Kites over Lake Storey

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Frodos Majik

Kites over Lake Storey

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Apr 02 2007, 10:59 PM

Thinking about heading out Galesburg for their kite fest on May 5-6th. Wondering if any others are going to attend this one also?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

JJ

Re: Kites Over Lake Storey

Postby JJ » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 08:28 AM

Hey Ken,

This was our second festival we ahd ever been to. The first was Perry Farm. We had a blast. Very layed back. The winds usally are good one of the two days.

JJ
Last edited by JJ on Tue, Apr 03 2007, 01:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 11:07 AM

Hi guys

Dont forget that day 5th is also Chicagos kite fly at science and industry. Could use some club members there. :thanks:

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 12:33 PM

We'll be there too. Hopefully there'll be more wind than last year!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 06:08 PM

Please come if you can, you might also contact Mary Turnquist with the rec department about a motel room, as of last week there were still two rooms available. 309-345-3604. mturnq@ci.galesburg.il.us

Chris

Re: Kites over Lake Storey

Postby Chris » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 08:44 PM

I'll be at Grinnell on Saturday, and then off to the land of 10,000 lakes to visit friends and family.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 08:48 PM

I'll be at Grinnell on Saturday too. Then my daughter is singing at a concert on Sunday so I'm gonna miss Lake Storey.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 10:34 AM

chicagokite wrote:Hi guys
Dont forget that day 5th is also Chicagos kite fly at science and industry.

Anyone who lives in that part of the state and isn't going to make the drive to Iowa or Galesburg should check out this one.
If the wind is coming off the lake it's a great time.
I went last year and there were a million kids with big grins on their faces flying their home-made kites.
There was an area set aside for some of us sport kiters with it's own security guard who's only job seemed to be to keep it for sport kites only.
The big kites were flying down on the beach, but I didn't make it down there as I was having too much fun up in the sport kite field. :-D

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 10:10 PM

Ken, i may be interested in Lake Storey. i've been thinking about that one and have heard that it's really a good fest! Maybe we could car-pool; i'd drive. Let me know...
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 12:50 AM

Sound like a possibility Tom. Are you going to be out in Sycamore on saturday? We can talk more about then if you are.

On a side note a big :thanks: to Akillip, I talked to Mary this morning and have gotten a room. :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 07:50 PM

i won't be going to Sycamore, Ken. Send me your phone # in a private posting and i'll call you. i have pre-approved vacation time off from work around that weekend... so i'll be very rested and won't mind driving a bit. Galesburg was one of the towns we went to as a group when i was into fossil hunting... they had a marvelous, huge fossil-swap there! (A huge, perfect Velociraptor fossilized egg clutch was one of the many excellent specimens for sale at that spectacular swap! It was sure something to see!)
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 05:57 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:Thinking about heading out Galesburg for their kite fest on May 5-6th. Wondering if any others are going to attend this one also?

I've flown at KOLS each & every year. Unfortunately, it always happens to fall on a work weekend for me & this year I've had to free up that vacation time in order to go visit the Wildwood International Kite Festival in New Jersey (end of May). Might possibly have room for a hitchhiker if anyone wants to tag along...depends on how a big a van I end up getting.

:LogoRevAni: Jeff Hale - SkyWalker

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 09:46 AM

I will see you there Jeff. I am flying as I don't have enough vacation time to take extra time to drive. Driving would be nice for taking extra gear though. I could pay to take an extra compression sack, but I can hear Pete Dolphin yelling about it even though it is just a stray thought. In all fairness to Pete, he picks up David Gomberg and myself at the Philly Airport, puts us up for the night, and then drives us all to Wildwood. Three big kite fliers in one vehicle, however large, is a tight fit.

BTW, Jeff did you get a copy of the Clear Lake Sunday paper with your banners on the front page?
Alan Sparling

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Tue, Apr 17 2007, 06:04 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I will see you there Jeff. I am flying as I don't have enough vacation time to take extra time to drive. Driving would be nice for taking extra gear though. I could pay to take an extra compression sack, but I can hear Pete Dolphin yelling about it even though it is just a stray thought. In all fairness to Pete, he picks up David Gomberg and myself at the Philly Airport, puts us up for the night, and then drives us all to Wildwood. Three big kite fliers in one vehicle, however large, is a tight fit.

BTW, Jeff did you get a copy of the Clear Lake Sunday paper with your banners on the front page?

g'morning Al, :zzz:

Given that I have a new van by then & am able to go to Wildwood (shouldn't be a problem - still plenty of time), I'd be happy to make room for an extra compression sack. Interested in showing off the giant barrel perhaps??

Flying out there would be great...but unfortunately I haven't yet mastered the fine art of traveling 'lite'. Can't imagine going to ANY kiting event without having at least 200-300 lbs of kiting gear along.

As for the Clear Lake paper, no...wasn't able to get my hands on a copy. Attended the post-festival shindig, then around 10pm had to leave & drive all the way back home so that I pull the 7am-7pm shift at work (joy!!). Been in touch with Kay & Larry several times since Color The Wind, but don't recall either of them mentioning anything about a kiting article in Sunday's paper. Did you by any chance happen to snag a spare copy??? Got a huge flat-bed scanner here, so that's another possibility. Thanks!

