The Grandest Haven

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Re: The Grandest Haven

Postby Mike » Thu, May 17 2007, 06:09 AM

Saturday is the day with big crowds.

Friday has more space to fly and interact with the other fliers.
Friday evening has the indoor fly.

Ken, Tom and I won't be there until around 12:00 local time.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, May 18 2007, 01:42 AM

Just a note to all going to Grand Haven, Have a great time. I had to cancel at the last minute. I was so looking forward to being there. Everyone have one on me and give Chris the bill.

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, May 18 2007, 05:18 AM

Everyone have one on me and give Chris the bill.

......which Chris??? :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, May 19 2007, 12:00 AM

Home already, such a quick day. I really need to stay for at least 2 days next time!
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, May 19 2007, 11:12 AM

Looks from the webcam picture (which is aimed at the wrong place for seeing any kites :x ) that the winds are better today. I wish I could have been there for today.

I didn't take a lot of still pictures yesterday, but here are a few...

Jeff's banners

Sam Ritter flying a stack

Al wondering if the octopus will get any higher. (It didn't)

Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, May 21 2007, 08:58 PM

We're back but not grounded yet. We had a good time. It was fun to experience lake shore winds, and flying on a sandy beach. The kids couldn't resist the water and were soaked and freezing by late afternoon Saturday. They gotta little smarter about the parental suggestions to stay dry the next. ;-) We got to see lots of kite friends, saw new and interesting people and kites, and just tried to soak it all in (and stay warm!). We camped with Drachen and family, and Invis, along with a power kite club from MI. Kiteslayer enjoyed getting off field tours of their equiptment and watching them in the water at the festival. It was awesome to see and hear Invis' instruments. A group of us huddled round the fire Sunday night and shared some stories and laughs.

Oh, and Mike was awesome to watch as he flew with IQuad! And Al took his octopus for a walk, Jeffs banners were spectacular on the sand and water. Lee Sedwick flew a stack of revs for the candy drop and it was a kick to watch him work the crowd of little kids gathered under his kite.

There's quiet a few people and things we missed this weekend too that I wish we'd have seen. Ah well, it was a beautiful area, and we hope to get back someday.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, May 21 2007, 09:28 PM

i think that we were the first on the beach and the last on the beach (concerning the whole event)!

i had a blast at Grand Haven! It was a lot of pure flying fun... and so great to see the wonderful scenery and people! :mrblue:

i took some video of various really cool things, such as Mike flying in iQuad, Ken and Mike in the Mega-Fly, Lam Hoac indoors, iQuad indoors, Ken flying his quad over and in and out of water with huge waves (similar to the Prism dual-line E2 water video), Al's big kites along with a lot of other really colossal kites, and a lot of cool kites of varying shapes and colors! We'll get video out to people, by and by.

It was a lot of fun at the campfire Sunday night with the Drachen family, Ken, and Draftnik, JJ, and Kiteslayer. Ken and i saw five wild deer right near the campground! i was only attacked by rabid bats two times that night!

There were a lot of very interesting kites flying out there! The sky was full and it was a total blast! The Michigan scenery, with the thick woods, splendid houses with rustic terraces, wild deer and crazy/fanatic kiters... was just too cool!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, May 21 2007, 11:10 PM

Well once again another Grand Haven fest has come and gone. :( The sad face is for the fact that it has come to an end. Will be counting the days till next year starting ummm... NOW!! :twisted:
As always it was a blast hanging out with old friends and meeting and making new ones. :up:

This year was the best time to date, winds were good all three days. Thought they were a little stronger on saturday and sunday. Mike, Tom and I had stayed a extra day, coming home this afternoon. It was nice to be able to go back to the beach to fly some more with out all the crowds, but we were all a little surprised that there was no one else still around. Was like a ghost town. :shock:

Gomberg's (sp?) new surprise was a very large red crab, it was very kwel. From what I understand, it decided to take a little stroll down the beach like around fifty feet or so. :shock: I am sure the big kite guy will chime in with more details on that.

