noob need frame help

Looking for information on fabric and framework? Discuss it here.
A.Holder

noob need frame help

Postby A.Holder » Sun, Jul 27 2014, 11:37 PM

Im having a prob w the first box kite i ever purchased, the one im best at flying..its a wooden dowel framed invert octagon box. Ive never had the frame specs and when a dowel broke i would just cut one close as i could get it. That worked for the first few. But now, having replaced most if not all the dowels without the specs, ive compromised the flying integrity of my kite. Does anyone know anyone i can send my kite to that would be able to figure out its specs again and make me some new dowels? I miss this kite terribly!! Any help is appreciated! Thx! Amy

Mike

Re: noob need frame help

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 29 2014, 06:58 PM

I'm sorry that you haven't received any help so far.
If you were to show up at a club fly with your kite, I expect you could get some good advice and be introduced to some other sorts of cool kites at the same time.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Jul 29 2014, 08:02 PM

If you live in the Chicago area, I would be willing to take a look at it and either help you repair it or recommend where to get it repaired. Post some pictures of the kite so we have a good idea of the type of kite you have. I'm sure we'll be better able to suggest the proper course of action with additional information.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Jul 29 2014, 08:05 PM

Do you have pictures? I'm wondering if the dowels are all the same diameter, length & weight. Maybe something has thrown off the balance of the kite.

As Mike said, coming to a club fly (or a kite festival) would provide you with more people to meet, look at your kite, and offer some opinions. It's kind of hard to diagnose without seeing how it's flying and other details . . . .

Edit: Ok, that's funny that we both posted asking for pix at the same time . . . .

P.S. Mark (makatakam) is up in the Schaumburg area if you wanted to meet him some time for a look at the kite.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Wed, Jul 30 2014, 09:39 PM

The gone with the wind forum (gwtwforum.com) has many experienced kite fliers of all types. Someone there would be able to identify your kite from a photo and point you in the right direction to get specs probably.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

Return to “Fabric, Spars and Fittings”