Naperville School Looking For Kite Making Instructor

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
TheBigKiteGuy

Naperville School Looking For Kite Making Instructor

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 11:47 PM

Not sure this is the place for this, but if not here, where?

Just before Fish Creek I got the following mail. I am embarrassed to say I forgot about it. Anybody interested in helping her out? Let me know and I will send you her contact info privately.

Dear Mr. Sparling,

Every spring, Mill Street Elementary School in Naperville offers a program called Mini-Courses to its students. This one-afternoon program provides an opportunity for kids to explore interests in many areas, including the sciences, fine arts, performing arts, sports and arts& crafts. This year, we would be very interested in including a class on simple kite making/flying, geared toward students in grades one through five. I found your name on several kite-related websites (including your own), and after seeing some of the amazing kites you fly at various festivals, thought you would be an excellent resource. Would you know of any possible instructors in the area for such a class? Here is some additional information about our program:

Location: Mill Street Elementary School, Naperville (near the intersection of Ogden and Mill)
Date: Friday, April 27
Class time: 1:00-2:15
Appropriate grade levels: grades 1-5, or as specified by instructor given nature of project
Number of students per class: to be determined by instructor (most of our classes end up with 15 to 25 students)
Volunteers: adult volunteers are available to help in class ­number needed to be determined by instructor

Any assistance you can provide to us in our search is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Maary xxxxxxxxx
Mini-Course Committee, Mill Street Elementary School
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Re: Naperville School Looking For Kite Making Instructor

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Feb 23 2007, 08:27 AM

Humm, we do a program at our kids school...It's worked well for us to have another kiter come in with their kites, so we have 3 kiters involved. One does kite making, one gives a talk and a third kiter to display/demo their own kites. I was about to ask if anyone here was interested in being our third? We might be able to help out with Naperville.

Paul Fieber has done the kite displays for us in the past. He has his own groupies down here. :-) Kids and adults! We managed to time it for him on his way to MAKR, or something he was attending in the area. I'd ask him again, but think it's time to spread the joy around a bit. :wink: He's was Region 6 director at the time and it's time to give him a well deserved break.

It's a treat to get to see another kiters collection on display like that and hear a bit about their history in kiting, and the history of their kites. For that perk alone I'd be willing to work wiith someone at Naperville! I have a kite talk on power point, that covers kite history, and a little of the science of it.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Feb 23 2007, 01:05 PM

ok guys... Chris Cubed is all over this and I sent an e-mail over to the school for more information, budget, etc... we'll let you know what's up...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 28 2007, 12:42 PM

IKE will be teaching the class... we just formalized everything today with Mary.

The instructors are Chris, Chris & Chris. AKA Chris3

Dave is supplying Frustrationless Flyer kits and the school is paying for them.

Here's the description of the course...

----------------
Let’s Go Fly a Kite! You may have flown a kite before, but you won’t believe some of the kites these experts fly! Discover the art—and magic—of kite flying in a fun, hands-on introduction to this high-flying sport. You’ll get insiders’ tips to successful flying, make and decorate your own kite to take home, and see a presentation of some amazing kites from these avid flyers. What could be more fun on an April afternoon?
Eligible Grades: All
Instructors: Chris Babb, Chris Rizzuto, Chris Overmann - Illinois Kite Enthusiasts Club
-----------------

I think we will have some fun with this... Wish us luck!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 28 2007, 02:15 PM

That's awesome folks.
Good luck!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:42 AM

Hats off to the three of you. Have blast and good luck!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Mar 17 2007, 09:46 AM

FYI Chris & Chris

I picked up the frustration less flyer kits from Dave yesterday for the class. I got 30 of them and also got 30 line sets to go with them so we should be set.

We only need 25 but I was thinking that Chris and I would throw one together before the class to see what we are getting into...

we should have a chat one of these nights to formalize what we are going to do...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 09:06 AM

See if you can get the school logo to put on the kite you put together. That'll wow 'em. :wink:

Are you guys interested in doing another of these? Longer afternoon program, with 5th graders who've studied wind? in science, with a decent field to fly on?
TTFN,

Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 04:47 PM

I'd like to, but I can't do them during the week too often, I don't get personal days or sick days(days off mean I don't get paid) :(
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 04:57 PM

Chris Cubed had a successful mini-course class in Naperville today. 21 kids and a great space to work in. We displayed a bunch of kites and helped the kids make sleds, and talked kites.

