DeKalb Kite Festival

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Jeff

Re: DeKalb Kite Festival

Postby Jeff » Sun, Sep 16 2007, 09:36 PM

Mike wrote:Jeff: Yeah, you with your fancy phone that can read the forums.
I wanted to say goodbye to ya Jeff, but I couldn't find you.

Finally home and showered....aahhh.

I didn't realize so many folks were going to leave so quickly after it was over. There were several people I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to. Right after the official stuff ended, I shot some footage with Al for his promo video, and then I helped with the takedown of the big stuff.

Came back to my kite and just flew until I couldn't anymore. Right up until about sunset.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Sep 16 2007, 10:02 PM

Sigh. I hate that this was our last big festival together for the season.

100% :ditto

Well if this had to be the last big fest for the year, we sure did go out with a HUGE BANG!!! With all the demos everybody did wowing the crowds, the rok battle and candy drops. People from around the area will now have a whole new meaning of what flying a kite really is. Its a terrible job but somebody has to do it, and boy dont we have FUN doing it?!!!!! :mrblue:

A huge tipping of the hat to all the people that had a hand in getting the show up and running, and to everybody from here that helped with making it such a show stopped!!! :up:

I guess we will just have to make one of the winter fest that are around. At least the winds maybe more dependable.? :wink: :wink: :mrblue: Ya I know along with the cold. :roll:

Agreed Mike, the shot of looking down the lines is very KWEL!!! I cannot wait to see all the photos and video that was taken today.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Sep 16 2007, 11:15 PM

Mike wrote:
Hey Al, Fern said your pilot kite disappeared? So very sorry to hear that.

The white pilot was cut, but it was recovered.

I am trying to get moving to unload the kites, they may have to wait a day or two.
Alan Sparling

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 08:44 AM

Another one down

Great job to all :up: An A+ for the Overmans

Not the last one dont forget chicago montrose oct 6th

www.chicagokite.com

JJ

Postby JJ » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks all for coming out yesterday. Check out what the daily paper had today.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles ... news02.txt

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/shared-c ... albumid=21

JJ

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 08:28 PM

Yes, thank you for all everyone did yesterday. The festival was the talk of the town today. Everyone loved it!!!

I can vouch that Jeff was the last kiter standing. He was there until sun started setting! It was a quiet peaceful end to the day to pack the last of the ripstop away, with a rev flying alone on the hills.

Al, I'm glad you got your pilot back. I'm also glad everyone survived the munchkin invasion. :shock: I thought for awhile there you must have swallowed your whistle! Perhaps we outa upgrade you to a safety siren, so we'll know for certain when you're in distress out there.

That crown was something! Looked all innocent and harmless on the ground, then just got bigger and bigger. A little adrenline rush to get me through the rest of the day. :wink:

Lot's of other fond memories to proccess through and pics to peruse and get posted. You'll all hear from me again 'bout this I'm sure.
TTFN,
Draftnik

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 08:47 PM

It all started with a freak gust of wind that rolled the barrel past the cones. In telling people the it was not a problem if it rolled over them I created a monster. A couple of people who had scrambled out of the way asked if they could let it roll over them. The rest was inevitable, when it got too crazy I used the kill ring and collapsed the barrel. A pity it can not be done in a more controlled way, ten people or so at a time. But it was not to be.
Alan Sparling

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 09:10 PM

I had some friends show up just about the time that the barrel craze was going on... from a distance, it looked like the barrel was being attacked by a mob... all that was missing was pitchforks and torches ! lol... My friends had never been to a festival before and of course, the barrel was an eye catcher... their shock at what was going on was absolutely priceless...

Al, your displays were great and we were all wondering why that one Octopus was flying lifterless

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 09:31 PM

:mrblue: This Fest was a total blast! :!: You folks are the nicest people, so much fun to fly with! Nice crowds, darn good weather considering... it was sweet! i wanted to stay longer, but Marla pulled me away... as we have two indoor dogs and one of them is older! Marla really enjoyed it too, and would like to attend the Montrose event!

Thanks so much to Dave (Chicago Kite) for the lunch! He is so considerate and thoughtful! :wink: And i thought that the DJ guy did a fantastic job!... i hope that he is there again next year! He did great (and he's a construction worker)! i hope that his leg continues to heal! :doc: :nurse:

That pic of Chris with the bridle is cool! 8)

P.S.- i wish all of the quad kites would explode and disintegrate in the middle of the event (like Issac's did)! :wink: That sure perked me up!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 09:34 PM

"Thanks so much to Dave (Chicago Kite) for the lunch! He is so considerate and thoughtful! "

Yes... Thank you David...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 17 2007, 10:15 PM

yup,
thanks David.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 08:25 AM

Here's what the DeKalb Chamber put on their site yesterday and sent to all it's members.

http://www.dekalb.org/pdf/KiteFestPhotoPage07.pdf
TTFN,

Draftnik

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 12:25 PM

Pardon me while I shift gear outa organizer mode and into just plain old kiter mode and gush a little....

Do you know that kiters are the greatest folks on earth? Man, alive they really ROCKed this town! They not only had a full day of stunt demo's and perfomances, but there was a surprise arrival of a 4th octopus, a show and tell with amazing kites, some from all around the world, an impromtu aeolian garden, a seascape ground display, a bear drop, a frightful amount of kids for the candy drop, and a mob scene at the barrel (that Al is still recovering from) but the kids enjoyed, beautiful banner displays, great kite creations, and a wonderful dinner with some of my favorite people on earth.

I got my feet wet on the whole sound booth experience. Thanks to alot of hand holding by the initiated kiters we got through a rough start up and things moved along better and better. (Like that invisible flag? That was my fault-I dropped the ball to key up the kite to fly it on.) By the end we were ejoying an easier flow of activities. Many, many thanks to those who gave patience, support and help at the sound booth. Ivan is a general contractor and developer, and retired DJ who volunteered to do this, AND was talking about next year by the end. We sooo, have to get a kite in that mans hands cause he's just like us!

Chris wow'ed em with a tail on a dual line. Knoted got lotsa great compliments on his demo. IKE rocked as always! Fire and Ice and O2 and the youngest Gordon (and ever supportive mother) provided another level of experience and professionalism. Banshee brought beanie babies for the candy drop. Hale worked his tail off getting banners up, and down along with all the other ripstop he put up. Folks were reporting seeing kites from towns all over thanks to Killips and other high flyers.

When I grow up, I wanna be a kiter who delights festival organizers just like you all did this weekend! You all brought me to the brink of tears several times Sunday and thank you's just don't express the gratitude I have.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 12:29 PM

We love you Chris. We were all high after playing at your festival.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks for inviting us out! I am looking forward to next year already! :up: :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 10:44 PM

I am looking forward to next year already!

110% :ditto

As I have stated in the past, "Where else can someone be asked to come out and play?"

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 10:55 PM

I just had a look at the picture of the posting from Draftnik. It looks like even a few of the wifes were unexpectedly photographed!! :clap Too kwel

breath on you.

-------

Ken

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 07:58 AM

hey guys

your all welcome it was our pleasure :up:

Dave
www.chicagokite.com

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, Sep 19 2007, 10:07 AM

Posted a few pics in my photo album, had way too many to choose from. Gave the wife the camera and she went berserk with it!

Here's the slideshow
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Sun, Sep 23 2007, 12:16 AM

Fantistic job Chris, JJ, Dave and everyone else! It was beautiful seeing all the kites in the sky. Issac, did your kite survive, hoping it was just your rod.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”