Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Frodos Majik

Re: Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 10:23 PM

Sorry but Me and the misses will be on our way to Virgina that weekend. :twisted: :P
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 09:58 PM

A couple of excellent dual line fliers, that i know, will most assuredly be going to Mots instead, as will many others. i'm not at all pleased with this date... and would much prefer it to be held in the spring, (even next spring).
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, Jun 07 2007, 01:06 PM

Hello All

After further adue the date for Pontiac has been set for Aug 25th and 26th 2007
we hope you all can make this date and we can make this one grow.
Rooms are available at these hotels.
Comfort Inn - 815-842-2777; rooms @ 79.99 + tax (King or 2 queen) will hold them until Agust 1st.
Holiday Inn - 815-844-4444;@ 84.95 + tax will hold them until August 7th.
Super 8 - 815-844-6888; 59.99 + tax single or double will hold them until Aug. 1st.
Fiesta - 815-844-7103; the rate is $44.40 + tax double occupancy

:thanks: :up: :LogoRevAni:
www.chicagokite.com

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Sun, Jun 10 2007, 03:23 AM

chicagokite wrote:Hello All

After further adue the date for Pontiac has been set for Aug 25th and 26th 2007
we hope you all can make this date and we can make this one grow.

:thanks: :up: :LogoRevAni:
www.chicagokite.com

Major bummer, the September date would've worked out great (for me) & I had fully intended on heading down to the Pontiac event to help support it. However, this new date now makes it impossible for me to go :cry:

get high on kites,

Jeff Hale
:LogoRevAni:

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Jun 11 2007, 09:47 AM

Jeff

Sorry to here that Both dates would have worked for us but some people had a conflict! :oops: maybe next time

See you At :up: :up: :thanks: :LogoRevAni: perry farms

www.chicagokite.com

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Mon, Jun 11 2007, 05:07 PM

>> ....maybe next time

www.chicagokite.com[/quote]

Probably not actually, as my work schedule / work weekends stay pretty much the same from year to year. And what little vacation time I have is already overtaxed by kiting events (100%). Right now I couldn't add another festival...one which happens to fall on a work weekend...to my schedule even if I wanted too.

Jeff

:LogoRevAni:

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Jun 12 2007, 09:39 PM

Sorry that you can't make this one, Jeff.

This is one sweet field! Out in the open... with no crap around like homes or big trees! There's flat farm fields all around without any obstructions whatsoever! :up:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

akillip

Postby akillip » Thu, Jun 14 2007, 07:50 PM

So with a set date, just exactly where is the flying field?

Tony

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 14 2007, 08:47 PM

I thought we had a map somewhere but I can't find it.
Pontiac is a small town, but Tom, can you give us exact directions to the flying field?

Tony, it would be great if you came and flew some of your big kites, especially that huge windsock!
You should know that Chicago Kite is already signed up to be the sole vendor at this festival.
I hope that wont keep you from coming and flying with us though.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Jun 14 2007, 10:30 PM

i had posted a map and directions in our Flying Fields section. i just now also added it to our Festival section...

Go to: http://maps.live.com/#

Sign in as: ikeclub@passport.com
use password of: quaddualslk

Then... Click on "Collections"; then click on "Open"; then click on "Kite Festivals"; then go to Number "10" and click on "Pontiac Rec-Plex". :up:
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 15 2007, 07:39 AM

Or just click here.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Jun 15 2007, 08:29 AM

Wow! That's pretty close to the airport?!
TTFN,
Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Jun 15 2007, 06:18 PM

The whole place is what once was the official Pontiac Municipal Airport. There is no airport there any more... unless you prefer to fly plane-shaped kites, of course! :captain:

Mike, i tried to do a simple link... and it didn't work well. :thanks:
Tom P.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Jun 22 2007, 01:29 PM

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 19 2007, 05:03 PM

The 1st Pontiac Kite Festival is this weekend.
It would be really great if everyone came out to help kick off this festival.

It would be fun to have a Rok battle, so bring a Rok if you have one. The Roks should be 5 or 6 feet tall, though we wont be fussy.
I have a few Roks to lend out so you can still join in if you don't own one. You need gloves to play. Really. You will cut your hands on the string otherwise. I have some cheap gardening gloves too loan out too, but you might want to bring your own if you've got 'em.

Here's a bit of video from the local news station from a festival a couple years ago. The weatherman was in a Rok battle against a couple weathermen from other stations, and he's bragging about it on air.
Also known as a Flite Kying contest, I'm the guy in the red shirt and the other guy isn't my brother and his name isn't Steve. :-D He's a buddy I pulled out there to give me hand. Rose helped the NPR weather guy fly his kite.

[googlevideo]7649589622661062159[/googlevideo]

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Aug 26 2007, 12:09 PM

Pontiac was a great time! Missed everyone who couldn't make it, hope to see you there next year.

