Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
TheBigKiteGuy

Re: Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 08:55 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:
Talked more with Dave about things. They're happy about the more than reasonable AKA insurance. There's an excellent chance that May 12th and 13th will have good chance at being open for it; i'll find out more tomorrow.

Dave confirms that it is an extremely large area (over 3 football fields) of cut grass with no trees around at all... just flat farm fields surrounding it!

It will be early in the string of festivals for me, so I expect that I will be able to come down on Sunday. So. three football fields, where is everyone else planning to fly? :twisted: Seriously, how much I put up will depend on how much help I can round up, particularly for the end of the day.
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 09:04 PM

8) It would be great if you could make it, Al! i've got all of your suggestions written down for them (which we will carefully go over). i imagine that there will a good number of us who can help you. i'm sure that Dave and i could, some of the IKE members may hang around... and i'm sure that we can get additional help. i hope it works out for the 12th and 13th. i also plan on suggesting some compensation for you regarding gas and stuff like that; we'll see.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 03:17 PM

If the event comes together as a two day event, what motels, resturants are in the area?

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 08:48 PM

akillip wrote:If the event comes together as a two day event, what motels, restaurants are in the area?

There's a lot of cool restaurants in the area. i'll try to get more details on that as we go further along. i took a couple of post-grad classes in the area at one time... we kept on perpetually going to the same place for lunch every lunch break (i.e., The Pontiac Buffet; a Chinese Restaurant that has a lot of regular stuff too). If you travel on Rte. 116 through the main drag in Pontiac, going east, when 116 turns north (to eventually turn east again), a little ways right after it turns north (on what is also Old Rte. 66) you'll see the Pontiac Buffet to your left. Lots of good stuff inside that place! :mrblue:

i plan to ask if maybe we can get hotel discounts for AKA members; we'll see what they say. They may be able to do only so much... but who knows! :wink:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Mar 21 2007, 09:14 PM

Well, Ellie and Dave took me out to the Rec-Plex field after work today. It is a superb, excellent spot for a kite festival! :mrblue: i was very impressed! When we first drove in through the front gate area, i thought "Wow, this is very nice indeed!" However, it wasn't until after we started walking through it that i began to realize just how big it is! From the front gate and drive spot it looks huge, but it is even a lot more vast and expansive once one walks on the apex of where it is actually situated; there was plenty of room here; enough for the public, sport kites, and the jumbo kites.

We spent a long time going over details and possibilities. The date may well be set for May 12th and 13th (which is tentative). i might find out tomorrow on what is decided on (calendar-wise) for sure.

This place is surrounded by extensive farm fields, yet is not far out of town at all. No large trees (except for a few small ones in one little spot)... otherwise just acres and acres of mowed grass. Very Sweet! :mrviolet: It's the kind of field that puts a mammoth smile on a kite fliers face!

Dave and Ellie seem quite excited about the prospect of a kite festival in their town. The town is very quaint, comfortable, and classy!

Ellie, may be related to George Pocock, a kite traction pioneer who, in the early 19th Century, lifted heavy things, including his own daughter, with kites and with kites in tandem! He also developed wagons that were pulled with kites, called Charvolants (from the French "char" for carriage attached to "volant" from the French term for kite: "cerf-volant"). In 1827, during a demonstration for King George IV, Pocock's Charvolant was able to journey from Bristol to Marlborough easily overtaking the London mail coach following a similar route. Later, he took a 113 mile trip across the British countryside to attempt to demonstrate the reliability of the vehicle as a means of travel. Isn't that a hoot!
Tom P.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Mar 21 2007, 09:40 PM

Please ask about sprinkler systems and if they can be marked. I don't want to create a fountain with a big spike. From your description it is likely that they have an irrigation system. If they mark where the heads are, I can draw lines between them and avoid the pipes.
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:56 PM

Ellie will be calling you, Al, about the Big Kites. Size really does matter! i don't think that there is a sprinkler system there, but i may be wrong; i'll check into it.

It looks like it is for May 12th and 13th for sure. :up: i marked it in our Maps section, in the kite field section; i'll put it in the Festival section in a while. It, at one time, was the Pontiac Municipal Airport... so, like i said, it's no itsy bitsy tinie weenie thing. Size really does matter!

More later...
Tom P.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 07:31 AM

She left a message on my machine yesterday, I will be calling her back today.
Alan Sparling

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:11 AM

hi all

Just spoke with Pontiac. Sounds like a great place to fly chicago kite will
be working closely with them to make the fest a success. there are going to be some other days
looked at for this event later in may or in the fall.
:thanks:

www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 04:56 PM

I have a question:
If the festival is on Mother's Day, would you, a member of IKE, come.
I'm not looking for predictions of whether or not other people would come, just if you would come or not.
thanks.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 05:18 PM

Sounds like a perfect Mothers Day to me.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 06:59 PM

Here's a little possible insight regarding this:

At work, i had mentioned the possibility of us having the Pontiac festival on May 12th and 13th. Three separate families (mom with kids in each), and a childless couple also, planned on coming mostly on the 13th... not so much on the 12th. When i told them, today, that the dates may be changed due to apprehension about it taking place on Mother's Day... they were disappointed.
Tom P.

akillip

Postby akillip » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 08:31 PM

We certinly don't have a problem with Mothers Day. We've been to other events on mothers day before and turns outs were always good.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Mar 23 2007, 09:13 PM

When I called at lunch, it seemed the decision not to have the festival on Mother's day had been made :(
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Mar 24 2007, 02:45 PM

i hope that Mother's Day weekend is still a possibility. Another important factor, that people may not be considering, is that Grand Haven (Michigan) is the following week; it starts Friday and many people get there early on Thursday or even earlier. Many are retired people, that come in campers, huge RVs, and such... and many are avid kite fliers. Those that come from the south, like from Texas, California, and such, may well stop at a kite festival in the area on the previous or following weekend... if they like kiting better than bird-watching! There are caravans of such people at Grand Haven.
Tom P.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 11:04 AM

hello

well the date has been set for sept 8-9th hopefully we can make a go of this and have a great fest.
there will be rooms blocked off at a discount for people who want to stay for two days.
:thanks:

akillip

Postby akillip » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 06:14 PM

That date works for us, and we will have a big Peter Lynn octopus by then as well.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 06:39 PM

The big octopus will be great! That really makes a kite festival.

I have a conflict with the Mots festival so I don't know yet if I will be there. It's one of our larger Midwest festivals, and it's been around for 30 years.
Mots is also a great time to meet with our northern Chicago and Wisconsin members. It's too bad the club wasn't consulted before deciding on the date,
so we wouldn't have to choose between them.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 07:39 PM

I'll prbably be there, the local fests are a little easier for me, seeing as I need a babysitter for the ones I don't bring Maddy to. My wife usually works weekends :(
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 03 2007, 07:46 PM

The distances aren't actually that different, Milwaukee is probably only 30 minutes further away than Pontiac.
But it will be good to have your kites at Pontiac.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”