List of Spring and Summer festivals for 2007

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
TheBigKiteGuy

Re: List Of Spring And Summer Festivals For 2007

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Mar 20 2007, 11:37 PM

Draftnik wrote:Cripes! I must be shifting gears between passions here. I grabbed the wildlife rehab emergency kit, and was thumbing through bird books to find a femal blue meanie before it dawned on me this is a kite and not the bird kind. :lol: :rotfl :lol:

Just so you know what you are looking for in the wild.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Mar 21 2007, 12:12 AM

For a pair of blue devils you could do Will C. Dewit, and Edna May.

Edit: This is way cuter...Will C. Dewit and Nona C. Whoanat
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Re: List of Spring and Summer festivals for 2007

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 28 2007, 11:24 AM

The Great Lakes Kite Festival:
Otherwise known as Grand Haven.

iQuad just announced they are going to organize a mega-rev fly.
This is where a bunch of rev fliers stand shoulder to shoulder and fly around and make formations in the sky.

Here's a mega fly at the Kite Party festival earlier this year:

Here's the post at Kitelife magazine. let's get some Red Shirts at the mega-fly!
http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1503

I mean "IKE" red shirts. Not the kind those ill-fated Star Trek crew members wear!

If you want to post your signature with the IKE logo at Kitelife, here's the code to cut and paste (of course, you might want to change the name from mine to yours :-) )

Code: Select all

Mike Kory
[url=http://www.ikeclub.org][img]http://www.ikeclub.org/images/ike_member.png[/img][/url]

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Mon, Apr 09 2007, 01:53 AM

Mike wrote:Grinnell:

From Dick & Sis Vogel, organizers of the Grinnell Festival:

Some individuals from Grinnell have offered bedrooms in their homes. Let me know ... I will do my best to find them free lodging.

If you are going, PM me some info about yourself as quoted in the above post, and if you want a room, let me know as well.

I'll forward the info to Dick.

I know Chris, Ken, and Chicago Kite are going. Me too. Who else?

I am going to be there, along with several other people from the area. I reside in Overland Park, Kansas.
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Apr 09 2007, 09:15 AM

DeKalb's date is set now as September 16th.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 09 2007, 10:09 AM

I updated the listing.
For those who don't know, this festival is put on by Draftnik. Last year was the first year, and it was great!
Lots of nice people and a tremendous amount of room to fly.
Save room on your calendar for this one!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Apr 09 2007, 10:29 AM

Lookin forward to it...

Chris, if there is anything I can do to help out, please let me know.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Mon, Apr 09 2007, 06:48 PM

I'm just the goto girl, of the DeKalb Fest, it's put on by the community. Thanks for the offers to help, they are _greatly_ appreciated and will be put to good use.
TTFN,

Draftnik

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 04:42 AM

Draftnik wrote:DeKalb's date is set now as September 16th.

hey there Drafty,

:up: EXCELLENT!!!! The timing couldn't be better....your festival is gonna fall right in the middle of my week off (woohoo!). May have to come down a day early this time. Leaving for Dekalb at 4AM & driving 3.5hrs...wrangling kites all day...and then driving all the way back that night was a bit much last year.

Happen to have a host hotel lined up by any chance?? (yet a little more pressure for one of our favorite event organizers, lol)

By the way Chris, I totally apologize for not yet replying to the messages you've sent me in the past week or so - I DID finally get them and will write ya back as soon as I can (still playing catch up). Been dealing with computer problems lately & have also been spending most of my free time shopping around for a brand NEW Kite-mobile. I'm afraid the old RODEO has seen better days and won't be attending any more 'away' events (RIP). Nor will I for that matter...until a different vehicle is had. Two weeks until Decatur...still hoping to make it down there.

PS: those of you who're attending the AirWaves Kite Festival this weekend are in my thoughts. From the weather reports I've been seeing, it must be downright NASTY there....rain/possible sleet or snow/low temps/and high winds...yikes!!! Sounds like a real treat. Had originally wanted to join the party....but now I don't feel quite so bad for missing out :wink:

get 'high' on kites,

Jeff Hale - SkyWalker

:SLKani:
Last edited by SkyWalker on Sun, Apr 15 2007, 05:31 AM, edited 2 times in total.

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 05:23 AM

Draftnik wrote:Wind is the issue with July/Aug festivals. Midwest heat and wind don't seem to go hand in hand. Dodgeville Wisc. has a festival in early July, that I've not heard anything about yet this year.

To the best of my knowledge, the Wisconsin Kiter's annual 'Dodgeville Kite Roundup' is no more. There was some talk at the last club meeting to switch venues...from Dodgeville, WI to the USA Youth Sports Complex in Appleton, WI (we have a large & constantly growing base of kitefliers up here by me. Not to mention a much larger number of hotels, restaurants, and other possible sponsors - compared to what the Dodgeville area had to offer).

