Looking to meet new friends and instructors...

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Captain

Looking to meet new friends and instructors...

Postby Captain » Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:43 PM

Hey Guys...

I am Daniel from Chicago and here to meet new friends and someone who can help me learn to fly kites. Been going out by myself and making ass of myself at the park for couple of weeks now...consider me a complete beginner..

I have:

1) 4-5 single line kites
2) Revolution Quad line (not flown yet)
3) Prism Dual Line Stunt kite (lot of tries)
4) Power kite (not flown yet)

Look forward to meet you guys at next flying...also anyone here I can approach for 1-on-1 instructions ? More than happy to buy few cold beers or money is fine too...

thanks!

Mike

Re: Looking to meet new friends and instructors...

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:54 PM

Welcome to the club, Daniel!
There's lots of folks up in the Chicago area, so I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
The wind has been dead lately, so flying has been tough. As soon as this heat wave is over and the wind picks up, we'll probably have a club fly, so keep an eye on the forum.
I'm down in Charleston, so that's a bit of a drive, but you're always welcome to come down for lessons--no beer or money required.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Jul 17 2011, 01:38 PM

Welcome to the club! Hope to see you at a club fly soon.

Makatakam (Mark) has been flying quad line (Revolutions and his own creations) and some dual line at Busse Woods in Schaumburg quite a bit recently. You might be able to hook up with him for some flying time if you can get out there during the week because . . . . he just quit his job :shock: !!!! In addition, I try to fly at least once or twice a week out in the western suburbs, although it tends to be unannounced and after work, so it might be kind of tough to get connected in the near term. My suggestion - post your plans in the weekly thread if you are planning to go out and fly, and maybe someone will be able to show up & fly with you.

Mike - really? . . . if I just show up in Charleston . . . no beer required? . . . tempting offer :twisted: . . .

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Sun, Jul 17 2011, 02:29 PM

:welcome:
You came to the right place. I can pretty much Promise you will have no problem finding a bunch of people to help you learn all the necessary stuff to get you up and flying in no time. And I am also sure it won't cost you a dime. I am down in Kankakee, bout an hour south of the city. If you are ever down this way post it up on here, always up for flying/ teaching. Best advice I can give you is to make a club fly or a quick fly. Also any festivals you can make it to would be a good thing also. The quad city fest is the next on the list. It is a little bit of a cruise, but not too bad. 2 1/2 hours or so from the city. Quite a few of our members live in various suburbs and fly regularly, and they usually make it public on here. One way or the other , look forward to meeting you soon.,
Mikey

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 17 2011, 08:50 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Mike - really? . . . if I just show up in Charleston . . . no beer required? . . . tempting offer :twisted: . . .

Absolutely! Free private lessons! You might want call first to make sure I'm in town though :)

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 09:04 AM

Mike wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:Mike - really? . . . if I just show up in Charleston . . . no beer required? . . . tempting offer :twisted: . . .

Absolutely! Free private lessons! You might want call first to make sure I'm in town though :)

No beer? Bummer! No money? That's fine with me. Free lessons? Sounds even better! Might not be in town? Doesn't matter; I'll find you!!
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 09:15 AM

:welcome:

Good to have you on board, Daniel. I'm Mark. I fly in the Schaumburg area. Anytime you want to fly call me at 847-340-0366 or post it in the "What and where are you flying this week" thread. Looking forward to flying with you.

As far as making an ass of yourself goes, 99.9% of the people watching you probably wish they could be half as good. Practice, practice, practice.

Where in Chicago are you? I have flown the hill at Montrose Harbor and on a South or East wind it is veeeerrryyyy sweet.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Captain

Postby Captain » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:42 AM

makatakam wrote:welcome:

Good to have you on board, Daniel. I'm Mark. I fly in the Schaumburg area. Anytime you want to fly call me at 847-340-0366 or post it in the "What and where are you flying this week" thread. Looking forward to flying with you.

Awesome - I will take you up on that! I will text you my number. Thanks for the help - Mark

makatakam wrote:Where in Chicago are you? I have flown the hill at Montrose Harbor and on a South or East wind it is veeeerrryyyy sweet.

I am in WickerPark/BuckTown. I have been going to Montrose just keep finding too many people around. The best spot I have found so far has been on Loyola Park. Big spacious beach and not a lot of people around. Best part is easy parking.

We are going to fly together soon.

