Decatur Kite Festival

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
TheBigKiteGuy

Re: Decatur Kite Festival

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Apr 26 2007, 09:16 PM

I have a horrible time with people's names as much as I travel and always have had trouble even without the confusion of screen names. That is why I always sign my full name and if I had it to do over would just use my name as my screen name. I must admit to a level of confusion as to who I actually know and have not matched a screen name to, those who I know screen names but not real names and those I can not figure out who the heck they really are.

I will have to make myself a cheat sheet as I figure out who is who, or maybe just slap labels on people :-)

Obviously, I have not been a big forum person and back when I was active on rec.kites it was a network of corporate computers and people had to use their real names. It definitely limited the abuse that came later with anonymous posting.

Oh well, off my soapbox. Think about saying who you really are.
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Apr 26 2007, 09:48 PM

i'd be interested in a hotel bed or room for sure! i'll be bringing flashing-multiple-colored kite lights... and we all know what that means!

from William Blake:

He who binds to himself a joy,
Does the winged life destroy;
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity's sunrise.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Apr 26 2007, 11:12 PM

Well, I guess the PL fish won't be flying this weekend. I thought that my sewing machine was finally fixed
from trying to use new thread on the play sail. I could never get the tension right with the thin thread.
So, I worked the body of the fish through the machine and started to sew the 12 - 18 inch tear, there
was a LOUD metallic thump and the machine is frozen. I will have to tear it down and find what broke.

Bottom line is that the fish gets to rest this weekend. Oh well, there is still the Octopus, Gecko, Trilobite,
male and female Meanies, the 20' soft plane, diver and whatever else I cram in the SUV. I think I will
find something to fly. :lol: however the Barrel also needs repairs so it too is sidelined.

I will be heading out after work tomorrow, so I won't be online after the morning. Logging on to private mail accounts
or forums from work is a firing offense ever since someone brought a nasty virus past the firewalls that way.

So I may see some of you tomorrow night, if not Saturday morning.
Alan Sparling

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 02:23 AM

I will be out there on saturday morning, hoping around 9ish. Look for the "IKE" banner. Trust me you wont miss it!! :up: Cannot wait, its going to be another wonderful weekend for flying. :mrviolet:
See all that is coming then.

Welcome aboard Shawn.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 06:00 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I will have to make myself a cheat sheet as I figure out who is who, or maybe just slap labels on people :-)

Chris and I have talked about some sort of name tag for everyone, something with the club logo. I haven't looked into what's available yet.
We'll talk about it in a new thread after Decatur.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 06:18 AM

The Decatur news reporter and I played phone tag for a bit and then she gave up and just wrote her own thing, here.

"Mike Corey will be displaying some of his sport kites, spiked ball kites and even kites shaped as octopuses, guitars and cherubs, which he and his fellow members of the Illinois Kite Enthusiasts like to show off."

So who wants to whip up a anatomically correct cherub for this weekend?

Doesn't really matter, as long as it inspires the public to come on out and enjoy what we do bring the festival. :-)

Probably get another chance to get your photo in the paper, Ken. Or at least your kite lines :-D

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:08 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:i'd be interested in a hotel bed or room for sure!

Right now, Tom has the room to himself. It's got two queen beds. If anyone else wants the other bed, let me know.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Apr 28 2007, 08:13 PM

ok, as far as I know right now, I'm heading up tomorrow morning (sunday)... drive time is something like 3.5 hrs and I plan on leaving around 5am or so..

Where can I meet you guys?

Any thing I should know about where to park or anything else?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Apr 28 2007, 08:38 PM

I'll be there before 8:30. Just look for me.
Chris figured it would be a 2 1/2 hour drive if he didn't make a detour. He said not to trust Microsoft's directions.

It's real nice setup. Behind us is a grass area and behind that is a chain-link fence. You can put up all the SLKS you want in the grass area and there wont be any interference from the public kites crashing into them.
Plenty of room for us to fly, it's a huge area. We just have to work around these electrical boxes, but they are far enough apart that it's not a problem, even with 120' lines.
Al had his octopus and trilobite up all day. His fish suffered some damage but was up for a while too.

Ken's banner looks great.

Nice sized crowd today too. The TV stations were supposed to come out but they didn't show. Too bad, it would have brought even more folks in tomorrow.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Apr 28 2007, 08:54 PM

I'll give you a ring if I don't see you when I get there...

Anything special on parking?

Looking forward to it..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Sat, Apr 28 2007, 10:10 PM

Sounds like you Decatur a real success! Wish we could be there, the weather up here is perfect but I was trapped inside all day doing geek stuff on the computer.

Hope Sunday goes as well for y'all!

Somebody throw an SLK up for me!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Apr 29 2007, 08:26 PM

The view from the big kite field.

Mostly from too far away, too lazy to walk through the alfalfa.
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Apr 29 2007, 08:37 PM

Decatur was a blast!... except for that golf-ball size hail that interrupted things a bit! :shock:
Just kidding, of course!

