quad routines

Links to videos of anything kite related.
Babbman

Re: quad routines

Postby Babbman » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 06:31 AM

I'll get this routine setup and put on my IPOD for reference also..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Re: Quad Routines

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 07:50 AM

Draftnik wrote:I know you'll proceed with respect for the orginators of the routine. :wink:

Jeff, dual lines make for dramatic pairs or team routines, and there maybe club members interested in similar dual routines. (Where is Knoted when a rant and rave about the Dark Side is needed? :lol: )

We won't be copying anyones original routine. That video is just to be used as an example. They aren't doing any original moves.
There have become a bunch of moves that quad teams are doing and I have been documenting some of the more popular moves so that we have a common "quad team language". Eventually the instructions will be posted on the other forums or at Rev's site.

Knoted has joined the dark side already! I haven't seen it yet, but I know he has a rev now too.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 07:52 AM

Jeff wrote:Well, I'm the ultimate diplomat...I see no need to take sides. I would love to become proficient at both, and I'll have a great time with either. ;)

You'll be in good company, there are several fliers out there who are really good at both. Zach Gordon, now in Chicago Fire, is one example.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 07:58 AM

Jim Foster wrote:I think I just figured out the blender for three...

It sounds like a cross between a blender and and a sideways benefits!
Could be interesting to do it with 8 kites. After getting to the horizontal line, the two outside kites benefit towards the center, all kites do 180's, then reverse all the moves back to the beginning.

This is cool. See, once we have a basic vocabulary we can add on and modify tricks and have a way to describe what we're doing.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 08:17 AM

Jim Foster wrote:Mike...Benefits, doe see does, walk ups, follows, bowls, lots of fun stuff...
Three, doesn't that make it an IKE club fly?

Yup, three makes it a club fly in my book! You guys need t-shirts! :rotfl

walk ups-- is that what you are calling the move where kiters ladder up side by side in a horizontal line?

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 09:34 AM

some other things to consider...

I do a lot of video that is synced to music... and have spend quite a bit of time over the years watching:

Military Drill Teams
Bule Angles/Thunderbirds routines
Drum Corps

There a lot of interesting things in all of them that could apply very well to team Rev flying... Of course, the above examples are the extreme but there are things to be considered. Another consideration as the group of fliers gets a bit larger would be 1 or 2 'soloists (as they are called)' who break from the pack and do routines around the main pack. This is something that could be done with the speed series Revs or even dual lines... but that's just something to consider for the future as we need the basics down first.

We also need to come up with a list of music that we can have available when we do get together... I always find flying to music to be the best way to practice anything that has moves and precision. Maybe 4 fast/4 slow to go with the mood/wind/crowd... even if we don't have something synced to it, we would be the only ones that know it... kinda like Mike was talking about while in CA. Plus, it might make it easier to rehearse things when we are not all together as we can at least have reference points to practice against.

I REALLY do not want to copy anyone else exactly either. I know that most who see us wouldn't know the difference but we would and there is no better way to get some recognition than by being very original.

That and coming up with a cool team name/logo...

Yes Mike... that means MORE SHIRTS!...lol One other thing to consider with garb is how to display our colors when we have to wear jackets/heavier clothing... maybe something along the lines of the placards that skiers wear when they compete?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 10:27 AM

Or logo patches to add to jackets?
TTFN,
Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 12:55 PM

I like the thought of patches, they can go anywear!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 01:07 PM

We don't fly in freezing weather too often, so maybe a lightweight fleece jacket with embroidery would do the trick.

Music with a pretty quick, continuous beat often works well because there are plenty of beats to hit. :-)
It also give us a count for doing things in synchrony.
That's why a lot of sort-of-planned flying is done to techno music.

We could also actually choreograph a routine to a song. That would be the best.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 02:06 PM

I'm working on getting a copy of the software they use for making up the drill routines for drum corps. One of the guys I see during drumshow owes me and uses it to do the drill routines for the school.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 03:03 PM

Mike

Yes, I think ladder up is the proper term, not walk up.