Captain

Postby Captain » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:43 AM

Mike wrote:Welcome to the club, Daniel!
There's lots of folks up in the Chicago area, so I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
The wind has been dead lately, so flying has been tough. As soon as this heat wave is over and the wind picks up, we'll probably have a club fly, so keep an eye on the forum.
I'm down in Charleston, so that's a bit of a drive, but you're always welcome to come down for lessons--no beer or money required.

I actually looked it up in Google....that's pretty far but I will keep you in mind if I drive down there. If you come around Chicago, let us know - would love to fly together.

Captain

Postby Captain » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:45 AM

goestoeleven wrote:Welcome to the club! Hope to see you at a club fly soon.

My suggestion - post your plans in the weekly thread if you are planning to go out and fly, and maybe someone will be able to show up & fly with you.

For sure, will be posting my plans.

Captain

Postby Captain » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:48 AM

Darkspark wrote::welcome:
You came to the right place. I can pretty much Promise you will have no problem finding a bunch of people to help you learn all the necessary stuff to get you up and flying in no time. And I am also sure it won't cost you a dime. I am down in Kankakee, bout an hour south of the city. If you are ever down this way post it up on here, always up for flying/ teaching. Best advice I can give you is to make a club fly or a quick fly. Also any festivals you can make it to would be a good thing also. The quad city fest is the next on the list. It is a little bit of a cruise, but not too bad. 2 1/2 hours or so from the city. Quite a few of our members live in various suburbs and fly regularly, and they usually make it public on here. One way or the other , look forward to meeting you soon.,
Mikey

Quad city fest - is that the one in September ? Hopefully I will be good at flying by then and thanks for the invite to Kankakee...that is possible for sure.

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 03:09 PM

Welcome to the club Daniel.

I'm new and have been making a fool of myself for the last week . I flew a couple of times two summers ago and started again last week with some IKE members at Greene Valley and with Mark at Busse Woods. Mark has some very cool kites he made himself. All of the IKE members are very generous(and patient...!) in sharing their knowlede and offering tips.

We are in La Grange, but I lived in Rogers Park for many years and we are always looking for an excuse to go to the city.

Look for an elderly black gentleman named Chris who flys at the beach around Lunt Ave. He has been flying quads there for years and is a very nice and friendly guy.

T.J.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 05:23 PM

Welcome, Daniel! I'm in Lincoln Park/Lakeview so we can definitely meet up for some rev flying. ... just as soon as I finish my thesis (I'm so close!). Maybe the last weekend in July?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:12 PM

FlyAway wrote:Welcome to the club Daniel.

I'm new and have been making a fool of myself for the last week . I flew a couple of times two summers ago and started again last week with some IKE members at Greene Valley and with Mark at Busse Woods. Mark has some very cool kites he made himself. All of the IKE members are very generous(and patient...!) in sharing their knowlede and offering tips.

We are in La Grange, but I lived in Rogers Park for many years and we are always looking for an excuse to go to the city.

Look for an elderly black gentleman named Chris who flys at the beach around Lunt Ave. He has been flying quads there for years and is a very nice and friendly guy.

T.J.

I think this is Chris from last year's Dekalb fest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioSLfujHseo

You can also see Mark just briefly after that.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:23 PM

Mark (makatakam on the forum) is the guy flying the red & black quad kite while smoking a cigarette . . . there's about 2 seconds of him after the interview with Chris. There are also a few shots of the 180Go! team in that video . . .

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Jul 19 2011, 01:26 AM

Mike (K)... YOU're definitely the Happy Kite-Dancer-er! :-) ...What rhythm, what poise! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 19 2011, 07:32 AM

Jynx wrote:Mike (K)... YOU're definitely the Happy Kite-Dancer-er! :-) ...What rhythm, what poise! :up:

Lol! You obviously haven't seen the video of me attempting to line dance at the Jamestown Festival!

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Jul 19 2011, 09:25 AM

We will not speak of that video. :-D I too was making a fool of myself.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 19 2011, 10:25 AM

Mike wrote:
Jynx wrote:Mike (K)... YOU're definitely the Happy Kite-Dancer-er! :-) ...What rhythm, what poise! :up:

Lol! You obviously haven't seen the video of me attempting to line dance at the Jamestown Festival!

Link please!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 19 2011, 10:44 AM

ha! It's not on the internets. You'll have to request a private viewing at a weekend kite fest sometime; something to do in the evening in the hotel lobby. But be warned, viewing the video may be dangerous to your health. Those near and dear to me who have seen it have almost died laughing.

Return to “Introductions”