Hot Tacking

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Mike

Hot Tacking

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 10:41 AM

How many of you use hot tacking?

I used to use it quite a bit. Mimi the spikey ball was done with hot-tacking.
I find I don't use it quite as much anymore.

At first, I went to the local ace-hardware and found a spring which fit over the tip of my wood-burner so it would be like a "real" hot-tacker.
The spring extended beyond the tip of the burner so that it held the fabric in place and then a quick press downward would burn a tiny hole and then the burner would bounce back up.

Then I got rid of the spring and wound a paper clip around the burner so that just the tip of paper clip extended beyond the burner. I could then just quickly go tap-tap along a seam to hot tack. The paper clip was smaller and didn't carry much heat so even if I left it on the fabric a little longer it didn't burn a bigger hole.

Jose Sainz hot tacks his applique so thats what I did at first. When he sews, the sewing mostly covers the little holes.
That method didn't work quite as well for me and now I use bits of tape and I'm experimenting with spray glues.

Hot tacking for seams:
If you hot tack on the bit of the seam that will be folded over and sewed down with a zig-zag, the holes don't matter--they never show.
If it's a straight seam, I just burn off an 1/8" along the entire seam.
If' it's a curved seam, I might use bits of tape or hot tack. Now I just tap the wood burner without modification along the seam.

So how about you other sewers?

Jim Foster

Re: Hot Tacking

Postby Jim Foster » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 01:44 PM

We have never tried hot tacking. I have a wood burner with a sharp point that I use to burn small holes for the bungies on the quads we make, but have not tried using it to hot tack. We use 1/4" double stick sewing tape, being careful not to leave any of it exposed along the edge of the seam to collect sand or dirt. We usually overlap our seams 3/8". We have never had a problem with the sticky goo gumming up the machine. After sewing a couple of feet of seam, we always check the needle for goo. Sometimes it's there, most of the time not. We have been told that the Pfaff 1473 that we use is more tollerant of tape goo than other machines, but I really don't know about that.

Jim
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 03:29 PM

I use regular double sided scotch tape, for applique and seams. I then remove it when done. It takes a little longer, but I cannot sew through it; it really gums up the needle. I find it much easier than hot tacking.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 03:42 PM

We use 002019 seam tape from Goodwinds. One roll last a long time. http://www.goodwindskites.com/merch/lis ... s.seamtape

Jim

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 10 2007, 05:16 PM

I don't use tape often, but I've had less trouble with the newer stuff at kitebuilder.

terry229uk

Postby terry229uk » Sun, Feb 11 2007, 08:47 AM

I'v found that Olive Oil ( not the cooking type ) cleans the needle of my machine when I use double sided tape I put it on cotton wool and wipe it up and down a couple of times.

It works on glass jars as well. :roll:

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Feb 11 2007, 03:24 PM

I use goo-gone, a commercial product in the U.S.
What's Olive Oil, is this something different than the oil from olives?

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Feb 11 2007, 11:11 PM

I have not done much sewing yet that I used hot tacking. But when I did my spiked ball, I found that hot tacking the cones in place before sewing them helped a lot. So I would have to say for sewing circles or circular shapes, it would be good.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Feb 12 2007, 05:55 AM

I've used sailtape on most everything else I've sewn up and I've never had any problem with goo on anything... The tape I used came directly from UK Sailmakers when they gave me the scrap a few months ago..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 02:20 AM

If and when I hot tack I only hit the material about 3 time and thats when I start to sew. I never go down the whole piece that I'm sewing. Ken Mcneil gave me a hint when your needle gets gummed up, use a piece of heavy dacron and punch it a couple of times with your needle. It's worked for me.
Carry on

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 07:30 AM

BANSHEE wrote:Ken Mcneil gave me a hint when your needle gets gummed up, use a piece of heavy dacron and punch it a couple of times with your needle. It's worked for me. Banshee

That's a new one for me, thanks Banshee.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 08:23 AM

I've used a good amount of seam tape since I started building and have yet to have a needle gum up from it... maybe it's just the brand I've been using... Usually, my biggest problem is an accumulation of glue from the glue sticks I use on the bottom of my presser foot.... I usually pull it off several times in the course of sewing to wash it off...

I exclusively use glue sticks on my Catherine's Wheels as the sewing involves seams that are not wide enough to use tape... In fact, I really only use tape when doing flat or fell seams or for holding the tabs in place on the CW's... I don't bother on my hems as I crease them 1st and as I sew, I bend them over the edge of the table as I sew which keeps them in place very well...

Right now though, my biggest headache is the fact that some of the hems just don't seem to put enough material between the presser foot and feed dogs.... I've played with foot pressure, etc to no avail... I just end up having to sew very slowly

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:27 PM

Babbman

What kind of machine do you use? Does it have a built in walking foot (top feed)?

Jim

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:43 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Babbman

What kind of machine do you use? Does it have a built in walking foot (top feed)?

Jim

Only in my dreams..

I use a Viking Emerald 118... no walking foot.. I use the 'B' foot for almost everything..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 01:14 PM

Babbman

Before Lynn (my wife, who has been sewing since the late 50s) and I started sewing kites, we did lots of homework. We talked to Bob Serack, kite maker/banner maker from Astoria, WA (Bob got us started flying), Dave Goss and Rod Milburn, both of Costa Mesa, CA, who have been sewing kites for years. These guys are all at the top of their field. It's like talking to John Baressi about flying kites. All three of the kite makers said to get a machine with a built in walking foot, preferably a Pfaff 1471, 1473 or 1475, for sewing the thin, slick material. Those older Pfaff machines have all metal internal parts and were made in Germany, not Asia. We took their advice. Have never been sorry.

Learned a long, long time ago, in a land far, far away to find the guy with the most gray hair (experience) and do what he says.

When you are on Medicare, you have to start at the top. You may not have time to work your way up the ladder.

Jim :revspin:

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 03:22 PM

I hot tacked some of the Le Kainos parts. My first efforts in hot tacking. I usually use glue stick, and love it, but it wasn't holding well enough. Maybe it's the dry, cold air? It got too brittle and released easily. Anyway I was happy with the hot tacking, but had to learn to tap quick, working without a spring. Scorch marks on my finger nails explain why that spring is nice to have. :-)
TTFN,
Draftnik

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Wed, Feb 14 2007, 07:55 PM

Babbman,

Sometimes when the materials are too thin place a sheet or tw or three of paper either on top or bottom of the sewing project. This thickens it up and can be ripped off later`

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Return to “Sewing”