan to get her to try it this weekend, wind provided.

Now, I really want to move up to a good intro kite and I'm not sure what to get. I looked around a lot and had decided on a Prism Nexus. Can someone verify if this is a good choice or some other good options to be had? I don't want to spend too much yet, but am willing to spend for something good. Thanks and I look for ward to gleaning as many tips and tricks from you as I can.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Darkspark

Re: Hi from a brand spanking new kite flier

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 08:52 PM

Hello And welcome to the club, And the downward spiral of sport kiting. :-)

For your second kite, are you looking for a trick/ slackline kind of flying, or just zipping around the sky? Like anything else, I would recommend getting the nicest one you can afford, otherwise you will be looking for something different after flying the new one for a while.

Personally I would tell you to by a Revolution EXP and join the darkside. But it is a completely different experience. Try coming to the festivals(list on top right). Then you can get a chance to fly a couple different kites, and a Rev. Check out some videos on youtube of revs and other kites you may be interested in. That way you can see them in action, and have a better idea what each one is capable of. Come back with any questions. When you are ready to buy something go to thekitesite.net. He is a club member, and would be more than willing to help you out. --Mikey

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:18 PM

Welcome to IKE! I'll ditto what Mikey (Darkspark) said - plus add that club flys are another place you can meet up to try out different kites. We haven't gotten together for some time . . . . but we probably will by the end of the month. I can guarantee that some club members will let you try a four line Revolution if you are interested - there's always someone with Rev(s) at a club fly.

Where's work and where is the park?

One additional note - I'm going to update Mikey's latest club fly thread to see if anyone is still interested in flying this weekend.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 10:42 PM

Thanks guys. I'm really brand spanking new. I'm getting my feet wet with the dual lines. I'm sure that after I've been addicted for a while that I will come over to the dark side, but for now I'll stick with the gateway kites. :up:

I have a large park across the street from my house and a large pond next to it so I have plenty of space to really let me freak kite fly.

With 4 active kids, my free time is limited, but I hope to make it out to a group fly sometime. That's why I'm lucky to have a big open park to run out to for some quick decompression.

:thanks:

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 11:19 PM

Sure . . . . yeah, the "gateway" kites. You know, come to think of it, my first rev flight was "free" at a festival. Which led to . . . . a couple dual line kites . . . and then a couple more duallies (with the idea to make a stack), and a couple small SLKs. Then the first rev. And the second . . . . . and . . . . a few more, you know, because I got a good deal. I don't "need" them, yeah that's it. Sure, I could stop at any time. Well, these are just for my kids, so we can all fly together. Yeah, that's it. Sure. Then the giant delta SLK in case I have any line laundry (I need to get that one out again soon). Well, maybe I needed the speed series rev for variety, yeah that's it . . . . no, no, I don't need any more kites. Well, maybe just one.

Let's just say that this doesn't end well. There were some witnesses to my addiction at the KP10 kite auction. No really, I wasn't bad - I only bought one auction "item" at the auction. I can honestly tell my wife that I didn't buy a single kite at the auction. It fits in a suitcase . . . . .

By the way, what ages are the kids? My son is 10, and he flies Revs (at least when I can get him to go to club fly events). If your kids have any interest, bring them along to a club fly. We'll make sure they have a fun time (but you might end up having to get some more kites).

One additional (long) note - Revs fly differently than dual lines, but I don't think I'd say they are harder to fly. I actually think learning high end tricks on a dual line is harder than flying a Rev (although I'm sure some may disagree). There was a thread over on the Rev forum recently with someone asking if their girlfriend should start on revs or dual lines. The best answers I read had to do with your personality and your activity level. If you want to sit in a chair and have a drink while coloring the sky, then single lines are probably best. If you are active and want to learn lots of tricks - some of which are quite hard to master, then dual line flying may be for you. There are lots of slack line tricks possible with high end dual line kites. However, for the most part, you can't fly right next to other people because dual lines require more space and are harder to hover in one place (more of an airplane than a helicopter). If you want to learn tricks and are social, then quad line flying might be best. While there are fewer slack line tricks with quads, you can stand right next to other people and fly together in groups or team fly because the quad lines allow more control in the wind window - i.e. you can go forward, hover, back up, etc. - more like the helicopter of kites. However, there are fewer slack line tricks possible with a rev (and virtually none by yours truly).

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 11:31 PM

:welcome:

The Dark Side calls us all. I will be working on my quad flying sometime this weekend. However, I still really, really enjoy flying duals, and get a kick out of flying UL's & SUL's. Between the dark side & the light, there is twilight.

:piratecap:
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 05 2012, 11:38 PM

illescasd wrote::

the dark side & the light, there is twilight.

:piratecap:

Sparkly vampires?
Last edited by goestoeleven on Fri, Apr 06 2012, 02:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 06 2012, 09:31 AM

Welcome to the club, TMadz!

