Family Kite Festival, Milwaukee

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Family Kite Festival, Milwaukee

Postby Mike » Wed, May 23 2007, 01:29 PM

Anyone going to this festival this weekend?
It's a pretty big festival with mega kites, continuous demos with Chicago Fire, dual and quad demos with other folks too.
Also has mega-kites, food vendors and a large crowd.

I'll be there and I haven't really clicked with the demo crowd. Partly shyness on my part, partly that the demo folks never leave the demo area--with the exception of my buddy Zach. Anyway, could use the company of another quad flier!

This is the same place that iQuad will be flying in September.

Jeff

Re: Family Kite Festival, Milwaukee

Postby Jeff » Wed, May 23 2007, 03:03 PM

Will you be there both days?

I'll go for at least one. I wouldn't mind getting a few tips for some Quad moves if you have the time. Maybe some of the fundamental stuff I should be practicing.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 23 2007, 03:58 PM

I'll be there both days and giving tips is what I'm there for. I don't do any demos, I just hang out and fly and give tips. :-)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, May 23 2007, 04:55 PM

I might join you on Sunday... Milwaukee isn't all that far away... Let me see what I can do for my schedule...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, May 23 2007, 05:42 PM

I'll see what can arrange, I might be able to do one day.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, May 23 2007, 09:28 PM

I'll be there.

Hey Mike, I picked up a red B-Series standard so I'll be up for any wind condition. Hoping to be ready for the iQuad mega fly in September. :weight:

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 23 2007, 09:56 PM

Isaac, that's great.
we'll do some practice moves this weekend, especially if some of the other IKE club quad guys show up.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, May 23 2007, 10:29 PM

Sorry but I have to bow out for this weekend, got the honey-do list waiting for the long weekend.:(

The wife has been really good to me, letting me play as much as I have been. :loveit:

So I cannot complain at all. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, May 23 2007, 10:47 PM

I'd have to say that ALL of our wives have been pretty well behaved and extremely generous in letting all of us play.

I sat down the other night and wrote Jenny a bit of a love letter and thanked her profusely for letting me indulge in this hobby. She really takes the brunt of family life on the weekends that I fly as not only does she babysit and take Elie to work with her every day, she also takes her to work on those Saturdays.. It's difficult as those are her busiest days.

I think we are going to have to take a club fly day and turn it into a family picnic day or something like that, just so we can all show our appreciation to our other halves...

Then we can put on a demo for them to show them what we have been doing!....... :rotfl what? :oops:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Thu, May 24 2007, 07:32 PM

Mike wrote:Anyone going to this festival this weekend?
It's a pretty big festival with mega kites, continuous demos with Chicago Fire, dual and quad demos with other folks too.
Also has mega-kites, food vendors and a large crowd.

I'll be there and I haven't really clicked with the demo crowd. Partly shyness on my part, partly that the demo folks never leave the demo area--with the exception of my buddy Zach. Anyway, could use the company of another quad flier!

This is the same place that iQuad will be flying in September.

Mike,

Depending on the weather, you may see me down at Veterans Park on Saturday. Won't be taking any big festival displays to Scott's event. Instead, I plan to pack some art kites, my Rev Shockwave & quad-lined flying pig, and maybe just a FEW banners. If you guys have the time, maybe I could pick up some tips / flying lessons with the quad-lined kites. Will try to remember to bring my handcuffs along....

PS: better pack your rain gear!!

get high on kites...but not too high :up:

Jeff Hale
:LogoRevAni:

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, May 24 2007, 09:02 PM

As of right now, the forecast for Sunday looks better than Saturday.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreati ... dp=windsdp

IKE is on Image too!

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Fri, May 25 2007, 04:51 AM

True, there is more of a chance for rain on Saturday. However the wind is supposed to from the East on Saturday( off the lake) and from the West on Sunday ( from the city). When the wind is from the West, Veterans Park is a terrible place to fly.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, May 25 2007, 09:13 PM

Well, I'll be up there on Sunday for sure with my wife and daughter.

