Chicago Montrose Harbor Oct 6th

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
TeamTrejo

Re: Chicago Montrose Harbor Oct 6th

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 05:23 AM

Jeff wrote:I do have a microphone for Motorola style radios, but I thought Mike modified his to be keyed all the time.

You need to have a radio with VOX (Voice Operated eXchange).

I saw a VOX head set with boom microphone at Radio Shack for about $20.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 05:49 AM

VOX doesn't work well, there is a delay before it kicks in.
However, if you get a microphone that is designed to be used with VOX, it wont have a push to talk button (PTT) and will be on all the time. That's what you need.

You can also just yell. That's what happens during a mega fly, and what I did all day last weekend.

Here's a microphone that won't work.

And one that will work.

This also works.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 06:16 AM

Mike

Thanks for the info. My current radio does not have VOX but does have PTT. I'll try to find a headset

BTW that last link is just a thunbnail pic.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 08:19 AM

TeamTrejo wrote:BTW that last link is just a thunbnail pic.

it was supposed to be funny :oops: it's a guy yelling.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 08:28 AM

Oh, now I see it.

I guess my sense of humor is still asleep at 5am. :zzz:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 02:11 PM

I guess we will need a team name for Montrose....

I went with the less nerdy choice.

When we get team kites, each flier will get the team name with their kite's color in the logo.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 03 2007, 02:18 PM

Jeez, I can't miss the first official team fly!
I'll leave my house at 5:30am and expect to be at Montrose before 8:30 am.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Oct 04 2007, 01:11 AM

My set does have VOX on it. Will check the local Radio Shack tomorrow night.

Doh, I did not realize there was another page before posting. Will still look for the headset any way.

I like the look of the solid bold letters, no need for outlines. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, Oct 04 2007, 10:14 AM

:-) Weather looking good :up:

hope to see a lot of you out there :up:

thanks

Dave
www.chicagokite.com

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Oct 04 2007, 10:08 PM

chicagokite wrote::-) Weather looking good :up:

hope to see a lot of you out there :up:

thanks

Dave
www.chicagokite.com

i'm coming... and i think that my wife Marla will also come. She, however, has a problem with heat (heat tolerance). Can someone give me an idea about how much cooler it will probably be on the lake (rather than what the rest of the area will be)?
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 06:03 AM

Don't expect too much "lake effect" on Saturday due to winds from the South and relatively warm water temps. That being said if you are right along the lake shore you might get up to 5 degrees of cooling.

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 11:28 AM

I have a vented you can borrow. Only crashed a few times. I was watching TV last night and the community spot that comes up, they advertised it but said it is for 10/5. A little goof. Hoping their other advertising is with the correct date.

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 11:38 AM

Directions & Parking

Do I take LSD to Montross? Is their a special parking area? Are there decent restrooms? It's been decades since I've been there and I don't remember the layout at all.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Oct 05 2007, 02:28 PM

Plenty of free parking on east side of the field just go past hill on left there will be a driveway.
out Houses for bathrooms

thanks
www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 07 2007, 02:44 PM

I always have a good time at festivals no matter what the wind conditions. So I had a good time yesterday.
The winds were very light and variable for most of the day. They were flyable for a single flier, but too tricky for a good team fly. Flying mostly involved a lot of moving around. I brought almost 3 quarts of water, but even that wasn't enough with the high heat and running around. Next time, I bring a gallon, like Chris does.

I always enjoy talking to the kids about the kites they made and there were a bunch of kids there. So that was fun too. I saw a few kites decorated with the Cubs logo and my condolences to all the Cubs fans out there.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Oct 07 2007, 03:46 PM

Despite my efforts, I still think I didn't drink enough water! I find that lately, meaning the last couple years or so, I am tolerating heat less well. Yesterday, I started getting a headache late in the day that got worse through the night. Felt a little nauseous too. And not just because of the Cubs game.

Flying was a lot of work in the still air, but still fun. I just wish that late afternoon breeze would have appeared earlier in the day.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Oct 07 2007, 04:18 PM

a quick review of Sat from Babbman's point of view...

The day started with a somewhat steady breeze out of the south... it lasted until about 8:30am or so and then became ridiculously variable... switching directions and sometimes dropping off completely. This made it slightly difficult for most everyone and especially made it difficult to do much team flying. We did a little bit and quite honestly, even an hour of practice together is better than none.

Other than that, it seemed quite crowded with lots of kids excited about flying their kites... Chicago Kite seemed to be pretty busy also.

Regardless of wind, it's always great to get together with everyone and we had a pretty good time.

Thanks to David for supplying us with water and pizza and to the city of Chicago for allowing us to fly against the beautiful backdrop of the city of Chicago..

One thing to add on the hydration department...

For all of the festivals this year, I packed plenty of water as well as plenty of gator aid.. I would have to say that yesterday was only second in heat to Perry Farms. At PF, I was so literally heated that I could feel it coming off of my face... There, I parked in front of water jugs and drank until I couldn't drink any more... even then, I only pottied once the whole day.. I didn't get a headache but was getting close to stroking at a couple of points...lol...

Yesterday was similar and I drank quite a lot of water and in the 7 hrs I was there, I drank 8 bottles of gator aid and 4 or 5 bottles of water... I think it was almost enough but I was pretty exhausted by the time I got home and then had to shower and immediately drive down to Plano where I played until 9:30pm... very long day.... but... I didn't feel as though I was suffering from anything heat related.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Oct 07 2007, 05:51 PM

Next year we need to have a pilots meeting. I didn't know David had water available and I could have used it. And many of us didn't find out about the pizza until after we'd already eaten lunch. David's heart was in the right place, he just needed better advertising :-)

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Oct 07 2007, 08:48 PM

The pizza was great; thanks Dave! We brought our own water... which we did not drink enough of. Both Marla and i took the heat in stride; we took a walk around the beach (which was fun)! That dog park is really cool! Those dogs were as happy as we kite fliers were; they loved making a game of diving for tennis balls and retrieving them! You could see their joy being expressed! i felt like jumping in! Oswego was the festival with the worst heat, i thought; that one practically sucked the sap out of me! :doc:

i flew locally today. It was one of those days when the winds were magical and just great! :mrblue: It was just pure fun! i didn't even notice the heat! The intricate clouds, the curious hawks, and the scenery were magnificent!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Oct 07 2007, 08:54 PM

There's a trick to getting those meetings off the ground. They get lost in the opening shuffle, and all the details don't always get covered. (I'm being empathic here.) Perhaps as a solution, we could have a consistent location and time and person, maybe to avoid organizational hazzards?

And about the festival...We had a blast! It was a very much needed chance to reconnect to the things I enjoy about kiting. Seeing a big o' kiter grin spread on the face of a olympic campainers face as he took hold of the Chicago 2016 rok for the first time, was a treasure I'll add to my favorite kiting memories. There's more here about Chicago 2016 and the snazzy new logo. http://www.chicago2016.org/chicago-star.aspx

Thanks Chicago! We're home again, blissfully sunburned and stiff (from climbing that hill, I think) but rejuvinated and no where _near_ ready to pack up the season yet!
TTFN,
Draftnik

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”