However, Kathy & Denny Roe would want to pass the reigns over to someone else...that someone hasn't been found yet. :oops:

PS: our USA Youth Sports Complex is the "possible" future sight of the 2009 AKA National Convention! (2 other possibilities - has yet to be voted on)

Get 'high' on kites,

:LogoRevAni: Jeff Hale - SkyWalker
Last edited by SkyWalker on Mon, Apr 16 2007, 06:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 08:20 AM

Well, now I know you you can type, I was beginning to wonder! ;-)

Too bad about Dodgeville, I really liked camping at Gov. Dodge. Appleton sounds great though!

Jeff, you'd be very capabable of pulling together a team of locals and WC club members to get a festival going in Appleton. Use your experience and break it down into tasks and dish it out for others to handle. People like to get invovled all they need is to have the taskes defined and then be asked to do them. If the Sports Complex is vested in getting convention there, they outa be able/willing to handle a kite festival. Consider yourself encouraged and supported. :-D
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 09:26 PM

SkyWalker wrote:
PS: those of you who're attending the AirWaves Kite Festival this weekend are in my thoughts. From the weather reports I've been seeing, it must be downright NASTY there....rain/possible sleet or snow/low temps/and high winds...yikes!!! Sounds like a real treat. Had originally wanted to join the party....but now I don't feel quite so bad for missing out :wink:

Well the forecast was pretty accurate for a change. But it was still a blast.
They canceled Saturday but opened up a building for us and brought in cards and games and lunch and then a very nice catered dinner.
I don't get as much time to talk to folks out on the field when I'm flying, so it was fun hanging out and getting to know the other kiters in this setting.
Actually, Ken, Ben, Zach Gordon and I did fly in the freezing rain on Saturday morning anyway. Ben, from San Diego, was wearing shorts. :shock:

Sunday the festival went on as planned. No precipitation but cold and gusty which kept most of the spectators away. Still had tons of fun flying with the other quad-heads and bringing several more folks over to the dark side :twisted:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Apr 15 2007, 10:23 PM

Ben, from San Diego, was wearing shorts.

Yes he was, too bad I did not get a shot of him in his get up. :oops: I will post pictures tomorrow evening in the right posting, after my blood shot eyes clear up after flying ALL day and driving back for 4.5 hrs to get home. :up: Well worth the drive!!! :mrgreen:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Mon, Apr 16 2007, 09:50 AM

Mike wrote:
Babbman wrote:.. at the end of the season, I want to be sure that I am happy that I was able to attend the festivals that I did rather than being disappointed that I did not get to all of them.
But that's just me...

Noble sentiments and true.
But I'm still on the lookout for some good festivals in July! :shock: :revspin: :-D :revspin: :rotfl

hey Mike,

If you're looking for a decent event in July, you may want to consider heading up to the "North Coast Sport Kite Games" at Maumee Bay State Park...Oregon, OH. Should be right up your alley - seeing as you're a big :revspin: QUAD-HEAD :revspin:
[align=center]:twisted: I say that with a big 'ole kite-eating grin on my face, LOL[/align]

Penned that particular festival in on my own calendar this year - tentatively. Look forward to checking it out. Which reminds me, I still need to find out about lodging, etc, etc. Thought I'd heard that camping is available, but I'm not sure about roughing it. Then there's all that bulky camping gear to pack...that much less room for kites!!! If anyone is looking for a travel buddy to split costs with...I'm open to the idea.

[align=center]For more info on The Games[/align]

PS: thought I read somewhere that the late Al Hargus started this event years ago. Anyone here know fer sure? Regretfully, I never got to meet Al.....nor Mike Gillard either.

get 'high' on kites,

:SLKani: Jeff Hale - SkyWalker

Last edited by SkyWalker on Tue, Apr 17 2007, 05:46 AM, edited 8 times in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 16 2007, 09:59 AM

Jeff,
it looks intriguing. Has anyone been to this one? I'm not sure I'd want to camp either.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Apr 16 2007, 07:50 PM

I used to go to this one regularly, and did in fact camp. Then my kites got too big and took up to much of the field. I don't know if Al or Uncle Wilber (Steve Webber) started it, I think Black Swamp took over running it from Uncle Wilbert, but I am not sure. It is a VERY informal festival.
Alan Sparling

Ann

Postby Ann » Mon, Apr 16 2007, 08:22 PM

We have never attended this festival, but understand it is really informal and lots of fun. I believe Vickie and Dean Proudfoot (aka Sky Jesters) are regulars; I will forward them this link. Perhaps they could add more firsthand information.

Ann Vondriska

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”