Mots Festival Sept 8-9

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Mots Festival Sept 8-9

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 28 2007, 02:28 PM

Mots Festival Sept 8-9, Milwaukee.

This festival is coming up soon.
iQuad is going to be there and Zach Gordon will be flying as part of team. If you ignore the guy who takes a moment to turn left after everyone else, you will see some amazing team flying. (I gotta work on my left/right counterclockwise/clockwise thing :oops: ).
If you are a quad flier this is your chance to have some fun in a big 'ol mega fly with iQuad.

Jim Cosca will also be there, he's the rep from Premiere and is a great guy and a good dual and quad flier.

Here's the official press release:
-----------------------------
On Saturday, September 8th, and Sunday September 9th, The Kite Society of Wisconsin & Illinois, and Gift of Wings, are presenting the TIME WARNER CABLE FRANK MOTS INTERNATIONAL Kite Festival...29Years, in Veterans Park on Milwaukee's lakefront. The event will begin at 10:00 am, through 5:00 pm, with the GRAND LAUNCH of 500+ kites at NOON! Yes...Now TWO days of high flying fun!!

I am excited to announce that I-QUAD, the NEW 6 person Revolution Kite Team from Seattle & Portland, is making its first appearance at Mots. The All New six member Chicago Fire Kite Team, and Team Pegasus precision kite flying team will also be performing three times each day during this event. They are world renowned professional kite flying teams from Chicago and Puerto Rico. In addition, Yves Laforest and Jean Lemire from Montreal, Canada, will be making their sixth MOTS appearance with their large 75 foot Teddy Bear kite, and this year , TWO Super Giant Octopus kites. Josh Gordon, and his brother Zach Gordon (15), and sister Elizabeth Gordon, will be flying several spectacular stunt kite routines throughout the day. These kids are great!

Milwaukee's own Mike Delfar, Dan Newman, and Paul Koepke, all Professional kite flyers, will also be performing. This family event is FREE to all, with FREE parking.

We will also be giving away free kites to the first 100 kids that participate in the "KIDS MAD DASH". Imagine 100 kids launching their kites all at the same time. LOOK OUT!! Jim Cosca and Brett Williams from Premier Kites will be giving FREE KITE FLYING LESSONS. kites and Food are available for sale during the event.

TeamTrejo

Re: Mots Festival Sept 8-9

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Aug 28 2007, 09:58 PM

I have my 120' line set. Can't wait for some Mega Fly

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Aug 29 2007, 12:05 AM

I have family visiting that Saturday, but I'll definitely be there on Sunday.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Aug 29 2007, 12:30 AM

:revspin: OMG there is a god!!!! :revspin:

a chance to fly with iQuad not once, but TWICE in the same year. :bash: :guns: :bash: :guns:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 05 2007, 08:53 AM

Scott Fisher, the promoter of Mots wanted me to pass this info along:

There's a festival hotel available:
Our sponsored hotel is the former Park East Hotel, now called the Comfort Inn & Suites. It is located right up on the hill from the park. The address is 916 East State St, Milwaukee, WI 414/276-8800. The web address is http://www.parkeasthotel.com/.
Special rate is $89.00 per night.

Scott is offering a 10% discount to IKE members, but you guys are all AKA members right? (click on the link at the top of this page) So you already get a 10% discount. He also says "I will also give out a card for a free Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream cone (that we sell in the store) to all IKE members that somehow ID themselves to me."

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 05 2007, 01:02 PM

It would be cool to have a bunch of red-shirted IKE folks out at Mots. Lets show them what a great club we've got going here!
Even if you don't have an official IKE shirt, it would be nice to wear a red shirt if you come on out.

We are spreading the word about our club. This year we had some red-shirts in Iowa, Ohio, and last weekend in Two Rivers.
Next year, we are gonna have several IKEs way out in California!

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Fri, Sep 07 2007, 07:06 AM

The weather report for Saturday looks good. 8)

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... y=Saturday

Wind from the East is best for this location.

So far Sunday is kinda iffy. :|

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Sep 08 2007, 03:56 AM

Ahh, ignore the forecasts. They are always wrong anyway.

Ken got there yesterday and I'm leaving in a few minutes.
See y'all there!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 08 2007, 09:55 PM

As of tonight, tomorrow's forecast looks favorable. Can't wait to get there!

I think about 10-10:30 is when I'll get in.

IKE is on Image too!

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 11:32 AM

Had a GREAT time at Mots on Saturday! Flying the Mega fly with iquad was a blast! :up: :up: I have to say, it was the highlight of the season :mrgreen:

Here is a video of Mike and Zach flying a demo with iquad-

[googlevideo]900331100192294923&hl[/googlevideo]

Great job guys, you looked excellent! :LogoRevAni:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 09:07 PM

We had tickets lined up, for quite some time for Sept. 8th, for a rock concert; that is one of the reasons why i missed Mots. Besides, i don't care to go to festivals with a name that has my name scrambled in!
The rock group which we saw, by the way, is called Rush. :lol:

excerpt from Tom Sawyer:

Though his mind is not for rent,
Don't put him down as arrogant.
His reserve, a quiet defense,
Riding out the days events.
The river

And what you say about his company
Is what you say about society.
Catch the mist, catch the myth
Catch the mystery, catch the drift.

The world is, the world is,
Love and life are deep,
Maybe as his eyes are wide.

Todays Tom Sawyer,
He gets high on you,
And the space he invades
He gets by on you.