Since Milwaukee is only about an hour away for me, I may also be able to get up there for a few hours tomorrow, if the weather looks decent.

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, May 28 2007, 08:55 AM

I hear that there was an accident at this event. I heard that Yves LaForest was fly a large Bol and it pulled its anchor free and blew through the crowd. I was told the anchor hit someone in the arm and that the paramedics were there. Any more details?

There are several concerned current and past AKA board members here in Wildwood. Any additional info would be appreciated.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 28 2007, 09:35 AM

That's pretty much it Al.
The paramedics were called before it was known if anyone was even hurt. The ambulance came and left, empty.
It could have been worse of course, but it looked to me like the woman got nothing more than a bruise. When I saw her, she was holding ice on it. She was eventually taken to the hospital just in case.

The bol lofted an flew out over the lake and was recovered by the coast guard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 28 2007, 10:00 AM

Other than that incident on Sunday, the festival was a lot of fun.
On Saturday the winds were very light and we got rained out in the afternoon.
Sunday had sun and wind and a large enthusiastic crowd.

Mimi saw a lot action and I had fun messing with the folks on my end of the field with my rev. Had a lot of nice chats with the festival visitors. Nice folks there in Milwaukee. Also gave a some rev lessons/tips to some Rev newbies.

I met a really nice fellow there, named Dave. I just noticed that he's already joined our club. He plans on driving down from Milwaukee to the Naperville festival. He's a dual line flier that has just discovered the joys of quads. :revspin:
A nice family from Illinois plans on joining the club and meeting up with us in Naperville too. Their young daughter just bought a dualie. I helped her to put it together and Dave, our latest member, jumped right in and gave her lessons.

Jeff was there on Sunday with his beautiful collection of 4 Rev I kites. Jeff brought his charming wife and daughter along. Their 3 year old daughter has the makings of a real kiter. She flew a pocket kite for quite a bit and was able to launch it herself when it crashed.

Our other Jeff, Jeff Hale, came out both days. Issac also came out for the weekend and flew his dualies and quads. Banshee dropped by for a visit on Saturday.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, May 28 2007, 10:42 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I hear that there was an accident at this event. I heard that Yves LaForest was fly a large Bol and it pulled its anchor free and blew through the crowd. I was told the anchor hit someone in the arm and that the paramedics were there. Any more details?

There are several concerned current and past AKA board members here in Wildwood. Any additional info would be appreciated.

It was pretty scary for a minute. It was staked behind and to the left of us. All of a sudden, we see it pulling across the field, dragging its stake and picking up speed. It went directly through the demonstration area while a performance was going on. Several folks tried to chase after it to no avail. My wife was in the audience about 30 feet from where it went through, and although I couldn't hear, apparently Ann(is that her name...?) on the loudspeaker was telling people to just stay out of its way.

It dragged through where the people were, then up through the top of a tree, and then got further airborn, and headed out over the lake.

IKE is on Image too!

mke_dave

Postby mke_dave » Mon, May 28 2007, 04:37 PM

It would appear the incident was a non-event as far as media coverage, didn't see anything on the news or in the newspaper yesterday or today...

Hey Mike or Jeff, if either you guys found a pair of REV handles when you were cleaning up, I um know a certain noob :cry: thats missing a set...

If you didn't find them, no biggie, I'll order some new ones for Sat..

Dave

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, May 28 2007, 05:52 PM

I didn't see them and I always look around before I leave a field 'cause I've left stuff behind too.
If you call David Zavell at Chicago Kite (click on the ad at the top of the page) he can bring them to the Naperville festival. He'll be there vending kites.
Make sure you get the newer longer handles.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, May 28 2007, 09:51 PM

Hey Dave

I have an extra set of Barresi handles you can have. I'll check my schedule for Naperville.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”