Which Spar Is Which?

Looking for information on fabric and framework? Discuss it here.
Drachenschwanz

Which Spar Is Which?

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, Apr 18 2007, 01:14 PM

I'm building a kite that needs several different types of sparing. I need one that is flexible enough to support a disk shape about 28 inches across with out breaking, one that merely supports an edge and one that needs to be rigid, light and sturdy for the center.

I'll probably use the 4mm graphite tube for the supporting edge spars but am unsure about the others.

For the stronger central spar, I'm not sure if I should consider a larger graphite tube, just how sturdy are they? It will have a bridle point at each end, it's a 4' span and shouldn't have any bend in it. Picky, huh?

Drafty, you have a fairly flexible spar in her heart kite, do you remember it's specs? That type might be a good choice for the discs. I'm guessing 2mm fiberglass.

Lastly, aside from buying a sample of each type of spar for reference, is there any resource that gives practical information about spars?

:thanks:

Rick
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Draftnik

Re: Which Spar Is Which?

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Apr 18 2007, 02:45 PM

I have not checked to be sure but I think that the snowy owl kites have the same spar in them that the heart does. I'll try and check tonight, but you should have some spars to look at on that kite. There's 2 or 3 sizes of solid fiberglass spars on that. We also have a Birdie or Yo-Yo? a kite, that that'll give you some ideas for framing a disk. You can see check that out Saturday.
TTFN,
Draftnik

RevJB

Request For Information From Goestoeleven

Postby RevJB » Tue, Mar 15 2011, 11:50 AM

@goestoeleven

I received your PM, but your profile is set to not accept any PMs.

Please go into your Profile from the top line menu and then under Preferences change the following two lines to "Yes" and then click on Submit. Please PM me again after the changes.

Allow users to send me private messages:
Note that system administrators, moderators and friends will always be able to send you messages. Yes
Notify on new Private Message: Yes
John
:LogoRevAni:

goestoeleven

Re: Which Spar Is Which?

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Mar 27 2011, 09:25 PM

PM sent, thanks.

Return to “Fabric, Spars and Fittings”