No, his mind is not for rent
To any God or government.
Always hopeful, yet discontent,
He knows changes aren't permanent,
But change is.

And what you say about his company
Is what you say about society.
Catch the witness, catch the wit,
Catch the spirit, catch the spit.

The world is, the world is,
Love and life are deep,
Maybe as his skies are wide.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 09:15 PM

Well as another yr for "Mots" comes to a close. :( A BLAST was had by all, and if it wasnt, well then it was YOUR OWN FAULT!!P

Winds were very trying yesterday but were made up for today. I had passed on flying in the Mega Fly yesterday, :( for the winds were a little light for me. Hats off to the guys and gal that did it in the lighter winds. This afternoon we did it again and had much better winds and we had a total of FOURTEEN kites, yes I sid 14 that is 2 more then they had in Grand Haven earlier this May. It was even better for me this time around, do to the fact that there were too many kites to do everything together at times. So John B. split up the fly into two groups, and Yours truly was LEADER of the second group, mirroring the first group led by John B. WAY TOO KWEL!!!!!! :mrblue:

So I have to ask at this time... Jeff, Issac, and Nick have your feet reached the ground yet?!! :up: 8) ALL THREE of you did GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Babbman GREAT job flying solo for the crowd !!!! Other wise way to many names to comment on, so all I can say is WELL DONE by ALL!!!

Cannot wait to see all the photo/videos taken this weekend by everybody!! 8)

As Jeff has commented in other posting before "Counting to days till next year!!"
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 09:30 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:The rock group which we saw, by the way, is called Rush. :lol:

My first concert, 1977, I was barely 15... At The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

I've seen the following Rush Concert Tours..

Quite obviously, I LOVE Rush

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

lwinfrey

Postby lwinfrey » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 10:28 PM

[quote="Babbman"][quote="Knoted4ever"]
The rock group which we saw, by the way, is called Rush. :lol:
[/quote]

My first concert, 1977, I was barely 15... At The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1e/Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpg/200px-Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpg[/img]

I've seen the following Rush Concert Tours..

[img]http://froogle.google.com/base_image?size=2&q=music/image/0/0UbXiwALGMOC.jpg[/img]
[img]http://froogle.google.com/base_image?size=2&q=music/image/0/0SD7G3v2n9aB.jpg[/img]
[img]http://froogle.google.com/base_image?size=2&q=music/image/0/0noa5tyRLV5I.jpg[/img]
[img]http://froogle.google.com/base_image?size=2&q=music/image/0/0qtv7T4fD3xH.jpg[/img]
[img]http://froogle.google.com/base_image?size=2&q=music/image/0/0aEaV5aF05JI.jpg[/img]
[img]http://froogle.google.com/base_image?size=2&q=music/image/0/0Ka8ZG71wXf.jpg[/img]

Quite obviously, I LOVE Rush[/quote]

DUDE!!!

I have seen some of the later ones, but in '77 I was 10. ;)

lwinfrey

Postby lwinfrey » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 10:34 PM

Ok, I am a newbee here, but I would like to put in my 2 cents. The fest this year was GREAT!! Saturday the wind was only 3mph at the most (i know because I am the one who gets Scotts website working). The skill you all showed in performing on saturday and then coming back on Sunday to 10 to 17mph winds was spectacular!!
As a newer kite man My hats off to all!!

Great Job!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Sep 09 2007, 11:14 PM

That was awesome!

I think I was kite number 10 of the 14 in the mega-fly. I can't wait to see some pictures, or hopefully someone got some video. Clearly I didn't. 8)

I was a little nervous that I'd be the one to take out several kites, but I made it through without incident. Wow, that was cool!

Another incredible day of flying. Mike and Chris, you did a great job performing out there. Outstanding!

:revspin:

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 05:51 AM

It was cool to see such a big turnout of IKE folks. They're going to have to rope off an IKE area next year! Scott, the festival organizer appreciated us being there; it was nice of him to buy everyone lunch on Sunday. The Wisconsin club was very welcoming of all the Red shirts and fed us on Saturday night. We should work out a return favor someday.

Performing with iQuad got better than that low-wind version that Chris posted. Hopefully video of Sunday looked better. It's better in my head anyway. :-) John said the second to last performance on Sunday was the best they ever looked. It certainly felt like everything clicked.

It was a lot of fun flying with everyone in the mega fly. We have so many Rev fliers in our club now, we can do some mega flies whenever we get together. We will definitely do one in DeKalb. Practice those hovers!
:revspin:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 06:11 AM

Mike wrote:They're going to have to rope off an IKE area next year!

Maybe not so much of an IKE area but a Rev fly area for sure... we really were squeezed out of space to fly Rev's on Sunday.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Invis

Postby Invis » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 07:26 AM

The video was great...nice job guys. Were my old eyes failing me or did I see a silver ring go flying through the shot towards the end of the demo? I paused the video but could not quite make out the image or what it was. Are you guys attracting UFO's? :rotfl

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 07:36 AM

Dhaval met us at Mots. And those of you who know me will be able to guess what kind of kite Dhaval bought :up:
Nick gave Dhaval some basic lessons and helped him get the right kite at the shop. Way to go Nick, that's the IKE spirit. Mike S. showed him how to do basic set up, but it was too crowded to really set up the new kite and play. I hope Dhaval makes it out to DeKalb where we can really get him going on his new B-Series rev. Be sure to post any questions you have Dhaval, you'll find lots of help here.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”