Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Knoted4ever

Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 08:48 PM

i was eating lunch with a fellow co-worker, a psychologist at our center, (he's also a vegetarian... we won't eat anything that flies well)... and he mentioned something about needing to fly the nice kite that he had won as a prize last summer at the little Kite Fest that we had for the handicapped kids at the center. i explained about our IKE club to him, but he did not seem very interested. i was asking him about the fields around where he lives... and then it dawned on me... his wife works for the Pontiac Department of Parks and Recreation. i asked him if there was a large park in the area (without trees or houses around it)... and he said that there was: Sport Park. He said we could fly kites there any time. i then asked him if his wife would be interested in setting up a kite festival in Pontiac. His eyes lit up and he said that she would be very keen on doing that! He said that they had organized Hot Air Balloon Fests there in the past and that they were a big success!

i told him that we could perhaps plan something for a two day weekend; and he was very interested; he'll have his wife contact me soon. He asked what kind of time we would need before the event to plan everything and to be sure on a date and such... and asked if it would be around 6 weeks or so. i thought that that would be needed, at least. His wife works full time for the Department of P & R and i'm sure that she could do a lot of the arrangement stuff and such... including notifying the local papers and posting stuff and all that.

If a number of us showed up and if Chicago Kite could come... that would be pretty darn impressive enough, i would think. Maybe we could come up with some viable dates (it would be neat if Al could make it) and such... but initially let me get with his wife and see what transpires; and i'll have to drive over and see what the site looks like. i know that she is always looking for new things like festival ideas/events and community get-together things for the town.... so this may be cool!

i couldn't find Pontiac Sport Park on any Google map or site; but i did see that they had the Hot air Balloon Fests at a Rec-Plex area at one time.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Chris

Re: Pontiac Kite Festival Perchance

Postby Chris » Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:23 PM

Sweet, Tom!! :up: :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

akillip

Postby akillip » Wed, Mar 14 2007, 08:15 PM

Pontiac Michigan or Illinois?

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 06:54 PM

Dave, the psychologist, said that his wife (who works for the Pontiac, Illinois Dept. of Parks and Recreation) is very excited about the possibility of doing a kite festival in Pontiac. They are going to meet me at a restaurant in Pontiac next Wednesday, after work, about it. Dave seems to think that it's an ideal place to have a Kite Festival! i guess something like 5,000 people showed up to the spot for the Hot Air Balloon event!

i was wondering about the possibility of getting this event covered with AKA insurance. Are we now a totally sanctioned AKA Club that can put in a request for insurance coverage for a festival? i read something in the Fall '06 AKA magazine about a $75 fee for festival coverage. Is that a possibility? AKA's write-up on AKA Event Sanctioning strongly recommended that events have participants sign a waiver and a release of liability. However, i've not experienced the need to do that kind of thing at past events. Is this over-paranoia... or what?

Would Chicago Kite possibly be willing to come to the event and help with things? Kites for sale on the site would be great.

i wonder if Al would be able to make it if it were held at a time that he had open? i wonder what his requirements are?

i think that, if we had such a festival, music would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions on that?

i think that a lot of people could be informed about the event through newspapers, the internet, fliers distributed at schools, via radio stations, etc. Dave's wife, Elli, would take care of a lot of it.

i was wondering if a weekend in June, for instance, would be a good time?

Dave said that "Sport Park is the same site as Rec-Plex... and it is owned by the city of Pontiac for public usage."

i know that one of their chief concerns, from what Dave, the psychologist, mentioned... is whether we would be able to get enough experienced kite fliers out to the event (to enable it to be exciting to the public). i told Dave about our January Fly... and how we practically had a Kite Festival right then and there! (i thought we looked pretty cool, anyway)! :wink:

i'd be appreciative of any suggestions or comments regarding any of this.
Last edited by Knoted4ever on Tue, Mar 27 2007, 06:55 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 08:13 PM

Information on AKA sanctioning can be found here:
http://aka.kite.org/?sanction.shtml

Draftnik is an expert in this area. I'll let her give you guidance here.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 08:51 PM

First, if the club fly sanctioning / insurance is not done, let me know asap. I may not be on the board any more, but I still know a few people who can make things happen.

