Passing Through In May From The UK

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Ant

Passing Through In May From The UK

Postby Ant » Tue, Apr 12 2011, 04:51 AM

Hi all,

Myself and my g/f are visiting IL, KY & IN in May for a holiday and hope to bring our Revs with us for some international air time :)

We were interested in any places to fly - currently we're in Chicago for a few days from the 9th, then in Louisville for the w/e of the 14th, and now looks like we'll be heading up to Sleeping Bear dunes and back to the Great Lakes festival on the 20th.

Cheers
Ant

Mike

Re: Passing Through In May From The UK

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 12 2011, 02:09 PM

Ahh, I'm sorry to say I can't make it up to Chicago on short notice.
A great place to fly is Northerly Island. It has free parking and a vIew of the skyline.

http://goo.gl/maps/DpTs

It's easy to get there. Go to the Alder Planetarium. Turn right towards the parking, but keep going along the road--don't turn into the first parking lot. The signs say no more parking, but they're lying, there is. Keep following along the road. Go a short distance to the old Airport terminal and park just beyond it in the parking lot there. If you walk into the terminal there's a sign on the desk explaining that you can park where you just parked for free.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 12 2011, 02:13 PM

Oops, I read too quickly-- you're not in Chicago now, but you'll be there next month!

Ant

Postby Ant » Wed, Apr 13 2011, 02:57 AM

Thanks Mike - I'll look into that when we're there. I'm not sure how much time we'll get to fly in Chicago itself since we'll be trekking round some of the sights (I've not been there since 1992) - we're probably going to be staying out near Midway and catching the El in.

Just realised you're iQuad Mike :) - you actually tutored us a bit at the Portsmouth UK 2008 festival! We're still learning & improving :)

Ant

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Apr 13 2011, 10:56 AM

Ant ~ FYI:

If you're in our area late May...

There's also the Family Kite Fest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin May 28th-29th! ...Just a (big) hop-skip-and-jump from Chicago!

http://www.giftofwings.com/cgi-bin/Soft ... 1302712961
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Ant

Postby Ant » Wed, Apr 13 2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks - unfortunately we fly home on the 26th :(

Ant

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Wed, Apr 13 2011, 03:47 PM

My son and I (RevkidChris) are in a southwest suburb of Chicago and frequent Northerly Island as well as some local fields.

What specific days would you like to fly and will you be staying downtown or suburbs? If downtown, do you know hotel or area?

Cheers,
John
:LogoRevAni:

Ant

Postby Ant » Mon, Apr 18 2011, 03:51 PM

We're now booked in around River North from the 9th - 12th :lol: Hope to get down to Northerly maybe one early eve after exploring (if we're not too exhausted!) - I was just panning around in Google Earth - it looks like down near the Petrillo Music Shell in Millennium Park would offer a fantastic backdrop with an onshore wind - is it possible to fly down there at all? Or would that be frowned upon?

Cheers
Ant

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Mon, Apr 18 2011, 05:32 PM

Millennium park is a nice place, and if their isn't a concert of fest going on nobody would bother you flying there. The problem with most of the lakeshore in Chicago is the prevailing wind usually comes off the city to the lake. Usually from the southwest. Contrary to popular belief The "windy city" has nothing to do with the weather. Thats what make Northerly Island so nice, it is far enough offshore so the wind usually smooths out by the time it gets there. On the other hand, if you are into street flying keep your kites with you because there are lots of cool places in and around the city for that sort of thing. Be sure to post when you plan on flying, If you give enough notice you might get some company.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 19 2011, 05:04 PM

As Mikey said, wind would be tricky there. Think of it as street flying. Bing has a nice map of the area:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qzdf86 ... ORM=LMLTCC

Be sure to zoom in and out, and click on the arrows to rotate around the map.

Ant

Postby Ant » Wed, Apr 20 2011, 02:23 AM

Cheers guys - all taken on board :)

Is the free parking place you mentioned the lot at the end of S Lynn White Dr on the west edge of the park?

Ant

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 20 2011, 08:09 AM

yup, that's the place:

Ant

Postby Ant » Wed, Apr 27 2011, 12:53 PM

Getting excited now - got a small non-kite related Q about tipping - cos we Brits never tip :) The hotel in Chicago has "free" parking but as far as I can tell it's not self-park. it's not quoted as valet parking but sounds like they still have to park for you. Would you be expected to tip the parker? And what is reasonable?

Cheers
Ant

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Apr 27 2011, 03:29 PM

Rental car=$3-$5
Ferrari=$15
If you have a rental with insurance=$0

A few bucks is actually OK. They will at remember high tippers and get your car out quicker. If you were paying for parking it would be $20 a day at least, so either way you are ahead.

Ant

Postby Ant » Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:42 AM

Cool! Didn't want to insult or overpay :)

Ant

Ant

Postby Ant » Tue, May 10 2011, 07:44 AM

Hey! We're in Chicago! :-D Thinking about poping down to Northerly Park late afternoon early eveing today if 1) the weather stays ok (was a bit windy) and 2) we haven't collapsed with exhaution / jet lag by then (was awake at 4AM today!)

I'll check back in the forum later - if anyone eles is around it would be fun to meet up

Ant (& kathy)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, May 10 2011, 10:18 AM

Ant wrote:Hey! We're in Chicago! :-D Thinking about poping down to Northerly Park late afternoon early eveing today if 1) the weather stays ok (was a bit windy) and 2) we haven't collapsed with exhaution / jet lag by then (was awake at 4AM today!)

I'll check back in the forum later - if anyone eles is around it would be fun to meet up

Ant (& kathy)

I wish I could get down there. Drive on out to Schaumburg where I work and we've got something! :P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 10 2011, 05:47 PM

Ant wrote:Hey! We're in Chicago! :-D Thinking about poping down to Northerly Park late afternoon early eveing today if 1) the weather stays ok (was a bit windy) and 2) we haven't collapsed with exhaution / jet lag by then (was awake at 4AM today!)

Ant (& kathy)

Hope you have (had) a good fly and a great trip . . . . I'm in London! Flew in big wind on Blackheath on Sunday (with some Decorators!!) and a little while last evening at Victoria Park in very light (for me) winds.

I just remembered - when you go to Sleeping Bear dunes, there's the dune climb, of course. In addition, a few miles (to the south, i think) there's also a small road to the top of the dunes. I can't remember if there's enough room to fly up there as there's a boardwalk to a viewing platform. It's a good place to watch the sun go down over Lake Michigan. I've been there a few times, and there's always been lots of wind as it's a couple hundred feet above the lake. So, if there's no wind down low, it might be a good place to go for wind.

Edit: Here's the link to the dune overlook

And here's the other link for the dune climb.
Last edited by goestoeleven on Tue, May 10 2011, 05:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Ant

Postby Ant » Tue, May 10 2011, 06:42 PM

Just got back to the hotel after the days sightseeing and absolutely shattered. Wind doesn't seem that great today so will probably put off til tomorrow now

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, May 10 2011, 07:44 PM

Hey Ant,

Here is a picture flying a Rev off the inland side of Sleeping Bear Dunes ... that's my McKite on the beach again!!!!

And, here's a picture of the Lake Michigan side of Sleeping Bear Dunes ... you've got to be a little crazy to climb up and down this side!

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Introductions”