The weather started out wet and nasty, but cleared to a beautiful day :mrgreen:

Met a lot of new faces, and worked with some great folks from the city of Pontiac. :thanks:

See pics here... http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/album_cat.php?cat_id=69
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 26 2007, 09:16 PM

It sure was a good time. Thanks for photos Chris.
How about some random thoughts:

That building in the photo is a prison. The guards could watch us from their sniper towers. A couple of guards came over and bought kites and had fun with us.

The Pontiac folks enjoyed the festival and the Mayor turns out to be a natural on a Rev! Really! After short lesson he was even good enough to fly my stack.

A big thank you to Paul, he printed up the hilarious signs (photo by Chris):
[albumimg]1091[/albumimg]

He also brought a ton of little boxes of Mike and IKE candies to hand out to the kids. They were a hit, and we have some left for DeKalb.
Paul also brought some excellent boundary markers, those lines of flags like you see at a car dealers. They work better than caution tape we normally see used. I only had one pair of kids cross the line the whole weekend.
A tip of the IKE hat to Paul! (Actually, Paul is the only one with an IKE hat)

Al and Bob and Shawn (sp?) and Mike put up a good show with the big kites. I like Bob's new octopus.
Al even managed to get the barrel up a couple times today even though there was only enough wind for a couple brief periods.
Al must have had everything ready to go and just jumped on it when the winded popped up. That thing is sooo huge when you get right up to it.

Zach and Josh put on several demos both days. Even today when there was almost no wind. Those guys just amaze me every time I see them fly. And their pairs routine is just awesome.

It was also a blast to goof around with Zach and mess with folks and cars (check out one of Chris' photos that he posted).
Ann did a fantastic job announcing and keeping the commentary going. She's just such a tremendous asset to have at a fest.

Ken's new spikey ball looked great though he's talking about tweaking it a bit to make it better.

Ken, Zach, Chris, Babbman, myself and Nick flew some team stuff that began to look pretty good after a while. Nick is looking really good, especially given the few hours he's had on a Rev.

We did a few Rok battles on Saturday. I don't' remember who won the most matches (Ken?) but I know the duo of Nick and Bean were a formidable team and that they won at least one match. Too bad conditions weren't conducive for another match today, Bean said they had a new strategy.

Pontiac wants to do this again and the Mayor is going to use photos from today to help promote the town of Pontiac. Next year I bet we'll have an bigger turn out of IKE folks as well as the public!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Aug 26 2007, 09:22 PM

Pontiac was a lot of fun! Saturday was best, with very nice winds... but Sunday wasn't totally bad, and was a good challenge for some of us. It was unfortunate that Sunday didn't allow as many big SL kites to fly, due to the lower wind conditions. We were able to get the Mega Barrel Kite out though, and that was a lot of fun! :mrblue:

i really think that Pontiac has great potential! i really like the spot... a lot of open terrain without a lot of trees, houses, electrical wires, quicksand and such. :wink:

It was so cool to see Pontiac's mayor flying quad so expertly today!... even in the rather crappy wind conditions of 1 and 2 mph winds! He's got my vote! :up:

People were very hospitable there and it was a joy to fly there! My uncle Lefty especially enjoyed the kite routines... though his view from the prison bars was a bit compromised. Anyway, it was a very great time! Kite folks tend to be a very cool, classy bunch of people, who are appreciative of a superb, new-found sport!
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 26 2007, 09:38 PM

Tom was one of the guys who could fly in the almost no-wind conditions today. And look good doing it!
He didn't mention that Marla, his wife, came to visit. She told me that she took a walk over to the prison and reserved a room for Tom. :twisted:

Ann

Postby Ann » Sun, Aug 26 2007, 09:57 PM

We had a great time this weekend. The wind could have been better, but we all had fun nonetheless.

The spectators were treated to some great quad team flying as well as some good-natured "taunting"!

The big kites on Saturday and Sunday morning really brought the spectators out. And Al's barrel was a fabulous sight to see! It's very cool that there were so many "big kite flyers" at the festival this weekend.

Thanks to word of mouth, a new vendor came to the festival Sunday morning based on all the good reviews from Saturday!

Scott, the mayor of Pontiac and Ellie from the Department of Tourism were thrilled with the event and are already talking about booking a date for next year! Now that's something!

Zach and Josh really enjoyed flying their demos and appreciated all the support from IKE as well as from the spectators and the folks from the city.

Elizabeth was happy to have some good time on Mike's Rev; thanks Mike! She says Zach is a good teacher, but sometimes it's nice to have someone who's not her brother teaching her!

Thanks for the pictures Chris! They are really fun.

All in all, just great! It was nice getting to know all of you a bit better and we look forward to many more events and especially next year in Pontiac!

Ann

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”