Second, what do I want to do an event?

First space. The kites are big and potentially dangerous, they need space. They also need to stay away from fences, goalposts, tree, bushs and other obstructions that could gut a $4,000 kite.

Rope off the big kites field, nobody believes that kites can be dangerous. I have had people place their children in danger for a photo op and then get mad when I made them move. Roping off a field does not stop all of them, but if helps.

I need to be able to get the gear out to the field without hand carrying it. That can be by me driving my truck out there, a park gator, or local Sherpas. I am leery about Sherpas being there at the end of the day.

Help at the end of the day to get the kites down and packed.

If it is a two day event a hotel room.

Gas money is nice. The hotel and gas money is how I manage to do so many festivals. Otherwise, I could do the festival or buy the kites. Not both.

June 16/17 is the only June weekend I have open.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 09:12 PM

I'm rusty on this and need to dig into it again too. From what I remember, an AKA member has be signed in on the insurance forms (not sure if a club can do this), safety officers listed, it's recommended to get kiters sigs, the AKA gets listed as a event sponsor, and airports notified of what's flying and when. It can get a little mind boggling, but you're event cooridnator is likely to be experineced with similar programs. Our experience was that people were impressed with the AKA requirements, and it's throughness. It's not to difficult to get done. AKA brings an offical element to the festival that's worth the effort.

The club can support you with whatevers needed. The Park Dist, may want to be an AKA member, if this is something they plan to do agian.

HTH
TTFN,
Draftnik

akillip

Postby akillip » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 08:07 PM

If you are still thinking of a June event, June 30th is the only weekend I've got free at present time. I could also do kites sales as well.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 09:45 PM

thanks for the offer akillip, but we'd have to give first crack at kite sales to our sponsor, Chicago Kite.

But June 30th does look free so far in the IKE festival calendar.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 10:21 PM

i called Mel at the AKA in the state of Washington... and he informed me that we will be able to get insurance for the event (for something like $75, which covers both days). He is familiar with IKE and Mike Kory... so that is very cool! Mel was very nice to talk to about the potential festival.

i'll present Al's stipulations/suggestions to the Pontiac people; i think that they will be accommodating with all of his wishes; they better be :!:

Some of the other educators in my department at work have been, i found out today, to the Pontiac Hot Air Balloon Festivals in the past. Well, i asked them about the size of the place and whether they thought it would be enough room for lots and lots of kites. The said that the place was super huge... and that it consisted of acres and acres! :mrblue: :up: This is supposed to be a treeless area... that is flat and expansive... i might begin losing some sleep over this one and may need a doctor :doc: !

Thanks much for the suggestions, Draftnik. i'm writing things down to present to the Pontiac folks.
Tom P.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Mar 16 2007, 10:45 PM

I will probably be in New York on June 30/July 1. 90%+ at this time.

As I said in my earlier post, my only open weekend in June is the 16th/17th
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 17 2007, 07:49 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:As I said in my earlier post, my only open weekend in June is the 16th/17th

Al, you wont be going to Perry Farms this year?

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Mar 17 2007, 09:24 AM

I don't know what I am doing this year, my schedule got nasty so fast that I was trying to hold one weekend open to rest.