[albumimg]838[/albumimg]

The kid on the right, the next Al Sparling, getting a glimpse of a Jordan as it was being pulled from the compression sack.

[albumimg]839[/albumimg]

:rotfl He made my day!
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 07:37 PM

Great job everyone! It's great how the club can do this.
Can you tell us what you did? Any hints, tips, ideas that we can use? Tom is going to do something like this in June.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 08:31 PM

This was a really great experience.... when we arrived and started setting up, there were many comments about kites and coolness and a few of the other volunteers stopped me and told me that they wanted to be in OUR course...lol... We had 21 kids and 4 parent volunteers wo were all wonderful and helpful. The course was an hour and 15 mins long... The kids were between 1st and 5th grade.

We started by introducing ourselves, the club and our kiting experiences. Then Draftnik asked the kids if they had ever flown a kite... the number who said yes was dismal... we have a lot of work to do peoples!... then they were asked to relate their experiences with kites and then Draftnik explained what makes a kite a kite... It was one of those times where you had to be careful because of knowledge level of the kids but it all worked out great.

At that point we started in on the building of the frustrationless flier kits that I got from David. BTW, these kits were excellent, easy to put together, easy to color on and seemed that they will fly very well. This pretty much took up all the rest of the time. Chris R ran this part really well and the other Chris's roamed class helping out where it was needed. At the end, we showed the kids a variety of kites... Dualies, quads, a Circoflex, the Roks and some mini kites (these were MY personal favorite!). We also mentioned kite safety and how important it is.

To end it all off, Chris and I pulled out the Jordan 100 that Kent lent to us and the gasps and questions peppered us until the class was dismissed.

In all, it went pretty good. Of course, there were some very short uncomfortable seconds where we were trying to determine where to go and how detailed to get but the expressions and comments by the kids were great.

The only complaint was that the time was very short and the day not quite so sunny... It would have been great to take the kids outside and let them fly their kites.

The librarian came up to me later and started talking about her boyfriend who loves kites so I immediately shoved a card in her hand...

I think over all, it was very worthwhile and something that IKE should become very proficient at as I can see that the need for some serious exposure to kiting (not just the walmart version of it) is sorely needed in the schools today...

Thanks Chris and Chris!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 09:19 PM

:ditto

This was my first attempt at teaching ANY sort of class, and I thought it went great! With the help of Chris and Chris( :rotfl ) and the parent volunteers, everything went very well. I really enjoyed the class, and wish I could afford to miss more work days for these courses but...

The kites that Chicago Kite provide are the best sleds I've seen yet. They actually flew! I was even flying one in the library from a dowel!

All in all, it was a fantastic day, and being able to share our cumulative knowledge with the kids, just made my day! :mrblue:

A big thanks again to all involved :clap :up: :thanks:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Apr 27 2007, 09:43 PM

The kids enjoy seeing kites fly. If your stuck indoors for any amount of time, launching a kite overhead in the room refocuses even the antsiest kids. We had a great room to be working in, sunken floor and cathedral ceiling, and no furniture in the grade school room was over 4' tall.

Most small SL kites can fly indoors on a stick of somesort. Tails and ribbon banners can be put on a pole to fly. Doing soft slow figures 8's. Usually, it works best to start small (like with a miniature) and work up to the bigger kites. I got engrossed in getting the snowy owl kite to fly as the class was assembling and the tiny miniature lost some of it's enchantment powers-but not all. :-)

We had a 4' dowel, and a handle off a Birdie. I forgot the banner pole and we could have used it in that room. :(

Like with all kites there's a diff between someone with experience and a newbie flyer. Mostly the experience keeps the kites outa reach of the kids. A newbie looses a sedwick cube sail, to the little whit in the front row, with the slippery butt that was always sliding off his chair, and zipping his way into trouble! :lol:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Apr 28 2007, 12:15 AM

Well done Guys and Gal!!!

A HUGE hats off to all that were able to do this!!!!! :mrgreen: Nothing like molding a young mind. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mitch G

Postby Mitch G » Sun, May 06 2007, 05:05 PM

I taught an astronomy mini-course at Mill that day as well - you guys definitely had a great display set up.
I teach my astronomy mini-course at a few schools in Naperville. Although this season of mini-courses is complete, if you are interested in doing this sort of thing for other schools, I can make a note to mention your kites mini-course to the schools as they call me next year.

Mitch

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, May 06 2007, 06:53 PM

Wish we would have had the chance to meet at Mill School... and yes, please feel free to mention it to other schools... we had a great time...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”