Seal Beach, California.

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Hector Herrera

Re: Seal Beach, California.

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 07:41 AM

Mike wrote:Barresi has been doing that routine for about 15 years. It's kind of his signature routine.

Well...I guess I've got to change it for some Mambo, or Salsa rithm... :roll: or maybe some cha-cha-cha...jejeje
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 01:08 PM

Mike wrote:Barresi has been doing that routine for about 15 years. It's kind of his signature routine.

Just for reference, here is that routine...

[youtube]5zcBtYIjaTo[/youtube]
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 01:28 PM

I thought he was going to retire that routine.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 03:27 PM

Two stories about that routine.
Early Sunday at Mots, for some reason that song came over the sound system. John called out the moves and we did a sort of mega-bugs bunny routine.

The other story:
I was talking to Gérard Clément who runs the French kite festival. He said that John told him he wanted to do a demo. Gérard said he didn't understand how he could. The beach was so big and to Gérard, only team flying made sense. But John was a big shot in the U.S., so he agreed. He said he loved John's routine and it really changed his mind about demos.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 08:16 PM

Jeff wrote:

Just for reference, here is that routine...

My Goodness... :shock: I have never seen this before...That guy is pretty good, isn't He.
I guess I will have to choose something else for next show. How about "La bamba"... :-)
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 09:22 PM

Mike wrote:Hector,
Did you use the same music as John Barresi?

Hey guys...I was thinking,... :roll: even though J.B. was the first to play and fly with the Barber of Seville, it doesn't hurt for someone else to do exactly the same thing, which, from my point of view, it would be a TRIBUTE to him. Besides, how many people in California have seen J.B. doing it? Last time in H.B. and None in Seal Beach, so...I guess, in reality is good for other people to play the same if they like. Is there any one against it, to play the same thing?
In any case, I am preparing a brand spanking new one, but I will still practice some more of "My version of The Barber Of Seville"... :wink: or maybe NOT...Besides, who is watching me? Another thing, were is freedom of expresion if only one can do it...???
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

takoboy

Postby takoboy » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 09:55 PM

Hi Hector,

As a competitive and demo flyer, I feel that flying to any song that someone else has already flown to, whether in a demo setting or a competition, is against the unwritten "rules" of kiting. Regardless of whether or not that song is currently being flown or has been retired by the flyer.

As far as John's song and routine, John is still flying that song, in demos and competition. There are lots of hours of editing and choreography that go along with the song. When I hear that song (and I bet many others as well), it reminds me of John Barresi. I don't think it's right to take that away from him.

I know it's a free country with freedom of expression. If you wish to fly the song as a "tribute", you need to talk to John first. Then, in your introduction, the announcer could say that you are flying it as a tribute.

I know that I wouldn't like it if someone flew my song. I'm just suggesting that you reconsider. In other words, I think it's just wrong. Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but I feel strongly about this topic.
Last edited by takoboy on Fri, Sep 21 2007, 08:17 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:59 PM

Thanks...I needed that opinion.
By the way, it was super nice been with you guys at Seal Beach.
Hector
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”