Helloooo!

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
illescasd

Helloooo!

Postby illescasd » Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:44 PM

Hi everyone, I am a newbie, treating my kite fever. My fever started this summer after being dormant since my childhood. Anyways, I really enjoy hanging line laundry, and just got my first dual line... I know I'll have several more & eventually work my way to a quad. Along the way, I plan on getting swayed down the ultralight path as well.

I look forward to flying and learning, sharing, and more flying.

:thanks:

David
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

goestoeleven

Re: Helloooo!

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Oct 05 2011, 12:27 AM

Welcome to the forum. We'll have to get together sometime since you are in Wheaton. I sometimes fly at Graf Park, sometimes Seven Gables, and sometimes down at Danada in the horse ring near the Forest Preserve offices. It depends on the wind direction. No plans for me this week due to work, but you never know.

For me this is also the return to a hobby of mine from 20-30 years ago. Watch out for quads though . . . the "dark side" hobby bites hard (as I know from personal experience).

There is an IKE retreat in a couple weeks down at the Indiana dunes. I probably can't make it myself due to work, but if you want to learn to fly quads, that would be the time & place to show up, because there will be quite a few IKE members there (at least as of the last updates to the retreat thread).

One more thing . . . in case your signature is a reference to The Matrix . . .

Boy: Try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 05 2011, 08:45 AM

Welcome David!
Yes, we've got a lot of quad fliers here, but variety is important and we do have several folks who make, buy, and fly single line kites (SLKs) and laundry.
Festival season is winding down for the year, but that just means we will have more club flys.

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Oct 05 2011, 09:24 AM

Another welcome! Like Steve said if you are free next weekend come to the dunes. Even if its for a couple hours. I can guarantee you there will be a wide variety of kite there. All of which you would be welcome to try. Welcome to the club!-Mikey

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Oct 05 2011, 10:27 AM

Welcome David.

One of the great things about the club is the ability to fly other people's kites (OPK) to see if you like that aspect of the hobby or that particular kite. Or, is that one of the bad things about the club ... I forget. Big Mike handed me the handles to one of his quad kites (dark blue full vent) on a Saturday ... by Monday I'd order my first quad and by Friday it was in hand. Haven't stopped buying, building and flying since then. Never would have started if not for Big Mike's offer. Oh, and let's see ... Little Mike, Mikey, Jynx, David (Daytona Dave ... although he prefers the nickname of Dayton Dave), Zack and others have all let me fly their kites through the years.

Cheers,
Tom

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Oct 05 2011, 11:05 AM

Hi, and welcome to the darkside in advance.

I fly singles, duals, and quads -- none too well -- but you've picked the right place. Lots of good people with plenty of knowledge and experience to share. Even though quad-line kites aren't what you fly (yet), you'll probably get hooked on them as I did shortly after joining. The members of this club fly everything there is, so you're in good company.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Oct 05 2011, 11:36 AM

:welcome: From me too!

Looking forward to sharing my kites (if you wish) and the sky with you at an upcoming get-together!

It's a WINDerFULL Club...with plenty of free and willing help and encouragement!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

RadarRider

Postby RadarRider » Thu, Oct 06 2011, 03:05 PM

Welcome fellow sky-painter. Glad to have you on board! :welcome:

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Thu, Oct 06 2011, 11:05 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Welcome to the forum. We'll have to get together sometime since you are in Wheaton. I sometimes fly at Graf Park, sometimes Seven Gables, and sometimes down at Danada in the horse ring near the Forest Preserve offices. It depends on the wind direction. No plans for me this week due to work, but you never know.

For me this is also the return to a hobby of mine from 20-30 years ago. Watch out for quads though . . . the "dark side" hobby bites hard (as I know from personal experience).

There is an IKE retreat in a couple weeks down at the Indiana dunes. I probably can't make it myself due to work, but if you want to learn to fly quads, that would be the time & place to show up, because there will be quite a few IKE members there (at least as of the last updates to the retreat thread).

One more thing . . . in case your signature is a reference to The Matrix . . .

Boy: Try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.

Yes it is... Better than using cliche "Thinking out of the box"
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Return to “Introductions”