April 21, 2007 Oswego Earth Day Kite Fly Oswego, Illinois
May 5 - 6, 2007 Mayor Daley's Kids and Kites (Tentative) Chicago, IL
May 12, 2007 Cub Scout Kite Derby Aurora, IL
May 18 - 20, 2007 Great Lakes Kite Festival Grand Haven, MI
May 25 - 28, 2007 Wildwood International Kite Fest Wildwood, NJ
June 2 - 3, 2007 Naperville Kite Fest Naperville, IL
June 9 - 10, 2007 Jamestown Kite Fest Jamestown, ND
June 23 - 24, 2007 Lincoln City Summer Kite Festival Lincoln City, OR
June 30, 2007 International Kite Festival The Rockaways, NY
July 4, 2007 Lisle Eyes to the Sky Balloon Fest (Tentative)

It is nice to be popular, but it is nice to let the aches and pains heal too.
Alan Sparling

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:14 AM

i didn't start looking at scheduled kite fests and calanders for what would be good dates yet... but i just now looked at the 2007 list posted here at IKE and see that Perry Farm is scheduled for the 16th and 17th of June. i sure would not like to set up anything on the same day as Perry Farm's Festival. It's too bad about Al not having anything else available in May or June! Rats!

It seems like there are so many kite fests going on that it may be very problematic with setting up a good time in May or June! Any suggestions? Maybe something in September or whatever would be better!? What about July?... would that be feasible?... i wonder about dead-wind days being more possible in July; but maybe it would be OK...?

Mel, from the AKA, had mentioned that Pontiac, Illinois is where the AKA magazine is printed! Isn't that a hoot! :mrblue:
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 10:05 AM

Looking at Weather Underground, I chose July 14 at random at looked at the wind for that day in Pontiac for the past few years:

Year: Wind Speed / Max Wind Speed in mph
2006: 2 / 8
2005: 5 / 10
2004: 2 / 7
2003: 9 / 22
2002: 0 / 8

So July does seem iffy. Especially for SLKs.

Other possible dates:
April 7th--same day as Sycamore, but we don't know anything about that festival anyway. Good wind in April, possible low temperatures. Also short notice to get a festival up and going.

May 12-13th--Mother's Day fly? Nothing scheduled, usually good wind and temps in May.

June 9-10-- Also good for weather and temps, but I personally can't make it this weekend. :(

June 30--pretty good shot at good winds and decent temps.

I like May 12th as far as wind and temperature and no conflicts with other festivals.
Al can't make the 12th. If he isn't too tired, he might be able to do May 13th--Mother's Day.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:26 PM

Thanks so much, Mike; you are awesome! :up:

i also, last night, did some searches for past weather/wind conditions in our area for the month of July; it looked rather bleak!

i'll try to push for the 12th and 13th of May. i hope that they do not have anything scheduled for that time in Pontiac. When i go to meet with the Dave and his wife on Wednesday, and look at the field... if it's somehow inappropriate for a kite fest, you can do a new quad line trick called Strangulation of Mr. Dualy. :shock:
Tom P.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 05:37 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:if it's somehow inappropriate for a kite fest, you can do a new quad line trick called Strangulation of Mr. Dualy. :shock:

Nah, you're the only one that has done any real work on this.
Besides, we'd just make you fly only quads for a month. :-D

akillip

Postby akillip » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 07:53 PM

Mothers Day wekend is good for me.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 18 2007, 08:26 PM

Good to hear, it will be nice to meet you in person.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 08:45 PM

Mike wrote:

Besides, we'd just make you fly only quads for a month. :-D

Strangulation or flying only quads for a month... i'll have to take time to think that one over!

Talked more with Dave about things. They're happy about the more than reasonable AKA insurance. There's an excellent chance that May 12th and 13th will be available for usage for it; i'll find out more tomorrow. They were a little concerned about it being Mother's Day... but i think that it can even be a plus depending on how we word the news about it (i.e.,"Bring Mom out for some beautiful outdoor entertainment"! ) There's toileting facilities at the site. Dave confirms that it is an extremely large area (over 3 football fields) of cut grass with no trees around at all... just flat farm fields surrounding it! And i believe that Dave said, previously, that it would be available to us all for our monthly Fly sessions if we cared to use it for that.

i wrote a lot of things to suggest to them when we meet on Wednesday; i have lots of notes!

How about dualies for you guys (exclusively) for 2 and 1/2 years! :mrblue:
Tom P.

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”