It truly was a lot of fun! It's a very nice field and there were many amazing kites flying both days! i took video footage, and will have to check it out and put some on a disc; if it's good enough, maybe one of you non-dialuppers can upload it. i tried to do video of that amazing dual-line trickster that was on the field, but every time i went to get the video camera he left the field! :?

Dialupper is to non-dialupper as is
Tortoise to Hare.

The kids sure had fun with the Spiky Balls and Ken's new IKE Banner was totally too cool. It will have to go to Grand Haven! You guys are sure awesome sewers!

Nice pics, Al! i took some cool video of you big kites; i hope the Octopus will be in the correct color!

from Marcus Aurelius (i.e., the wise, elderly emperor in the Gladiator movie):

To see things in the present moment
is to see all that is now,
all that has been since time began,
and all that shall be unto the world's end;
for all things are of
one kind and one form.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Apr 29 2007, 10:06 PM

It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Apr 29 2007, 10:23 PM

Yes it was once again a HUGE BLAST!!!!!! But as it seams to always goes Ol' Ma Nature was cruel to us... to much winds one day and then little squirrelly the next day. :evil: Cant she ever play nice? :roll:

Tom wowed the crowds as always with the slack line trickery and the "quad guys with no name" razzle- dazzled the crowds with team flying thought sometimes sloppy :oops:, they never knew the difference. :wink: We WILL get tighter as time goes on!! :up:

and as ALWAYS those GIANT inflatables grabbed the eyes from off of the expressway and from ALL areas around to bring in the crowds in,that did not know about the fest. Nice job Al, Shawn, and Tony!!!

The people who threw the fest did a wonderful job and were VERY pleased. It sounded like they were interested in doing it again next yr which will be even bigger. YIPPY!! Looks like another good fest to do. Great fields to fly in, HUGE at best doesnt describe it well enough!

and here is a shot of my banner flying in the breeze...
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Apr 30 2007, 08:52 PM

"The Quad Guys with No Name" Too 8)
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 30 2007, 09:19 PM

Frodos Majik wrote:The people who threw the fest did a wonderful job and were VERY pleased. It sounded like they were interested in doing it again next yr which will be even bigger. YIPPY!! Looks like another good fest to do. Great fields to fly in, HUGE at best doesnt describe it well enough!

Next year: candy drops, bratwurst drops (with a parachute), rok battles, music and announcing by a local radio station, media day to promote the festival...

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Apr 30 2007, 10:08 PM

Mike wrote:
Frodos Majik wrote: Great fields to fly in, HUGE at best doesnt describe it well enough!

Next year: candy drops, bratwurst drops (with a parachute), rok battles, music and announcing by a local radio station, media day to promote the festival...

OK, one at a time. I have no idea what alfalfa is like as it matures, we had to deal with some snagging as it was, but this may have been the ideal hight. Less and we would be snagging on stubble, more and ? It may not be properly enthusiastic, but I need to protect my investment. I can not have a day like David Gomberg did at the first Kites over Quincey. When I asked how his day had gone, he stated it had been a two thousand dollar day. I asked if that was the price of a kite he had sold, He said "No, that is how much damage the stubble had done." Also, the phrase "Freshly tilled" made me nervous as to if the anchors would hold. We got lucky this year, I don't know what would have happened with an earlier or later planting. I did not notice anyone else coming out to fly in the alfalfa. :twisted: I am not saying don't do it, but I am much less excited about the field. In grass, I would say it was wonderful, in alfalfa.....

bratwurst drops: I can only imagine what the newspaper photos would look like. :shock: Then again, the photos might be censured. :lol:

Media day, organizers love media days, but the only successful media days I have attended are for very established festivals. Usually, there is a lot of hype for the media day, but little or no media.

I am too strapped for vacation days to take an extra day off for a media day. Wildwood and Grand Haven are the only festivals I do media days for. Don't plan on me being able to take an extra day off.

And it was a very ugly day at work which is influencing my mood tonight. More layoffs in June.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 01 2007, 05:41 AM

First, sorry about the layoffs. That's always hard, even if you personally keep your job.

Those ideas were off the top of my head and are not all necessarily going to happen. However...

Alfalfa: Wrong time of year for stubble, and if he tills, there may never be stubble. The area is huge, if the alfalfa is a problem we can move the big kites towards the back of the enclosed area. It was nice to have them nearer the road though.

I've see Bratwurst drops, they are parachuted down from the kite. First the kids do the candy drop, then big kids and adults go chasing after the parachuted bratwurst as it drifts down the field. It's pretty hilarious. Those electric boxes are a concern though, don't want folks running in to them while their eye is on the sky.

I didn't expect you to come down for a media day. It could just be some local sport kiters and some single lines and I would get the local Decatur fliers involved. Small town newspapers will do a whole page article on local eccentrics--free advertising. We'll hand out photos of your big stuff.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, May 01 2007, 09:13 AM

Actually a adult candy drop with wrapped Godiva chocolate works well too, although it is expensive. I will always remember Pat Sotich elbowing this guy in the solar plexes going for a piece of chocolate. The women were much more aggressive than the men in this event, I assume that would be reversed for the bratwurst.
Alan Sparling

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”