Wayne, IL festival

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Wayne, IL festival

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 09:29 AM

On October 6, Wayne, IL is going to have a community festival/picnic. This the same day as Montrose. The one time I went to Montrose they didn't rope off a flying area and flying sport kites was doable but a little tricky with all the kids and their single-lines running around. If you're close to Montrose, by all means go to Montrose, but if you live near Wayne, you may want to check this out as an alternative.

We have a community picnic on October 6 in Wayne, IL. We always provide kites for the kids to fly and it has become quite a tradition. This year we are looking for kite enthusiasts to participate on a "higher level". Anyone is welcome to come fly their kite in our huge field! If anyone out there is interested, I would sure like to know so we can advertise.

We are just looking for some "real" kite flyers and are offering a $250 cash prize to the
person who has the coolest kite--to be judged by our little guys.
We really aren't looking for anything special, just bodies--with kites!
Aurora and Montgomery are pretty close, we are neighbors to St. Charles and Geneve--I know whoever
comes will love this little village. We have a cookout, music, bonfire at dusk and a lot of nice people.

...I just wondered if any one would "commit" to the day so that we would know we would have special kites in the sky on our day.

If you live in the area and have some cool kites, it could be easy money! I would think flying a stack, or putting up some homemade beauties, or maybe a really big kite would impress the folks. If I lived nearby, I would be all over this.

If a couple of you go, maybe you could agree to split any money if one of you wins the prize.

If anyone is interested in going, post here and I'll get some more information on location and such.

I've flown at an occasional small festival like this, and it can be a lot of fun to mingle with the folks and be the "kite celebrity".

Drachenschwanz

Re: Wayne, IL Festival

Postby Drachenschwanz » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 10:20 AM

Hey Mike, I don't see a date for this one listed anywhere. If you could let us know when it is that would be great!

Wayne is just a hop away from us in the DeKalb area and is right next door for Roxy!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Re: Wayne, IL festival

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 10:45 AM

oops! I edited the post. It's October 6th.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 01:38 PM

In regards to montrose

If you want to fly on the beach bye all means go ahead wide open great spot

thanks
www.chicagokite.com

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 02:01 PM

This would work WAY better for me on that day as I have to be back down in Plano in the afternoon... I already e-mailed her for some more information...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 04:03 PM

Sounds like a great time, count me in! :mrgreen:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

akillip

Postby akillip » Sun, Sep 16 2007, 09:13 PM

So does anyone know where the flying field for Wayne,IL is? Is it suitable for the big Jordan or the Octopus. How about a contact person?

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 09:30 PM

Does anyone have the contact info for this festival? I'd like to get hold of him/her and find out some specifics.

Thanks!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

akillip

Postby akillip » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 11:56 AM

took some time but here's what I know... Karen Armbrust is the contact person. Her Work phone is 630-584-3090. Home phone is 630-377-1876. The flying field is at the intersection of Army trail road and Dunham road road just north of the royal oaks golf coarse. The event offically starts at 3pm. they begin setting up around 1pm. We can be there early. The $250 cash money is still being offered. It's been suggested that we split the money if a ike member wins and I would agree to that. Karen would like a head count if possible, so please give her a call. And perhaps post any information that you gain.

Tony

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 12:44 PM

oh well, that kills attending Wayne for me... I have to be in Plano around 4pm...

I think I will be there and at Montrose in spirit only that weekend...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Sep 21 2007, 04:07 PM

Just spoke to Karen on the phone, and she is very excited about this event. Ant one else who wants to go, give her a call, sounds like it's going to be a great time! I will be there for sure! :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Sun, Sep 23 2007, 12:08 AM

Can I win a prize for doing the most crashing with the kite??
Not sure if I can make it, the eye has been bad the last couple weeks. Beautiful windy weather and hiding from the sun, how depressing.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Sep 23 2007, 11:42 AM

MKS (Minnesota) has or at least had a lead kite award. I almost won it when a flow form I was flying turned 90 degrees and swept the field cutting down five other kites.
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Oct 06 2007, 09:56 PM

Had a great time in Wayne today! :up: :up:

Thanks to Dave and Karen Armbrust, and all the other great folks involved in this event. :mrgreen:

Thanks to Ann and Tony for bringing out the big kites, and all the local (and not so local) kids who brought their parents out today. :up:

I hope to see some of the interested people we met today next season!

Looking forward to next year, this was a perfect way to end the "official" flying season...

:thanks:

-unknown

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”