Rencontres Internationales De Cerfs-Volants

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
TheBigKiteGuy

Rencontres Internationales De Cerfs-Volants

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Dec 11 2006, 08:10 PM

I have lately posted notes about the dark side of sponsored flying. There is another side. I will hopefully be attending Rencontres Internationales de Cerfs-Volants in Berck-sur-Mer, France on the English Channel this coming year.

This is an enormous ten day long festival, that dwarfs every US festival that I have been to. It was the first international festival I attended, and I am looking forward to returning with a lot more experience.

Now, I just need to get back to work learning French. However, I have absolutely no talent is learning other languages, it is always a struggle.
Alan Sparling

denverberry

Re: Rencontres Internationales De Cerfs-Volants

Postby denverberry » Tue, Dec 12 2006, 01:35 AM

I'm trying to re-learn German (havn't used it since age 8 ) right now myself... My wife is Swiss and ALL of her family is Swiss/German, I can't converse with any of them.
Last edited by denverberry on Tue, Dec 12 2006, 02:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Dec 12 2006, 09:11 AM

That's so cool Al. Please keep us posted. I'd like to hear all about it.

OH! Maybe you could lay hands on one of these for me. http://drachenmanufaktur.com/ksf/kites/scubadoo.htm But then you'd have to get it home, and maybe that's got herculean issues I'm not aware of. I think they sorta twist into a pancake, for storage.

Here's the reason I'm all over the place looking for one of these. My daughters in line for a new kite and has been since summer. Nothing is tripping her trigger. We can't find her a single line kite she likes. She and Kisa met at MAKR last year. The kids had been with their grandparents all weekend, helping G'pa in the shop, while we attended MAKR. My daughters coat was showing the evidence of all their creative fun when they arrived for the trip home at the end of the weekend. Her coat was paint splattered, which is right up Kisa's alley. :-) The two of them hit it off and talked for quiet a bit. My daughter remembers Kisa fondly. Which leaves me in a shameless scramble to do what I've been kicking myself all year for not doing first thing at MAKR, get one of Kisa's kites! *I* wanted one, but couldn't validate it for myself. Had I realized that my daughter had such good taste in kites before all Kisa's had been sold...we'd have gotten one there. :cry:

:wink: Utterly shameless, ain't it? This sad tale of a little girl that wants a new kite to fly. My kids are my greatest passion with kites in a close second. Combine the two and it's a dangerous mix. :mrviolet:

If I can't get one lined by MAKR this year, no telling what I may do. :roll:
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 12 2006, 09:47 AM

Shipping might be pricey, but there's an email address at Kisa's shop:
http://kisa.de/shop/index.htm

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Dec 12 2006, 12:37 PM

Draftnik wrote:That's so cool Al. Please keep us posted. I'd like to hear all about it.

OH! Maybe you could lay hands on one of these for me. http://drachenmanufaktur.com/ksf/kites/scubadoo.htm But then you'd have to get it home, and maybe that's got herculean issues I'm not aware of. I think they sorta twist into a pancake, for storage.

But would it survive a compression sack? It would be a shame to bring back pieces.

I will be going to Berck to be part of an Octopile. I don't know what other big kite I will be taking, but I expect to be taking two compression sacks with big kites and a carry on bag with clothes for 9 days.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Mar 28 2007, 11:23 PM

Well, I am all packed and ready to go to Berck. I think I will have to find a laundry, I could not fit 11 days of
clothing in a single carry on bag. Either that or I can fit in with some of the locals and stink up the place. :lol:

Back online 4/11
Alan Sparling

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:06 AM

Have a save and fun trip Al!!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 29 2007, 08:03 AM

Bon Voyage!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 12:09 AM

http://www.cerf-volant-berck.com/accueil.html

Pics and videos...might be a good thing to _not_ understand what that newscaster is saying. :roll:

Hope Al's new octopus came fully clothed. :mrorange:
TTFN,

Draftnik

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 06:45 PM

The octopus has no embarrassing bits showing. The mermaid and the cherub can not say that. The mermaid was already famous for the fuss made about her bare bewasts in Madison at KOI. They would have had a fit with the male genitalia on the cherub. Marco likes to create a fuss.

The recap video is nice, but it does not have the last three days which include the two biggest flying days. It is also missing the full compliment of octopi and the sixteen or eighteen (I kept loosing count) member Rev mega team. This festival makes every other festival I have been to pale in comparison, I heard numbers like 600,000 spectators over the last three days. I would like to see official numbers, but this is entirely possible. The lines at the bathrooms were mind boggling.

When I wake up, I will start looking through the 3 GBs of pictures and videos. and post a few.
Alan Sparling

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 06:48 PM

OK, I am really groggy, having been up since 9 last night Chicago time. I am not sure what bewasts are.
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 07:00 PM

What an incredible event! I'm amazed at the number of people that come to see kites!!! :shock: That is what I hope to see somewhere in the states someday. :mrgreen: I like the rev mega flys, but the dual megafly was really cool 8) :up: Welcome back Al, I'm really envious now :wink:

BTW, I really like the music in the video! :up:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 09:32 PM

Good to have you back safe and sound, Al. Get some rest and tell us all about it.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 09:45 PM

Welcome back Al, glad to here it was a GREAT time. I guess to say it was a good turn out would be an understatement with numbers of 600,000!! :shock:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:57 PM

Here are a few of the 500 or so pictures I took.

Image Part way to setting the new record of 19 Octos in the air at the same time.

Image And from the back

Image We started out many days with fog

Image Turbulent winds added to the challenge

Image The only toilet with short lines

Image Can you find all the Revs?

Image A piece of a very busy sky
Alan Sparling

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:17 AM

Now there is another much lower estimate of 100,00 people. The highet estimate came from the event press office. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

In any case there were more people there than I have ever seen in one place,
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 06:25 AM

Al,
Thanks for the pics. I love the rear view of the octopuses with all those tentacles flying about. That crowded sky is impressive as well.
Someday I'm gonna get out there...

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 04:47 PM

100,000? No way.

Love the way the green octopus looks ticked that he's wrapped on the line. :-) And the suspense of the one in the fog.

Also bonkers about the fact they had a labyrinth!!

<sigh> Someday...
TTFN,

Draftnik

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 09:01 PM

Draftnik wrote:

Love the way the green octopus looks ticked that he's wrapped on the line. :-) And the suspense of the one in the fog.

Also bonkers about the fact they had a labyrinth!!

<sigh> Someday...

The green Octo was the first OLO (Overly Large Octopus), unfortunately it had no bridle adjustments to tune, so it kept overflying the line.

We had fog many of the mornings and most of one day. I have several fog pictures, including one where you only see the leading edges of several Revs.

When they were getting ready to build the labyrinth the question was posed: Are they building a maze or getting ready to burn a witch? Somehow it seemed funnier then.

Still recovering from the trip. Those d***ed OLOs made putting on the show MUCH harder and MUCH more dangerous. They pull much harder than a normal octopus and at one point an OLO almost went in the channel. It pulled its anchors across the soft sand almost to the hard pack where water and salt from the tides made a harder and slipperier surface. If it had made another twenty feet to the hard pack, it would have been gone. Luckily, the forklift that was there to move anchors, got to it and used its blades to hold the anchors in place while another tractor pulled the kite down. Yes, we were flying in conditions that were borderline insane and would not have done so if we were not sponsored.
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Apr 12 2007, 09:12 PM

Hey Al, what are the chances of the barrel making an appearance around here this year? :twisted:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”