Saw You Guys At The Naperville Kite Festival

Tell us a little about yourself and let us welcome you to the forum.
Nomad

Saw You Guys At The Naperville Kite Festival

Postby Nomad » Fri, Jun 19 2009, 12:35 AM

I was the guy in the blue and black hat that was given a little instruction on one of the quad line kites. I really appreciated that, I'd been wondering what it was like to fly those things for years.

I don't know if I really made this clear, but it had been over a decade since I flew any kite. I came back on Sunday and flew my 2 line power kite (still getting used to that term, I always called it a parafoil kite, I know they tend to pull harder but I never intended to to actually use it to pull me, I just think parafoils are neat). It was actually the first time I'd ever gotten that thing in the air, I got it a long time ago but never ended up flying it. So that was neat, what I really loved was that it turns out it's like riding a bike. That is, you don't forget how to do it. When I was thinking about it the day before I couldn't remember which side you pulled to make it turn in the desired direction. But when I finally got it airborne the instincts took over.

Unfortunately they also tried to take over for the quad kite, and if I tried to ignore them I didn't have enough time to think through each control input, so it was pretty chaotic. Don't worry, I'm not really too frustrated, actually I'm determined to learn to fly those things. From the moment I first saw the flying team doing formation flying I realized I had to learn. I'm sure it takes plenty of patience and practice to get to that level, and that is always my weakness, but I have to see what I can do now. Once I get enough money together to get one of those kites, that is. It was a bit of a shock finding out how much they cost.

I only flew my kite for a little bit. The wind, as I'm sure those of you that were there remember, was not too consistent or strong. But it was pretty exciting, not only to finally fly that kite, but to fly ANY kite again after so long. I mean, it had been so long that after I unrolled the kite I had to stare at it for a few minutes before I remembered how to connect it to the line. It was surprisingly easy. I tried to fly it once before but ended up getting the lines tangled when I unrolled them. Eventually I gave up in disgust and just packed it up again. But this time, for whatever reason, it all worked out fairly well. I had no idea how you go about launching a kite like that, but after a few tries I worked out a routine.

It really was magic, feeling the old instincts kick in again. And I'm looking for another opportunity to go out and fly it again. I'd like to check out another group event as well. Please understand this isn't meant to sound as a challenge, but I'd like to see what the rest of you can do. Aside from occasionally seeing a lone kite flier in the park the festival was the first time I'd ever really seen any serious kite fliers. Most of my kite flying was done more or less alone. I don't really think I'm into extreme 2 line kite flying, most of those maneuvers don't appeal to me, at least from what I've seen on youtube. But still I want to see what there is to the sport that I hadn't seen before.

I think the Champaign event is a bit too far away for me, I'll probably have to skip that. But Oswego Prairie Fest might be doable, I'll go to the proper thread for more about that.

Jynx

Re: Saw You Guys At The Naperville Kite Festival

Postby Jynx » Fri, Jun 19 2009, 12:46 AM

:welcome1: Your post is a reflection of my experience a year ago!

Thanks to (now) fellow Rev fliers (including IKErs, 180GOers, iQuaders, etc.) I am now broke, but extremely happy!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 19 2009, 06:32 AM

Welcome to the club!
You'll get opportunities to fly with us again and we'll get you flying the quads soon enough. I always carry a spare you can fly.

RevJB

Postby RevJB » Fri, Jun 19 2009, 12:42 PM

:welcome1: to IKE

Going to festivals is a great way to meet and watch other flyers. Like you, I used to fly solo all the time. I hooked up with IKe about 3 months ago. They are a great group of flyers and very patient with new flyers. Be aware, many of them carry a highly contagious and chronic version of RevusKitus flu (sul1.5).

Once you try the Rev a few more times you will be hooked. I barely think about my two line kites anymore.

Check the map tab for a flying field in Lisle and there are several Rev flyers in Aurora/Montgomery that you can likely find a common flying field.

Hope to see you flying soon.

John

Nomad

Postby Nomad » Fri, Jun 19 2009, 10:17 PM

Yep, I saw the Lisle site. I was doing a little checking up in Google Earth to try to find out where that Perry Farms place is and ended up clicking on a link that loaded up the entire location list into the program. So that's handy.

I'll have to check it out some time soon.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jun 20 2009, 07:23 AM

The best place in Lisle that I've found is the park over off of Short St. near the Police department. If you take 53 to Short, go West and over the small bridge and into the parking lot on the left by the baseball diamond. Lots of room there when they don't have kids sports going on.

Best if the wind is NOT coming from the East.

It's the same place they used to hold LisleFest..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Amy Flanery

Postby Amy Flanery » Wed, Apr 17 2013, 03:20 PM

Looking for someone in the La Salle, IL area to talk to about kite-flying for a newspaper feature... Anyone?

Amy Flanery
NewsTribune Media Editor
ntonline@newstrib.com
(815) 220-6975

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Apr 17 2013, 05:53 PM

There are a few club members on the west side of chicago that may be close enough. If you can do the interview over the phone or Skype I could help, and I am sure some other members would be willing.

Amy Flanery

Postby Amy Flanery » Wed, Apr 17 2013, 06:10 PM

I can interview over the phone. Our coverage area goes from Ottawa to Princeton and from Mendota to Streator, including smaller outlying towns as well. I could talk to a couple people from out of the area, too, though.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Apr 17 2013, 07:06 PM

I'm probably the most far west (Sugar Grove) , but I'm a newbie and not one of the quad line or experienced kites you want to talk to.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Thu, Apr 18 2013, 12:00 AM

yea, TMadz barely knows what a kite is.... NOT! :) Everyone needs to get to festivals before him so they can get a place in the sky.
good to see you active again Todd!

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Apr 18 2013, 05:36 PM

I am assuming you have been in touch with Mike. If you wnat a couple points of view I like talking about kites. I am a Mike also, ..Mikey to most. I will email you my email and number.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, Apr 18 2013, 10:10 PM

Mike wrote:I always carry a spare you can fly.

He's not kidding! That's how I learned to fly a Rev. Welcome to the club!
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, Apr 19 2013, 12:48 PM

We are relatively close to Streator. We are located about 20 miles southeast of Dwight, IL

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 19 2013, 08:10 PM

I gave her my phone number and I mentioned that we had a member in Cabery, but she didn't call. Perhaps the floods made for a better story this week.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sat, Apr 20 2013, 11:14 AM

I sent her a PM offering to connect her with Kathy Brinnehl and/or Ed Grys, but no reply. I figured I'd either missed her deadline or she didn't need to talk to them.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Apr 20 2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks, but both Kathy and Ed are way outside of her newspaper's readership though. As a local paper she needs a local kite flier as a hook.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Sat, Apr 20 2013, 11:27 PM

Yeah, I pointed out to her that both of them are out of her area, but there's a chance Ed can connect her with a local AKA member and if she's unable to find anyone local to interview, and at least Kathy and Ed are both good sources.

Return to “Introductions”