Pontiac Kite Festival Aug 25-26

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Pontiac Kite Festival Aug 25-26

Postby Mike » Mon, Aug 20 2007, 12:02 PM

Pontiac's first Kite Festival is being held at a huge, treeless field. It used to be an airport and is excellent for kites!

It's this weekend, Aug 25-26 2007, 10am - 5pm both days.

You can find it here: Map

Directions from I-55:
Take Interstate 55 to exit 197 East (116). Follow 116 (it will turn into Reynolds St.). Just past the train tracks turn right (South) on Old Airport Road and the Rex Plex will be on the left side of the street (east) a mile or so down the road.

The Comfort Inn still has a few rooms left for those wanting to make a weekend of it.

This will be a lot of fun! It would be great if we could get a bunch of IKE folks there to help kick this thing off right!

Babbman

Re: Pontiac Kite Festival Aug 25-26

Postby Babbman » Mon, Aug 20 2007, 01:24 PM

I'll be there for both days...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Aug 20 2007, 09:38 PM

Saturday evening, some of us are going out to shoot pool in Pontiac! i think we may be meeting at the local bowling lanes spot, which has plenty of pool tables. If you can shoot pool even just a little bit on the almost decent side, you are welcome to join. If your shooting is totally rotten, you are more than welcome... it will make the rest of us look as if we almost know what we're doing! :roll: There will be free beer for the losers... so you can forget that you've lost! i don't drink, and i won't need to. :mrblue:

:twisted: i guess my spirit of cooperation and non-competition... doesn't necessarily apply to pool! :roll:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Aug 21 2007, 12:38 AM

If your shooting is totally rotten, you are more than welcome... it will make the rest of us look as if we almost know what we're doing!

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :up: So True!!!!!

I will also be there for both days, and my "Blue Eyed Betty" will be accompanying me. :mrblue: :mrblue: :guns: Hope Mimi plays nice, because she is going to have a new friend to share the spot light with. :up:

Should be a BLAST!!! Here is hoping IKE will be there in force with that wonderful sea of RED!!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Aug 21 2007, 10:25 AM

maybe I can see if Iplay pool like I fly kite. :rotfl :rotfl :up:

www.chicagokite.com

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Aug 22 2007, 09:43 PM

We will probably be shooting pool at the Fiesta Bowling Lanes, which is across the street (to the north) from the McDonalds that is at the interection of Old Route 66 and Route 116.

Beer is allowed at the pool table areas. The tables, by the way, are full size with small pockets. (Now is the time to gulp nervously.) :mrblue:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Thu, Aug 23 2007, 12:05 AM

:cry: I'd love to come, but I don't do well driving at night anymore.

Why are all these so far away? :cry:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Aug 23 2007, 12:58 AM

Hi Roxy, the fest is for two days, think maybe you could make it out on sunday instead? That way you would not to drive late in the evening.

If not, dont forget the DeKalb fest. I think that might be closer to you. It is on the 16th of Sept. which is only a couple of weeks away. :wink: :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, Aug 23 2007, 10:31 AM

Hello guys and gals

its almost fly time looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sat morning We could use some help setting up the fields around 8 am for demos and lage stunts and public . If you are up for stakeing and ropeing off Please let us know.

www.chicagokite.com

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Thu, Aug 23 2007, 10:31 PM

I'll be at the Decalb fest, off that weekend. I work this Sat. Hope everyone's home is dry.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Aug 23 2007, 10:33 PM

i'll try to come early... but i'd rather avoid stakes... being a vegetarian.
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Aug 24 2007, 07:39 AM

Knoted4ever wrote:i'll try to come early... but i'd rather avoid stakes... being a vegetarian.

Groooooaaan. :-)

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Aug 24 2007, 09:49 AM

tom well put some tomato sauce out there for ya :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :up:

thanks
www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Aug 25 2007, 05:51 AM

The festival got some press in the Bloomington newspaper:
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007 ... 494163.txt

Jim Bacigalupo

Postby Jim Bacigalupo » Mon, Aug 27 2007, 09:10 PM

I just want to say what a great event this was, my wife and I happened to see the kites in the air while bringing our dogs out for a swim.
Saturday I was ecstatic to get the hydrofoil my wife bought all the way out to its 300 feet, Sunday, I had to buy a Revolution four line. I was about to buy a dual line, but found out the Rev was made in US, so now I have a new mission, and thanks so much to Mike for taking the time to come over and get me set up, and give a lesson that resulted in me actually getting it up in the air, even though the show was over and he was getting ready to go and everyone was trying to say goodbye to him. Someday I will pay it forward. . .

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Aug 27 2007, 09:57 PM

Glad that you enjoyed the Pontiac Festival, Jim! :up: i'm also so thrilled that you bought a Rev! That really makes my day! :wink:

There are plenty of dual line kites made in the USA also; and it's a global economy... but dual line kites are for sissy babies!
Tom P.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Aug 27 2007, 09:58 PM

Welcome Aboard Jim,

Glad to here you had a good time this past weekend out at the fest!! and Even more so about the purchase of the rev. I am also a quad flier.

Here is hoping we might catch you out at a field some time soon. :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 28 2007, 08:31 AM

Jim,
welcome to the club! It was a pleasure to meet you.
Try to make it out to the DeKalb festival on Sept 16th. We can give you a less hurried lesson and you can meet more of the members of the club.
:revspin: :revspin: :revspin:

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Aug 28 2007, 09:57 PM

A lot of people at work gave a lot of positive feedback about the Pontiac Kite Festival! People were saying that they had no idea that kites could do those kinds of things! They were very impressed by the kiting maneuvers (the dual line stuff and how the Revs could hover and land on and tap things), by the many large kites, and the large variety of kites! i think that many more people will be there next time... after all the talk about the festival at Fox Center.

Unfortunately, Tim couldn't make it to the festival or pool games because his house had flooding problems; Sharon, a co-worker, also couldn't come due to flooding.

Anyway, the people who made it were all smiles about it! :up:

My computer monitor fried to never-land :shock: ... so i am temporarily using Marla's laptop.
Tom P.

SURF-KANSAS

Postby SURF-KANSAS » Tue, Sep 04 2007, 10:55 PM

What a blast-----We had a ball. Stephany and I loved you all-----a must to do it again. See you all soon. :up: :LogoRevAni:

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”