List of Spring and Summer festivals for 2007

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Babbman

Re: List of Spring and Summer festivals for 2007

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:02 AM

Mike wrote:Sounds like it might be pretty small. Worth checking out for IKE members that live in the area, but I'm not sure it's worth the long drive for us southern members.
I think this may be the case for a lot of local festivals that seem to be going on... but, all festivals start out being small and I think it's worth our while to make a presence at as many as possible. Of course, driving 3 or 4 hrs for a small festival is truly not worth it which make it a good thing that we have members in different areas.... I know that Chris and I will be going as it's only about 1/2 hr away from us.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 10:42 AM

It is a small festival, but it is still young, I think this is the 7th year(?) BUT it is still a good time for the local folks. Sycamore is actually the first kite festival I attended. One of the local flyers there(I don't remember his name :oops: ) put a dual line in my hands and I was hooked!!! :twisted: That was where I found out about the Perry Farms event, one thing led to another, and BAM!! here I am, a founding member of IKE!! :up: :up:

So props to the Sycamore crowd!! :bash: :bash:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 11:39 AM

I think anyone up in the area should definitely go. Whether it's worth a 6 hour round-trip drive is my concern.
But, if a bunch of IKE members are going to be there, well...

In other news, the Decatur festival guy said he should have some more info early this week.

Draftnik

Re: List Of Spring And Summer Festivals For 2007

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 12:06 PM

I think Sycamore in it's third or thereabouts year. It is a small fest and part of it's purpose besides being a great community event is to promote the flower shop, which is really spectular that time of year. We'll be there, it's the only fly of the year we get to hang with local friends without operating under the threat of a nervous breakdown. :wink:

It's okay to not have full club attendance at a smaller festival imo. I'd expect attendence will follow along in proportion to the size of any festival and it's distance. Given the number of flyers that have attended Sycamore in the past, IKE will have a majority presence on the field at Sycamore with a handful of flyers there.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 12:35 PM

Chris wrote: Sycamore is actually the first kite festival I attended. One of the local flyers there(I don't remember his name

Do you remember the kite? JJ might be able to tell you who it was from the kite colors.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 12:47 PM

Not really Draftnik, all I remember of it, was it was a rather expensive one (around $350 I think) and I think orange or red? It was one of the two guys flying the big deltas (one of which got hung up in a tree :cry: )
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 06:07 PM

I agree, you have to think long and hard sometimes about how far to drive. But I also think that the two and three day fest may have started out as a one day event too. They all have to start somewhere. Thats why I am driving four hours down to good Ol' Kentucky for a one day event. Plus to see our good friend, Dan. :-D

The way I look at it, is that if enough bodys show up for the one day events, then the ones who are running the show may thing about doing a two or three day event down the road. Some times its worth the sacrifice, some times not.

and Mike PLEASE dont think any of this is directed towards you. Cause by no way is it. Just my .02 on the thoughts posted. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 06:49 PM

no worries Frodo, but thanks for making sure I understood.

I'm making the drive to Airwaves next month. Dan is going to try to be there on the Sunday of the festival. I'll be there both days. Also Ben.
Last year, Grant and Chris Taylor were there with their double-stars.

Here's Chris and his kite.
It's a big photo for Babbman's sake. Don't click on the thumbnail unless you've got broadband.

This may be the only festival that I'm closer too! Not close, but closer!
Anyone else headed down there?

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 07:01 PM

And for those who haven't met Dan, here he is winding in one of his SLKs at Airwaves last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 07:18 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that we all cannot be at all festivals all the time. The reality of life, work and family and distance prevent that... even if we don't want it too...

I think everyone has shown enthusiasm and zeal for the sport so that there should never be any issues when one or some of us cannot make a festival or club fly due to distance or other obligations. We will all end up contributing in some way, shape or form to a large/small festival/club fly/etc....

We have the schedule posted and I have complete confidence that there will be an IKE presence where possible and that we will all make anything that we can... not because we have to, but because we love to...

