Hi For Cuba

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
mshank

Hi For Cuba

Postby mshank » Tue, Mar 29 2011, 09:49 PM

I have ordered my kite and it is due to come in this week sometime. I need help learning how to set it up and in leaning to fly it. Is there anyone in Central Illinois willing to help. Thanks.

goestoeleven

Re: Hi For Cuba

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Mar 29 2011, 10:54 PM

Welcome to the club! I'm fairly new myself, and I have to say I've learned a lot by meeting and flying with other club members at a couple "club fly" events. Being new to IKE myself, I don't know which members live closest to you but I know there are some members in central Illinois (depending on how you widely you define "central"). There are members all over the US & elsewhere in the world.

There will probably be some club fly events this year that might be closer to you (south of Chicago) - like Pontiac, IL, or Kankakee. Anyone is welcome to join a club fly - and likely to loan you a kite to use and show you how to fly it. At my first club fly, one of the members let my young son fly one of his nice Revolution quad line kites almost as soon as we arrived, and for the rest of the day.

In addition, you might want to check out the Festivals page link for a listing of kite festivals in the region. I first found out about IKE at Dekalb last fall, so there's a fairly good chance you'd see some of the IKE members at various festivals through the year. There are several members planning on going to the Monee festival in a few weeks. If there are festivals down near you, post on the 2011 festivals thread and they'll get added to the main festivals page.

One more note - IKE is free, and anyone can post a quick fly to see who else is interested.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 02:59 AM

WELCOME to (what we like to call) the Dark-Side! = The Rev obsession! :revspin:

If you're ever in the Milwaukee area I'd be more than happy to shown you our WINDerFULL flying field in Veterans Park at our lakefront!

:welcome1:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 06:00 AM

Welcome to the club! :welcome1:

Veterans Park in Milwaukee is a wonderful place to fly and we fly at one of our two favorite spots (close to us) in Pontiac IL or in Kankakee, IL.

Hope to see you out and about soon!

Mikes S.

mshank

Postby mshank » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the "warm welcome". I have been to the Kite Festival on South Padre Island, Texas for several years and loved to watch all the kites. I really liked the Revs. This year I ordered a kite to get started with after doing much reading. One site suggested that I meet someone who would be able to check and see that I have things set up correctly. It sounded like good advice. I have looked at some of the meetings in the South Chicago area as well as in Kankakee. The quad cities are also within a driving distance for me. I plan to attend some of those and look forward to meeting others kite enthusiasts. Again thanks.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 08:54 AM

Let me add another welcome!
We have a good rev flier who lives in Washingotn,Il. That may be the closest to Cuba.
Perhaps you two can get together. He'll probably check in the forum within the next couple days.

RadarRider

Postby RadarRider » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 09:14 AM

Welcome mshank!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:00 PM

mshank wrote:Thanks for the "warm welcome". I have been to the Kite Festival on South Padre Island, Texas for several years and loved to watch all the kites. I really liked the Revs. This year I ordered a kite to get started with after doing much reading. One site suggested that I meet someone who would be able to check and see that I have things set up correctly. It sounded like good advice. I have looked at some of the meetings in the South Chicago area as well as in Kankakee. The quad cities are also within a driving distance for me. I plan to attend some of those and look forward to meeting others kite enthusiasts. Again thanks.

If you were at the South Padre Island Fest in February, we may have brushed shoulders as I attended and was flying at the fest too!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:22 PM

Mike wrote:... rev flier who lives in Washingotn,Il. That may be the closest to Cuba.

Good morning Cuba!!!! Welcome to the forum and to Rev kiting. You may not recognize the city that Mike posted ... he lives in Amish territory, so it looks like he's starting to pick up a little German (Washin got n). It's really Washington, IL!!! Yep, of the known Rev fliers, I live the closest to you.

I'd love to help you out. I'm currently out of town, so can't help until later in April. I'm retired, so once home we can meet most anytime the wind is blowing. You need (yes need) to put the Decatur festival on your calendar ... it's the 23rd of April. Many of the IKE members will be there and it's a great opportunity to meet some of the more nefarious of the club members.

If you'll send me a PM, I can put you in touch with my son who also lives in the Peoria area. The two of you should be able to meet up so that he can help get you sorted out before the festival.

Big Mike hooked me on Rev flying with a well set up full vent on a windy day in May. Ordered my own kite, a full sail, and expected to be able to fly it just like I did Mike's ... didn't work out quite as expected. The set up and tuning is not that hard, but is very necessary if you're going to have a good experience. I can promise that all of the club members are more than happy to see you have a good time flying.

Cheers,
Tom

Return to “Introductions”