Mike did us all very proud with his flying, with I-Quad!!! :guns: :guns: They were really something to see, both indoor as well as out in the field!!!

Yes it was very nice sitting around the camp fire with Draftnik, JJ and the Drachen family on sunday.

But I would haver to say the HIGHEST MOMENT for me was becoming an alternate for I-Quad along with Nathan, with our fantastic flying in the mega flies!!! :guns: :guns: Yes they did two of them, in the first one there were 8 kites. In the second fly there were 10 kites!!!!! Which by the way was used to close out the fest with!! WAY TOO KWEL!!!!!!!!!

I took a bunch of pictures, but have not had a chance to scan through them yet. Will in a day or two. :wink: :mrgreen:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 22 2007, 07:13 AM

Grand Haven was a great time. Great winds every day and lots of great kites and kite fliers.

Tom took lots of video and sent me home with a random file with a .mod extension. Turns out I can view those, and it also turned out to be a bit of iQuad.
Tom will send me the rest of the files and I'll post them eventually. But meanwhile, here's a bit of iQuad without sound.

I'm easy to spot in the bit of video. I'm the guy who has a slight lag before they all turn left shortly after the start. They also changed the Pez routine so I'm the one who starts doing it the old way for a second before catching on. I'm good in the rest of it though :-)

They had a microphone/headset system figured out which was fantastic--when it worked!
It was chilly so I had my hood on over my head and the headset over the hood. When it stopped working in the middle of the routine, it made it pretty hard to hear John yelling, since music was loud and I had my hood over my head and a malfunctioning headset stuck in one ear! The guy next to me would repeat what was John was yelling, kind of like playing "telephone". Pretty funny, really.

Flying with iQuad was fun. We gotta get our own team going!

[googlevideo]5793762993765607592[/googlevideo]

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 22 2007, 08:12 AM

Here's a few more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 22 2007, 08:17 AM

three more:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 22 2007, 08:23 AM

last one.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, May 22 2007, 08:56 AM

Slowly recovering from GH, packing tonight for Wildwood. Tomorrow night is a meeting for Dekalb, Thursday I fly to the East Coast.
Sixth weekend in a row, getting tired. Two more after Wildwood before I get a weekend off.

I have a very few pictures of GH as something went wrong with one of my cameras :( I will have to look at what little I have after
I get back from WW.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, May 22 2007, 09:19 AM

That's your caution sign Isaac's got on his back, Mike? :lol:

Al, we appreciate all you're doing. I never see you without a grin on the kite field, there must be something you enjoy about it. :wink:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 22 2007, 10:03 AM

yup, that's my sign.
And you're right, Al always does seem pretty happy on the kite field. :-D

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, May 22 2007, 09:56 PM

Mike wrote:yup, that's my sign.
And you're right, Al always does seem pretty happy on the kite field. :-D

You are both right, I usually do enjoy it, however there are days when I wonder. It is ten at night, I just finished packing kites for Wildwood (two bags, one 48 pounds, one 49) and I am getting ready to start packing clothing. Once I get there, I will be fine, now I am tired. I can't seem to get caught up on sleep, it must be stress from work.
Alan Sparling

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, May 23 2007, 12:05 AM

Well I just finished uploading my photos of the fest in the album. They are under Kite festivals, sub category Grand Haven 07. Have a look and please feel free to load up any that were taken by others. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 23 2007, 06:41 AM

good photos Ken.
The photos titled iQuad warming up have Lam Hoac flying with us. He's flying the blue kite with the 3 skinny vents on each side.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 23 2007, 12:17 PM

Al and the Gombergs and few other folks dragged Al's octopus out on to the demo field. They sat on the lines and anchored it while iQuad flew around it to the tune of Octopus's Garden.
[albumimg]941[/albumimg]

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, May 23 2007, 11:11 PM

I have an 11 min, 22 sec video of the first Rev megafly (308MB), little camera, not great quality, but may be of interest. I will make CDs for those interested.
Last edited by TheBigKiteGuy on Thu, May 24 2007, 12:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Sparling

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”