Detail Of Lynn's Work

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Jim Foster

Detail Of Lynn's Work

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 09:21 PM

Here is some detail of Lynn's sewing. Notice how there are no thread ends. I don't know how she does that. The photos are of the back side of the kites. I mentioned that all of the seams were on the black squares on the checkerboard kite. Here's the detail. The detail on the flamed kite is of the flame tips. Each tip has the little "arrow head" holding the tip of the flame. This detail is what made kite maker Rod Milburn ask me not to fly this kite until we had competed at WSIKF.

Lynn made these cute bags for the kites.

Enjoy, Jim :revspin:
Attachments
P2210929s640.jpg
P2210929s640.jpg (55.35 KiB) Viewed 966 times
P2210933s640.jpg
P2210933s640.jpg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 966 times
P2210935s640.jpg
P2210935s640.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Babbman

Re: Detail Of Lynn's Work

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 09:35 PM

the sewing looks great and this is exactly the type of thing I would like to see more detail of... thanks for posting them..

And BTW, your kite bags are fantastic... I love matching them to the kite...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:05 PM

Looks like Lynn has the sewing down to a science! The stitching is great. I love the arrowheads on the tips of the flames, the direction change in the zig zag is flawless! :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:31 PM

Making the bags match the kite makes them much easier to spot in the kite bag.
The kite bags were made from scrap pieces we used to experiment. The checks to see where to put the seams and the flames were on a piece of white I used to learn how to paint. When time came to make the bag for Flames, Lynn asked "Do you have the scrap you were using to try the paint?

Fun stuff, Jim :revspin:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:31 PM

TOO KWEL!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 02:46 AM

Jim Foster wrote:. Notice how there are no thread ends. I don't know how she does that.

I try and not have any thread ends on my projects, too. I solve the problem by having a cigarette lighter at hand when sewing to melt the ends into oblivion. Actually I have several laying around as I tend to cover them up with something and they get lost.
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 06:02 AM

thread ends are one of my biggest pet peeves

My biggest problem right now is starting and stopping a stitch. I figured out how to end my straight stitches pretty well but I still have problems with ending zigzags... starting stitches on the other hand is just hit or miss right now. Sometimes, it works out really well, sometimes I end up with a loop of thread that extends a couple of stitches from the starting point. Sometimes I have a messy wad of thread at the start... for some reason, I just can't get consistent with it.

What I have noticed with my machine is that I have the most problems if my thread it pulled to the rear of the machine when starting a stitch. If I pull the thread to the right before starting, it is much better but sometimes it is next to impossible to get at the threads to do anything with them when starting a stitch for various reasons... one of them being that I haven't eaten enough poison in my life to grow that third arm... :shock:

any tips and hints would be greatly...greatly appreciated.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Sewing”