Also, this is our first year as a club and the last thing any of us needs to do is burn ourselves out in a ridiculous effort to try to do and be everything to kiting all at once...IKE will grow, just as some of the kite festivals have grown.. I cannot sacrifice my job/family/pocketbook :-) , etc and spend every single weekend out of state or away from home... it's just not possible and at the end of the season, I want to be sure that I am happy that I was able to attend the festivals that I did rather than being disappointed that I did not get to all of them.

But that's just me...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 07:46 PM

BTW, we did check out the Oswego field for the April 21st Festival... nice and large... a subdivision to the west but should be plenty of room for flying of all types..

[albumimg]721[/albumimg][albumimg]722[/albumimg][albumimg]723[/albumimg]

I went to Woodridge today to check out the field there for the May 19th festival. Not a large field but should be enough to put up the SLK's that Chris and I have...

[albumimg]724[/albumimg][albumimg]725[/albumimg][albumimg]726[/albumimg][albumimg]727[/albumimg][albumimg]728[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 08:09 PM

Babbman wrote:.. at the end of the season, I want to be sure that I am happy that I was able to attend the festivals that I did rather than being disappointed that I did not get to all of them.
But that's just me...

Noble sentiments and true.
But I'm still on the lookout for some good festivals in July! :shock: :revspin: :-D :revspin: :rotfl

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 19 2007, 08:48 PM

Excellent photo of the doublestar... similar to the color I thought about but in a different order...

I'm going to edge bind with black ripstop also... right now, I'm just waiting for Steve to let us know if he can get us the 3/8" triangles. If not, I'll be learning how to make them myself..

My goal right now is to make the doublestar and a full sized spikey ball in the next 2 months...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 10:09 AM

Wind is the issue with July/Aug festivals. Midwest heat and wind don't seem to go hand in hand. Dodgeville Wisc. has a festival in early July, that I've not heard anything about yet this year.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 11:24 AM

I found out very quickly last year that the wind perfectly sucked throughout the summer... especially for at least a week after I purchased any kite...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 02:52 PM

According to Dan (the director of athletics in Woodridge), sports have not started yet and we should have the field in Woodridge for the day..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 03:14 PM

Good, good, good! We had a birthday request to fly that day, I'm glad to the field is availilbe. Now to get the weather to cooperate...can you take care of that too Babbman? :lol:

A doublestar and a full size spikey...(shaking my head)... :-) Ya wear me out just knowing you've all that to get done.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 03:59 PM

are you kidding me? I learned not to care about the weather because every time I hoped for wind or bought a kite, I got nothing but a gigantic sucking noise from mother nature...

I aims to keep busy.... amongst all of that building, I have a large video project due by the week of April 16 and will spend the majority of that week sitting in the Naperville Central High School Auditorium...

Gonna start the spikey ball tonight... I just need to stop hemming and hawing over the colors and start cutting.

Chris (aka Babbman)

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 08:55 PM

Just remember according to the old AKA rule book, competition was only halted when there was "dangerous" lightening in the area. So it will be ok to fly on Saturday if there is non-dangerous lightening in the area. :twisted:

I will unfortunately be out of town picking up the repaired female blue meanie so I can take her to France. And no Draftnik, She like the Gecko, Trilobite, New Octopus, Fish and the male blue meanie does not have a name. :(
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 10:22 PM

Cripes! I must be shifting gears between passions here. I grabbed the wildlife rehab emergency kit, and was thumbing through bird books to find a femal blue meanie before it dawned on me this is a kite and not the bird kind. :lol: :rotfl :lol:

Oookay, so maybe I'm a little overly hyped up for baby season...alright I'm better now. :oops:

Tsk, tsk, tsk...those poor, poor kites with no names. Gonna have to do something about that Al or we'll start naming them like Jerry Houlk named his parachute bear...Kenny C. Far. :lol:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”