AVIONCITO DE PAPEL = PAPER PLANE

Links to videos of anything kite related.
Hector Herrera

AVIONCITO DE PAPEL = PAPER PLANE

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, May 04 2008, 11:12 PM

FINNALY...A small video of my paper plane kite PROTOTYPE.

I would apreciate comments and suggestion to make it fly steady.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3163263&hl[googlevideo]2836436656803163263&hl[/googlevideo]=en
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Jim Foster

Re: AVIONCITO DE PAPEL = PAPER PLANE

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, May 04 2008, 11:58 PM

Hector, very neat. I love it.

Rather than add weight to the back as you said in your video, I would try moving the tow point a little more toward the back and see what that does.

What you have here is a modified delta conyne. I think the tow point should be about where it would be on a single line delta kite

I would also try some sort of a tail for drag. Perhaps a two or three foot sock about four inches in diameter. Maybe a spin sock.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Jim Foster on Mon, May 05 2008, 12:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, May 05 2008, 03:12 PM

Hector

I asked super kite builder Rod Milburn to look at the video and give his suggestions as t stability. Here is his answer:

It would appear that the large rear area is over powering the kite at the bridle's fulcrum. It could go either way but I might try a single point bridle at the very nose of the kite. Down at the bottom of the "keel." It's mostly trial and error

Rod
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

akillip

Postby akillip » Mon, May 05 2008, 08:04 PM

Looking at the video its flight is very similar to a russell hall kite, it looks a bit like one also. A bit of a breeze or gust and it nose dives and does it tend to overfly? We used an adjustable bridle and added the all important SPRING. A spring loaded bridle set up just like the original russell hall kite. The kite suddenly flew like a charm in lighter winds. In heavier winds we added a simple windsock. The tow point ended up way forward of the center point of the bridle. And we tried several different springs to find the right tension. It flys good. Something to think about since it looks like and seems to fly like a Russell hall.

Tony
Last edited by akillip on Mon, May 05 2008, 08:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, May 05 2008, 08:24 PM

Thanks you so much everyone, and Jim, definitly NO tail-s otherwise it will change the appearance of the paper plane, since paper planes don't have any tails.

And yes you guys are right at your observations in relations to "how the wind lifts the rear end of the kite", I have tought about it, and I came out with THIS SOLUTION.

!!! VENTILATION !!! :nerd: Just like duals and quads... :up: If I make a couple of vented strips on the wide area of the wing then the wind will not lift the kite so much...

and... it may also make the kite more stable... :shock: do you capish?

Jim, I searched for a Delta Conyne kite you mentioned...and...No way man, not even close, my kite is totally different. IS UNIQUE.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Mon, May 05 2008, 09:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Return to “Videos”