PS: the banner display just grew again today. Pretty sure that it must be the largest such display in the country now. (Kurt Lisk eat your heart out!!! :twisted: )

get 'high' on kites,

Jeff Hale - SkyWalker
:LogoRevAni:

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Apr 17 2007, 10:13 PM

I have a copy of the paper still in the back of the SUV. Don't know if it is badly yellowed or not. I will look. It is way past it for an interior cleaning.
Alan Sparling

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Sun, May 06 2007, 12:02 AM

Saturday at Galesburg was great. The day started out with some iffy winds but if you got above the tree line you found some clear wind. I had my delta up most of the day and it was cool to watch people stop and stare as it went from ground to 150 feet up just in a few seconds. It's always neat to see people stop and take a picture of your pride and joy!

We met a new/old friend today, Al from Peoria. What a great guy. I knew as I watched him patch a crying little girl's three dollar plastic kite with tape he just happened to have in his trunk that he knew what kiteing was all about. I had a chance to see his collection and he's a master at "non-traditional" materials when it comes to kite building. Tyvek, double faced carpet tape, old tent poles, drop clothes, and (my favorite) swimming pool noodles, are some of the things he uses. I won't steal her thunder but be sure to ask Draftnik about her Jellyfish!

It was cool to see Frodos' IKE banner up close and personal like. What a nice job!

Sunday should be interesting. Depending on what source you use the wind should be somewhere between 13 and 33 mph. I suppose if you throw enough ripstop up eventually someting will stick.

I took a bunch of pictures today but, of course, left the camera in the car. I'll be sure to get some posted tomorrow!

Have to get some sleep, Frodos Magic said he'd introduce me to the joys of Quad flying tomorrow....If my limited skills with the two line kites are any indication, he may come to regret that!

Rick
AKA Kite Butt
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, May 06 2007, 09:26 PM

Lake Storey was a lot of fun! Ken and i car-pooled and had a lot of very good conversation! Ken and i shared a room; he doesn't snore loudly at all! He, for some slight reason, let me try a nose-strip... and i will be purchasing some.

It was nice meeting Rick and his wife Cara and spending time with them! i'm glad that they will be going to Grand Haven!... there sure will be a lot of IKE people there; we'll definitely be a major presence! It was also great to spend time with JJ, Draftnik, and KiteSlayer. Ken and i, along with Rick, JJ, and Draftnik, spent a good amount of time in the hotel pool Saturday evening... and it was a blast! It was very cool to meet the Killips and a lot of other people at the L.S. Festival! The people who hosted it were very hospitable and very caring!

i could not believe the cool things that some of you made at that Sewing Retreat; it was really impressive stuff! Really very nice! :up:

Despite the very high winds, people did a great job at flying! It was very impressive indeed! :mrblue:

Mother's Day is coming up! i think that, for Mother's Day, i'll give my Mother-in-law something uplifting for Mother's Day. In other words, i think that i'll give her my one and only quad kite!... since i like it and her about on equal terms. :wink: (Tee-hee!)
Tom P.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, May 06 2007, 10:28 PM

Yes, what a great guy! He was patching another kite when you got me over there to meet him!

Drachenschwanz introduced me to Al from Peoria on Saturday. He is a gentle, big hearted, low tech kite builder, that has some great techinics and original designs that manage to do well in choppy midwest winds! I now have a wonderful new kiter friend to aspire to be more like, a large handful of new kitebuilding techics, and a wild awesome jellyfish kite. It is favorite sort of kite besides being a gift it's simple, elegant, and orginal. It was a HUUUge delight to meet Al. He's such a wonderful man! Thank you for perservering in making introductions, Drachenschwanz!

The winds weren't as gruesome today as was forecasted. We probably had a good patch of wind, on Saturday, ironed good and flat by the kites, and headed for Iowa. Hope all you in Grinnell got to enjoy them! :-)

Flyers of the Dark Side beware! Rebel forces are gathering strength. :lol: There were a couple more dual lines in the air in Galesburg! 8) The quad guys may have to up the bribes on the proposed shirts to chocolate.

It was great to fly with everyone, and I hope to see some new faces here on the forum.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, May 06 2007, 11:13 PM

Ken and i, along with Rick, JJ, and Draftnik, spent a good amount of time in the hotel pool Saturday evening... and it was a blast!

Yes it was great to unwind in the pool after a good day of flying with everybody.

Have to get some sleep, Frodos Magic said he'd introduce me to the joys of Quad flying tomorrow.

Sorry about not getting your hands on the quad this afternn Drachenschwanz. We will have three days out in G.H. Mi.,if we can PRY your hands off of that new yin-yang kite that was won today. :wink: :wink: :twisted:
I sure wish I could have been able to call for reinforcements, for I was the ONLY quad flier on saturday. :shock: Today was better though, for JJ brought out his rev and flow with me for awhile. Thanks man. :up:

The girls that ran the show did a wonderful job, will surly consider going back again next year.

and yes my fish tank has grown some more and now have a snorkeler to fly above them too. It is truly amazing just how much the little one LOVE to walk through all of them. 8) "Look mommy, its NEMO". :mrgreen:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Mon, May 07 2007, 09:07 AM

I posted some pix from Lake Storey in my album. Didn't get them up yesterday 'cause I fell asleep at 10:00pm.

I usually do my best work between 10 and 12!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”