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Apr 06 2012, 09:49 AM

Welcome to the club!!! Single, dual, or quad it really doesn't matter as long as you've got ripstop in the sky!!!

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Apr 06 2012, 10:23 AM

Jeepster wrote:Welcome to the club!!! Single, dual, or quad it really doesn't matter as long as you've got ripstop in the sky!!!

Cheers,
Tom

You are right - might as well fly them all just to be safe.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Apr 06 2012, 01:02 PM

Hi and welcome to the club.

Doesn't matter what you start with or what you prefer; eventually you'll fly them all. Grab whatever tickles your fancy at the moment and go fly.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Apr 06 2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks again gang. I am about to run outside and take advantage of the great sunshine and weather for the holiday weekend to fly. My 15 yr old has no interest unless it's electronic or plugged in, but I know my other kids 13,9 and 6 have watched me through our front windows. I can't think of a better way to get them outside and away from the dull light of a screen. I've told my wife that I have to get more kites...for the kids, you know.

I hope everyone has a chance to get them in the air this weekend.

Sorry for the groaner, but I'm feeling cliche. "May the sun shine upon you, may the wind fill your sails, and may you not break any spars." :-D

Shari

Postby Shari » Sat, Apr 07 2012, 09:17 AM

Welcome to the club. :)
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Sat, Apr 07 2012, 10:48 PM

...and a BIG and WINDerFULL :welcome: from me too!!!!!!!!!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Thu, Apr 19 2012, 10:37 PM

I just wanted to give a quick update on my progress. I did decide to get a Prism Quantum to start and am learning the ropes all over again with a good quality kite. I decided to buy a Prism snapshot 1.9 for fun for the older kids (not to mention that my 13yr old was beating the heck out of my starter kite and I was afraid he would break a spar on my new kite).

Monday we had some big gusts, so I told my 13yr old to take it out for a fly just for fun (and at his expense) I got a nice vid with him getting pulled about 25-30 feet through the grass. LMAO. Now my 15yr old wants to try. I think I might get some converts yet.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Apr 19 2012, 10:54 PM

Lots of festivals this spring . . . . so lots of opportunities for you and your kids to get out to fly. Seriously, the fastest way to learn "mad kiter skilz" is to meet up with fellow IKE members and other fliers at festivals. We'll be the people with bags overflowing with kites . . . . and big grins on our faces. I'd suggest checking out the festivals page or the threads for club flys. There are a few this weekend (including Wheaton, which is not far from Sugar Grove). I'll be there for a bit earlier in the day (although I have to take my daughter various places in the afternoon). Plus, ANYONE can suggest a club fly for ANY TIME and ANY PLACE. Just post up if you are going out to fly, and maybe somebody will be able to join you. Do you work closer in to the western 'burbs? As the days get longer, I sometimes get to fly after work / on my way home.

P.S. Post the link to the youtube vid . . . . :)

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Fri, Apr 20 2012, 11:03 AM

TMadz,
Your thought process is mine exactly. I bought the Prism 1.9 Snapshot for that same exact reason, then I got a Prism Hypnotist. This way when someone wants to try, they can fly the foil & I won't have a major anxiety attack.

I'll be flying this weekend on some FL beach and won't make any of this weekend's events. Goestoeleven (Steve) is correct; you learn so much more from flying w/other people, and even more fun. TJ & I leaned more from Steve in 3 hours vs. 3 months.

May the wind gods favor you,
David
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Fri, Apr 20 2012, 11:32 AM

Hey Goes (Steve), I'm going to try to make it to Wheaton Saturday. It is unusual that the kids don't have 6-7 activities during the day. I'm going to try and bring one or two of my offspring with to check it out too. I hope we get a change to meet.

My Snapshot already has the grass stains to show adequate use, but so far it's holding up great.

I'm starting my own business, so I'm working out of the house right now. It's hard to look at the wind blowing and not run out to the park to let it fly. Must keep discipline.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Todd

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 20 2012, 12:20 PM

Hiya Todd,
welcome to the club! Hope to run into you at a club fly or festival this summer. I only fly quads, but your always welcome to fly one of mine.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Apr 20 2012, 10:09 PM

Todd - I know how you feel about looking out at the wind and wishing you were out there. The wind was howling today and it was cold outside, but I kept thinking it would be a good day for flying.

About Wheaton - due to kid-activities, I'll probably only be at Wheaton from about 10am (I hope) until maybe 12:30. Then I turn into a daughter-taxi-service for at least an hour. I'm hoping I'll get back by 1:30 and be able to stay until about 2:45 (when I turn into a taxi service again). My son will be with me tomorrow. We'll be flying quad line (and I'm hoping we can fly on the roped off field when the teams are not performing, since the revs need a fair amount of room). However, we'll see how crowded it gets on the open fields - maybe there will be enough room there.

Send me a PM if you're coming, and we'll connect.

Return to “Introductions”