Windless Warren Michigan...

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Ludovicus

Windless Warren Michigan...

Postby Ludovicus » Thu, May 27 2010, 09:36 PM

Hello!

I'm Robb Ludwig from Warren, Michigan. My family and I were at the Grand Haven Kite Festival this past weekend, and couldn't have had a better time. I met Mike/Backdraft there, and he told me about this site. I can't say enough nice things about how helpful he was.

I am, and at the same time am not, new to flying kites. I've had a little Go Fly a Kite kite for probably ten years, but recently started looking around at what else was going on in the world of kites. So (don't tell my wife) I've bought a few more over the last few months. My favorite is the Revolution and I'm starting to get the hang of it. My only real problem right now is finding wind. It taunts and teases me, but so far it's been pretty sketchy. Of course my poor flying skills aren't helping, but time will fix that.

Aside from kites, I like cooking and bread baking, goldfish-the fancy, expensive kind (don't tell my wife, did I mention that?), a little bit of woodworking, and a few other hobbies as the wallet will allow. Then there's the Japanese room I'm building--four more shoji to go. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35663841@N05/

My day job is being a stay-at-home dad. My son is 6 and my daughter 3 and we've been married for 9 years.

I think that covers the basics. If anyone has any secret voodoo for getting the wind to blow a reasonable amount, do please let me know.

Jynx

Re: Windless Warren Michigan...

Postby Jynx » Thu, May 27 2010, 09:47 PM

Ludovicus ~

:welcome1: to our little Slice of Heaven... also known as the "dark-side"! :revspin:

Hope to see you at a fly some day!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Thu, May 27 2010, 10:28 PM

Welcome to the club! :-D

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, May 28 2010, 09:20 AM

Robb,

Welcome to the club, it was very nice to meet you and your family at Grand Haven I would love to send some our wind your way but it’s get into the no winds of summer here and we have to use it sparingly. LOL

Big Mike

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, May 28 2010, 09:53 AM

Robb,

Welcome to IKE!

I would have advised you to stay away from Mike, but guess it's too late now. He was the one who handed me the handles of his Rev about two years ago ... hooked me inside of ten minutes. Damn!!

If you don't already know, there's a very active group of kite fliers in the Plymouth, MI, area. Call Kites and Fun Things at 734-454-3760 and talk to Marieanne or Jon to get hooked up with them.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, May 28 2010, 12:17 PM

Welcome!!! Glad we finally got you squared away and logged on!
I like that Japanese room you're building, does it have a specific purpose?

I too, have been a stay at home Dad. My kids are grown now though--I started Dad-ing 24 years ago.

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Fri, May 28 2010, 12:47 PM

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of kiting. Wind is always an issue - well, it is the only issue really, after all, these are kites. :)

First, what type of Revolution did you purchase? We may be able to give you some tips on light wind if we are more familiar with the actual model of kite. If it is the Rev 1.5 SLE with the Super Leading Edge, then you could change that out with the skinnier 1/4" leading edge and that will lighten up the kite quite a bit, making it easier to fly in the light stuff. You could also purchase the 2 wrap rods or the (more expensive) 1.5 Zen rods which will lighten up the kite even more.

Light wind flying is an art form that needs to be developed. You can't really learn it from any DVD's or books or even on line. You pretty much have to develop it yourself and the only way to do that is to get out there and do it.

A couple of quotes that I have used over the years:
"Strong wind flying builds muscle, light wind flying builds skill."

and

"Trying to tell someone how to fly in light wind is like trying to tell someone what a strawberry tastes like. Usually the only way to figure it out is to just take a bite of it yourself."

The good thing about it is that you will have fun while you learn. Keep at it, post your questions up here and enjoy this awesome sport.

Hope that helps.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, May 28 2010, 05:13 PM

I'm suddenly hungry for strawberries...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Ludovicus

Postby Ludovicus » Sat, May 29 2010, 12:28 AM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and help.

My Rev is a 1.5 SLE. My apologies in advance if I get some of the terminology wrong--I'm new to the habit, er, hobby. It came with two leading edges. The smaller, 1/4" one, is the one I was told to use. The larger, probably 5/8" or so, I was told wasn't much good.

Kites and Fun Things is where I bought the kite, and they told me about their Wednesday flying. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get over there yet, but that's still on the extended agenda. Nice folks, by the way.

As for my Japanese room, it doesn't have an explicit purpose other than it's daddy's "office". I have a real interest in the culture and had the space in the basement. So that's where I go when the wife and kids go to bed and plot my next plan to take over the world with kites.

catspaw00

Postby catspaw00 » Mon, Jun 07 2010, 06:47 PM

Ludovicus wrote:So that's where I go when the wife and kids go to bed and plot my next plan to take over the world with kites.

Welcome Robb! I find that I can't concentrate on taking over the world anymore; where and when to fly, and tweaking my budget for new kites and accessories, takes up too much time now. *grin*

-Wendy

Ludovicus

Postby Ludovicus » Sat, Jun 12 2010, 11:27 AM

Great Flying For a Change!!!

Thanks again to everyone above. I have good news to report.

I took the advice of going to the weekly kite event that I learned about from the folks at Kites and Fun Things. (That's where I bought my Rev.)

I went there and had a good time with some fairly decent wind, and met several nice folks. While there someone suggested a place to fly in Warren. I went there last night and had the best wind I've run across yet. I got a good hour+ of uninterrupted flying which probably triples my accumulated flying time since buying the kite a month or so ago.

So thank you all again for your help and warm welcome. What is it about kite flying? Everyone is so nice. I've got to admit that kite flying does seem to promote happiness (once I get the lines untangled and the kite up in the air).

Return to “Introductions”