eddy arch

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Chris

eddy arch

Postby Chris » Mon, Jan 29 2007, 10:27 PM

After much debate, I settled on the eddy arch. I wanted to do something a little different, so here we go!

Here are the 27 eddys
cut out and ready
to be hemmed

this is just a diagram
to help layout the
colors on the arch

I have about 120'
of line strung between
two posts in the basement,
with another one holding
tension on the rest.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Re: eddy arch

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Jan 29 2007, 10:33 PM

Wish I had a basement. :P :evil: Wood sur make thing a little easier, but the projects would be bigger too. :roll:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 30 2007, 08:07 AM

Groovy!
What are you using for the spines?
What about putting I, K, E on the center eddy kites?

I made one out of plastic table cloths, tape and 1/8" dowels a few years ago. Kids love playing under the arch. It's also fun to fly a rev in front of one and block the wind over successive kites to kind of make it bow down over the kids and then bounce back up.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 30 2007, 04:26 PM

I just picked up 50 3/16"x36 wood dowels from Menards for 14 dollars :mrgreen: I was thinking about "WWW.IKECLUB.ORG", but I think "IKE" will do just fine :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 30 2007, 04:44 PM

Mike wrote:It's also fun to fly a rev in front of one and block the wind over successive kites to kind of make it bow down over the kids and then bounce back up.

now that sounds like fun... I've played with my Rev around my Circoflex a few times and it was a lot of fun...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 30 2007, 08:37 PM

Still sewing :up:

ImageEight hemmed...only nineteen more to go!

Image Sweet.....cheap spars :bash:

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jan 30 2007, 09:18 PM

Way to go Chris, nothing like a big ol' arch to get more attention from the crowds. :up: 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 09:05 AM

That's a lot of hemming!
How are you doing these:
Are you single folding or double folding the hems?
Are you putting pockets for the spines?
Are you going to sew the line along the back of the kites for the "cross spars"?
What length tails are you going to use? Are you going to hem the tails too?

I had the occasional spine break from kids having too much fun with the arch so I always carried some extra pre-cut spars with my arch.

I just had another idea...
If you allow for the addition of extra kites, maybe other club members will make more kites and we can fly them as separate arches or when we are all together as one huge arch! If you put swivels or at least knots on either side of your center kites which spell out IKE, then we can make sure that those kites are always at the center of the arch.

What are the dimensions of your kites? Are you using 3/4 oz nylon?
What weight line are you going to use to connect all the kites? Too light and it will be trickier to sew on, too heavy and the arch wont stay up as well.

Hmmm, what if the center kites that spell out IKE are larger than the rest of them?

Hmmm, maybe I should shut up and not take over your project! :shock:
And stop asking so many questions as well! :oops:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 09:26 AM

Maybe everyone should make an arch? Is that what you're saying?

I'm game... I have enough scrap material to make one about as large as Chris's

Maybe 4 arches total... one with WWW. in it
One with IKE
One with CLUB
One with .ORG

lol... that would be pretty cool

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 09:41 AM

Yeah, I was thinking everyone who wants to could make their own arch. If we all use the same dimensions and spacing then we can connect them up for one big 'ol arch once in a while.
Note that finding space to fly an arch can be tricky. They can get really messed up when folks with their cheap SLKS get tangled up in them. Also, since the ends of the arch are anchored down, when the wind changes direction the whole arch came come down. It will relaunch when the wind shifts back, but it needs lots of space.

It sounds like the Naperville fesival might have enough space for it.

Each arch could be whatever colors or applique folks want, I think they look good wth random colors and designs. It's more interesting to look at and people look at it longer. But Chris's could always be in the middle with the IKE on it.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 09:48 AM

I'm loving this idea.... can this also be flown as a simple train, anchored at one end?

Can we come up with the materials list based on Chris's masterpiece?

Is there anything else we can all consider for projects that will combine or complement when we have a club or festival fly?

I'm thinking that some banners would be a good thing for all of us to make. Maybe we can come up with a unique design for an IKE Club banner that we can all make a few of. Something that incorporates the club colors/info/icons...

What do you think?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 10:18 AM

The arch can't be flown as a train. The kites in an arch don't have a cross spar. Instead, one long continuous line is sewn across where the spar would be for all the kites. I left a space the width of the kite (i think) in between each kite.

I like the idea of banners too. Maybe a generic design with the club colors and name or logo and then space for people to customize it if they wish. That way they all look like they belong together, but still allow for individual creativity if desired.

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 05:12 PM

:shock: Holy cow :shock: Mike, I can't type fast enough to answer all the questions :rotfl

Here's the link to the plan I'm using- http://www.vientocero.com/kpb/planos/ed ... dybow.html

I used 150lb line for the arch and 3/4 oz ripstop for the eddys. As for the tails, I found (stole) some 1" wide gift wrapping ribbon from Lori's gift wrapping stash :wink:

To get an idea of where this is going to end :twisted: ....... http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewt ... &start=100

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 06:39 PM

this is your plan? Wow!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 06:42 PM

I think 150 lb line is a bit heavy, you can see what the kites do in the photo on the plan page you linked to:

The don't have much pull when they lay out flat like that.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 06:51 PM

ok, fewer questions.

The kites in the original plan aren't hemmed.
Did you add a hem allowance to the pattern or is your finished kite slightly smaller?

Are you adding 3 tails to each kite?

What do you think of the rest of us making arches too, or would you like to have your's live on it's own?

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 06:56 PM

I'll see how the small one works first, IF, the arch gets bigger, I don't know that the 150lb line will make much of a difference weight wise. The plan recommended 80kg, so that's where I started.

The multiple arch deal will have to be a club project along the lines of the "crazy eddy" from the kitebuilder forum. So let's start talking about putting together some "scrap" eddys!!!

The nice thing is, they are light enough to put in the mail :twisted:

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 07:03 PM

I added a half inch all around for a hem(my standard allowance) Let's see who would be interested in making arches, once we have a number, we can plan a symmetrical design to link them together.

Ex.- my arch has 27 kites starting 4 meters from the end if the line with one meter spacing center to center.

Is the height of the center of the arch to the ground relative to the spacing of the anchor points? Or does the arch typically fly at a given height?

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 07:10 PM

The height is based on the spacing of the anchors.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 31 2007, 08:06 PM

I'm up for an arch...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Sewing”