The Grandest Haven

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Knoted4ever

The Grandest Haven

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 09:28 PM

Anyone interested in car-pooling to Grand Haven, please let me know. i'll drive, (and the other
car-pooler(s) can drive next year)... if they have it next year. :wink:

Also sharing and splitting on the costs of a hotel room possibly. What kinds of places are available? i'm not famous enough to get my room paid for, meals paid for, etc. :( But there's always tomorrow! :mrblue:

i could leave early Friday morning, and go back Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Re: The Grandest Haven

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:57 PM

I will be driving out Thursday night, but as Babbman can testify, I don't travel light. I will be full up with more stuff than I had in Oswego, so I won't be able to car pool. Before I got a room from Steve, (I am lucky enough to share a beach house across the street with Lee Sedgwick, Sam and Ann Ritter, and David and Susan Gomberg), I would often stay just up the road in Muskegon. This was usually because I would put off getting a room until too late, but it is a short drive and a bigger town.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 07:22 AM

Hiya Tom,
I don't know my exact plans yet, but I may be up for driving and sharing a room.
I'm definitely going, I just don't know when I'll be traveling yet.
I've got a mini van and I could pick up you and Ken since you're both along the way.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 09:05 PM

Definitely keep me in mind, Mike! i'd definitely chip in on gas, etc. i'm flexible with my time schedule concerning it... and could go earlier or later (preferably earlier, but it doesn't matter much). i don't think night driving is the most prudent thing, though it would be OK with me; i lived in Michigan at one time... and the deer, badgers, and other critters would pop out like mad after dark!

When a bunch of us guys would go fossil hunting, which i used to do a lot in the past, we'd all get a big room and a lot of us would even sleep on the floor in sleeping bags. i'm not averse to doing that. Maybe i'm a bit tight, but i'd rather spend the money on a kite rather than being high-class! :wink:

i stopped out at the field in Dwight after work, for an hour today. Winds were quite high and choppy; i flew my Deepspace, and was doing fades, backspins, wild insanes, and other cool stuff with it. i thought, if i go to Grand Haven with this baby, and the winds are high, it's going to be 8) ! i'm perfecting a way to do fades in high winds... and it's working pretty good!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Mar 21 2007, 01:36 AM

Sounding good Mike, I will have off both that friday and the following monday, so any time would be fine with me too. :mrgreen: If we want to split a room 3-way, I would be willing to grab the floor with a sleeping bag. Only 2 months to go. I cannot wait!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Mar 21 2007, 08:50 PM

Two months to go :!: :mrblue: :LogoRevAni: i wouldn't mind being in a sleeping bag... it's the Spartan blood in me!
Tom P.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Mar 22 2007, 08:22 AM

Just found out we're going to Grand Haven too!!! Yippeee!
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:22 AM

That's great Draftnik. We will make quite a splash in our Red T-Shirts!

Ken and Tom: I re-booked my room and we now have a non-smoking room at Grand Haven Best Western Inn with 2 double beds for Fri, Sat and Sun night.
I normally leave the beach on Sunday afternoon, but this way we can fly some on Monday before heading home as well as avoid the night-time deer hazard. With tax, it will probably work out to about $72 per person. I'm too wimpy to sleep on the floor, so thanks guys for offering to deal with the sleeping bag. I do have a nice inflatable air mattress and pump I can bring for the guy on the floor.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:28 PM

Super! Sounds great Mike! :up: i'm really looking forward to flying there!... and IKE will have a tent! :up:
Send me your address in an email and i can send the $ to you.
Tom P.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 01:19 AM

Sounds great Mike. :up: If you need the $ before we go, let me know.

Draftnik that is just super that you guys are going to make it too!!!!! :mrblue: If you have not been there before, its shaping to look like this year IS going to be the best time yet!!

:bash: :bash: I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!! :SLKani: :bash: :bash:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 07:41 AM

We can settle the $ in Grand Haven.
I'm the only guy with a car and you guys don't know how early I like to hit the beach :twisted:

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 07:11 PM

Mike wrote:We can settle the $ in Grand Haven.
I'm the only guy with a car and you guys don't know how early I like to hit the beach :twisted:

i was there early, last year in Grand Haven, and don't remember seeing you there early. :roll: i met TeeCee and his wonderful father there, for instance, and we had a nice talk, before the winds woke for the day.
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 07:16 PM

You were probably over by the campground, I was over by the tent?
Anyway, glad you like to get there early too.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 08:22 PM

Red T- Shirts...!
Grandest of Heaven...?
Kite festivals.... :shock:
Everybody getting toghether... :clubfly:

And just to think that I am only 2000 plus miles away from you???

I'm gonna have to do someting about it... :roll:

SOMETIME...SOON...

Now it's me getting jelous... Hmmm...sometime... :| I wish...yeah...maybe sometime...???
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 09:25 PM

Gee and I always thought that Lee Sedgwick was one of the first ones there. Although he was definitely later last year. I was actually starting to wake up when I heard him leave. We do have an advantage being right across the street.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 09:36 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:Red T- Shirts...!
Grandest of Heaven...?
Kite festivals.... :shock:
Everybody getting toghether... :clubfly:

And just to think that I am only 2000 plus miles away from you???

I'm gonna have to do someting about it... :roll:

SOMETIME...SOON...

Now it's me getting jelous... Hmmm...sometime... :| I wish...yeah...maybe sometime...???

You'll need a shirt if you ever make it out here Hector. What size do you wear?

Invis

Postby Invis » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 10:47 PM

I'm clearing my calander. Who's got room for me or where can I stick a tent?

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 02:16 AM

Hi Invis,

As I have stated before, if you want to set up camp, check this place out...
http://www.campersparadiseinc.com/

The wife and I stayed there last year, not to bad a place, cheap and down the street from the Best Western. :wink: :wink: You can forget about the beach campgrnd.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 04:38 PM

i'm glad that Draftnik, KiteSlayer, JJ, Invis, and Al are also planning about going! i bet that it'll be a blast!

i just ordered a new digital video camcorder, and i'll definitely bring it to GH. Please continue to practice with your flying skills... the editing software can only do so much! :wink:
Tom P.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Mar 25 2007, 05:42 PM

There's the site Ken recommended.

PJ Hoffmaster (or Hoffmeyer?) was highly recommended too. It's a state park outside of town, but dunes and beach are part of it I believe.
Last edited by Draftnik on Sun, Mar 25 2007, 07:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”