Kite Rehab

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Draftnik

Kite Rehab

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 05:35 PM

I could use some advice on how to repair a kite. It's a 252 Sutton and the trailing edge got a little beat up. I can figure out how to handle the edgebinding. In fact that looks delightfully easy for edgebinding. It's these rips I'm not as confident as to how to repair. We've fixed small rips with superglue, like Gomberg shows on his sight. These are too close to the connection points for tails for me to be confident that's going to work here. :|

[albumimg]768[/albumimg]
Can barely see the second rip but it's up near where the edgebinding is still intact. One rip is on the sun side of the kite, the other on the face of it. Not sure which is which.

[albumimg]769[/albumimg]
Rip A

[albumimg]770[/albumimg]
Rip B
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Re: Kite Rehab

Postby Mike » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 06:14 PM

If you haven't already asked over at kitebuilder, ask there as well, and then it would be nice if you could post a summary of the replies here.

I'll be interested to see if there is a way to doing it without adding a patch.

akillip

Postby akillip » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 07:38 PM

Looks like a blow out, from what I can see in the picture you will need to remove the edge binding and then open up the seem(s)You will need to turn it inside out. trimoff the shredded frabric, if you don't have to trim to much off, say 3/8 of a inch you may be able to pull the fabric together and sew the edges, any more than that and you may need to add a patch. For the rip that runs away from the edge, try trimming away the shredded fabric, use a piece of white fabric to bridge the torn seem and run a wide zig zag to mend the tear. (place the white fabric or blue so it ends up on the inside). Well give it a try and let me know how it comes out. I still plan of going to Sycamore so perhaps we can take a look at it there.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 08:07 PM

Akillip, thanks!

A couple more questions about those rips running from the edge.

The edgebinding has a heavy upholstery thread and I plan to use that again on the edgebinding. Should that heavy thread be used on the rips too, or is a decent quality lighter weight sewing thread okay?

AND would it be nessicary to run a stitch around the border of the patch to spread out the pressures on the zigzag over the rip, or do you think the wide zigzag's enough?

We can ponder over it on Saturday.
TTFN,

Draftnik

akillip

Postby akillip » Thu, Apr 05 2007, 09:13 PM

Go to jo-anns and buy Gutermann thread, its the only thread I use for all my projects, and is plenty strong. And yes, run some stiches around the edge of the patches.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 07:56 AM

Drafty,

I have some insignia tape that I could send instead of light dacron. It may give a double bump as it has an adhesive on it.
It all looks really simple, just a pain in the butt...............
banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 08:01 AM

The Gutterman is a good choice. I have some Bainbridge v-46 if you want to go heavier, i can run a couple of bobbins for you.

banshee

Think MAKR 2010

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 02:11 PM

that reminds me, I have some #46 too. I accidentally bought the wrong stuff once and have a 1/4 lb of it.
If you want some, I can bring it tomorrow and you can use it and then return what's left at some other get-together.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 03:13 PM

:shock: Thread by the pound! :-) I'm not sure what Bainbridge is and don't want Banshee to run bobbins if I won't use it. If you don't need it for awhile Mike I'd like to look at it. THank you! Also, would like to see that banner material you mentioned.

Now aren't you glad you decided to come up here! :lol: Your honey-do list for Saturday must be longer then JJ's.

:thanks:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Apr 06 2007, 06:32 PM

Ha! Thanks for reminding be about the banner cloth, I had already forgotten. :oops:

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Apr 20 2007, 08:56 PM

I think...perhaps this puppies ready to fly, thanks to a package from Banshee, and alot of hand holding by him, Killips and JJ!! :-) Thanks much folks!

Now to find the courage to try it out. :blink1:
TTFN,

Draftnik

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Sat, Apr 21 2007, 04:03 AM

Oh Drafty,

Come on man, you can do it......

If nothing else you'll just have to repair it again

Banshee

Think MAKR 2010

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Apr 22 2007, 01:45 PM

It flew, and the repairs held well!!! I've not flown anything this big, what a rush it was to launch! :wohow: 8)

The repairs can't be seen once it's in the air. I noticed when I went to put the tails on it, that the loop for attaching the tail was a bit frayed. :( I'm going to take a look at it agian here and see if that can be replaced. Didn't notice it until I went to put the tails on today, and I'm not attaching those tails to it this way.

It's interesting to study a kite this close. I'll post pics later of the repair proccess-now that I'm more certain it's all going to work. ;-)
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “Sewing”