Lake In The Hills, IL - Can't Wait To Get Out!

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
scottgallagher

Lake In The Hills, IL - Can't Wait To Get Out!

Postby scottgallagher » Tue, Dec 28 2010, 01:22 AM

Hello future fellow (kiters?)

I'm stoked right now. A couple of nights ago I found an article on CNN about some extreme winter sports and found this one...when I first saw kite boarding on water I knew it was something for me....except I'm in IL and never really thought I would have enough water that wasn't crazy busy to ever take this up as a real sport....why I didn't put two and two together and realize I could do this on my snowboard.

Well, I've sporadically boarded over the last 20 years....started as a skateboarder when I was 14 on a closed down ski hill. Once I hit 18, drugs, sex and parties curbed my extra curricular activities, or at least my disposable income to do much more!

This lasted until I got married at 29, had kids and the disposable income went to the kids until the last 3 years where I've been able to take the whole family boarding. So, while visiting my family in Canada, I heard many people are doing this sport on the lakes....then it hit me.

So I'm off to take my 5 yr old son and 13 yr old step-daughter to a boarding resort in Canada in two days and I can't wait to get home to buy a kite and get out on the lake in my back yard in IL....and then I found you guys!

So, that's it. I'm stoked to be here and learn, then get home and make my first purchase!

On that note, I've very greenhorn at my first purchase. I don't want to drop a gino on a kite for something I'm new at. So, looking forward to meeting a few of you, getting my kite and getting out on the lake!

Jeff

Re: Lake In The Hills, IL - Can't Wait To Get Out!

Postby Jeff » Tue, Dec 28 2010, 08:26 AM

Welcome, Scott. Lake in the Hills is just around the corner from me.

I don't know that we've had a club fly in a place where there was anywhere for kite boarding...maybe the Labor Day weekend fest in Two Rivers, WI, or the annual May festival at Grand Haven, MI. (brrr..Lake Michigan in May)

But there will certainly be some dry land events where you can practice putting a sail in the air.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Wed, Dec 29 2010, 04:52 PM

Welcome to the Darkside Scott.

Before you know it you will be flying a Rev of some type. A club fly is the best way to try OPK (Other People's Kites) and see what you like.

You also want to talk to Wendy;she is catspaw00 on the forum. She is into power kites and kite surfing. You can do both water and snow to get year round flying.

If you want to talk kite purchases, contact Big Mike at his kite store, thekitesite.net. He doesn't have a big website, but he is a great guy that goes the extra mile to take care of people. He is a member of 180GO! and will help you with any Rev products. He also makes awesome linesets. Guaranteed all lines will be the same length.

Also check out the Cool Fool Kite Fest New Year's Day fly in Milwaukee at Veteran's Park. Jynx will be there. Scott Fisher, the owner of Gift of Wings, takes good care of al the IL flyers.

Jynx wrote:The COOL FOOL KITE FESTIVAL..New Years Day, 2011….. 11 am until 5 pm. in Veterans Park on Milwaukee's Lakefront. This is a FREE event, with plenty of FREE parking. We will have Free Hot Chocolate, Coffee, and Snacks, compliments of Caribou Coffee, while they last. This is a "Fun Fly" so bring your kite or pick up a kite at Gift of Wings at the park. See Sarah and Noreen Lephardt, our quiet ice artists, carve blocks of ice into masterpieces before your very eyes. Ice carving lessons will also be available. Brett Williams, the Kite Whispererer, will be on hand to show everyone how to fly a kite. The Giant kites of Yves Laforest will also be flying high over Milwaukee’s Lakefront. Yves Laforest, in conjunction with Gift of Wings, now have the largest collection of giant kites in the Midwest. Horse drawn carriage rides will also be available for a small fee from Milwaukee Coach and Carriage. Hot food is also available for purchase. For more info contact Jeff Kataoka at 414/277-9121, or Scott Fisher at 414/305-3145. This festival is brought to you by Gift of Wings, B93.3 Radio, 102/1 WLUM AND WMCS Radio, Caribou Coffee, and the Kite Society of Wisconsin and Illinois. DRESS REALLY WARM! The Kite Society of Wisconsin and Illinois. It doesn’t get any better than this!

Hopefully see you on the flying field soon.
John
:LogoRevAni:

scottgallagher

Postby scottgallagher » Wed, Dec 29 2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice and will surely follow these people and will get out to a club fly. It sounds like this is the best way to learn about the right equipment. Really stoked!!!!

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Wed, Dec 29 2010, 09:47 PM

Hi Scott,

Welcome!! I'm a little swamped at the moment, but if you want to talk boarding, it's one of my obsessions. *grin* After tomorrow I should have some time, and I'll be up at Cool Fool in Milwaukee on Saturday, so either way we can touch base on boarding and I can point you to the appropriate places.

-Wendy

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Wed, Dec 29 2010, 11:50 PM

catspaw00 wrote:Hi Scott,

Welcome!! I'm a little swamped at the moment, but if you want to talk boarding, it's one of my obsessions. *grin* After tomorrow I should have some time, and I'll be up at Cool Fool in Milwaukee on Saturday, so either way we can touch base on boarding and I can point you to the appropriate places.

-Wendy

COOL! ...........Another COOL :mrblue: FOOL! :clubfly:

:v: I'll have (real) hot chocolate topped with mini marshmallows for ya all!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Return to “Introductions”