Eight kites doing as I outlined for three would be awesome. Six kites would also be fun.

There are endless possibilities. It just takes some care not to get would up causing "lock up" and one must remember how you got where you are so that it can get undone. I have messed up a couple of times getting back out of some strange situation.

The other fun thing to work out is having all 180s in a direction so as to have everyone untwisted at the end.

I sounds like Mike has the gang excited about flying quads together. I think it's great. :up:

Jim
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Kite Slayer

Postby Kite Slayer » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 05:56 PM

I will practise those patterns and someday I will be able to fly with you guys :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin: :revspin:

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 06:03 PM

Oh, you bet Kite Slayer! I'm looking forward to it.
The big thing to practice is flying upside down and backwards. That's also the hardest thing to do with a rev, so take it slow. Set goals of flying upside down for a few seconds at a time. Then go for 10 seconds, 20 seconds up to 1 minute.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 09:40 PM

Kite Slayer

Mike is right on, Kite Slayer. I was having loads of trouble learning to fly my quad inverted. I was in San Diego one Saturday and ran across Ron Despojado. He said to launch inverted and hold a couple of feet off the ground until the kite becomes unstable, then land. Do it over and over until holding inverted becomes second nature. It will, believe me. Once you can hold inverted, move the kite from side to side inverted. It will become as easy as flying right side up, and you will find yourself flying inverted and sideways more than right side up and forward. It is actually far easier to slide from side to side inverted than it is right side up. Inverted you can slide clear across the window. Revs don't seem to like to slide to the edge of the window leading edge up. Vented Revs slide right side up better than full sail Revs. I think it is because some of the air can pass behind the verticle spars.

Never forget the "P" word. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Fun Stuff, Jim :revspin:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Apr 10 2007, 10:02 PM

Practice is the ticket... it gets boring after a while but that's where imagination can help you out... use music or anything else that helps keep you focused...

My example of this technique is when I started playing pool in the APA league. I've always played but when I got in the league and started getting put up against people who DID know how to play, I realized that I knew nothing. I spent the 6 months getting my butt kicked and I didn't like it. So, my solution was to practice my butt off.

I was lucky enough to have a table in my basement and I spent every spare minute racking and shooting. Now, you may say that playing by yourself isn't going to help much and in a sense, that is true. But I started using my imagination while practicing and figured out how to focus all my energy and make it so that I was focusing on something other than my missing shots and the fact that I WAS practicing. I basically used all the idiots that kicked my butt in the league and played them over and over and over in my basement and in my head... and after 6 months, I suddenly realized that my muscles had figured out what to do without me!

Find a way that makes practice fun and eventually, you will discover that you learned a bunch too... and you won't have to think about all the things that are necessary to do a move, you'll just do the move...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 08:31 PM

I was talking to Babbman, and I think we should each pick four songs, two fast and two slow. So then we can work with sixteen songs, and get a feel for them. Then we can add or remove songs if necessary. How about length, I was thinking around 2-3 minutes, definitely no longer than 4!
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 08:37 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Kite Slayer

I was in San Diego one Saturday and ran across Ron Despojado.

Sometime you should ask Ron about the time he mooned the Japanese.
Alan Sparling

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 09:21 PM

Billy Jonas is an area fav for funky independant music. And as long as we're on the subject of exposure Ralph Coverts, "Belly Botton" song has the oddest effect of inspiring women to expose their belly buttons. :roll: But you guys need to keep your eyes on the kites so that's pry not a good suggestion.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 09:21 PM

I've uploaded an adobe acrobat file with some Quad Mega-fly routines.
Download it here.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Apr 11 2007, 09:33 PM

Sounds interesting. Probably won't be in San Diego for a while, but we may see Ron at San Ramon. I'll ask.

Jim :revspin:

Return to “Videos”