Chris Rok

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Chris

Chris Rok

Postby Chris » Fri, Jan 12 2007, 07:55 PM

I was going to wait until I finished the kite, but I just have to share :doc:

Here is a quick progression of the sail. I really had no idea where I was going with the design, I just made it up as I went along :wink: All I knew, was that it HAD to be colorful (I think I succeeded)

Now for the hard part; actually finishing the kite :shock:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Re: Chris Rok

Postby Babbman » Fri, Jan 12 2007, 08:41 PM

Looks great so far!

Fun sewing curves, eh?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Jan 12 2007, 08:52 PM

Actually, the larger curves aren't really any harder than the straight lines. The small circles, on the other hand, are a little tricky.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 05:57 PM

Here is the finished (almost) sail. :mrgreen: I can't wait to get it up in the air! :bash: :bash:

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 06:00 PM

Chris, that looks great!

How about a closeup of the black bordering you did... love it...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 06:17 PM

:guns: VERY KWEL!!!! :guns: Nice applique!!! :guns: Did you do black lines or is that the shadowing from the layers over lapping?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 07:25 PM

No black lines, just the fell seams showing darker. Here is my Rok less bridle and tension lines.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 13 2007, 07:41 PM

so how did YOUR corners turn out?

When I was doing mine, I had a hell of a time with all the layers as well as the thread...

were you able to miter them well?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Jan 14 2007, 12:56 AM

I didn't miter them. After turning the first corner into a bird's nest, I quickly figured out how to sew through six layers of ripstop, AND 4oz dacron :shock: ; was to feed the needle manually with the hand wheel, up to and through the corner. It worked great!

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Jan 14 2007, 06:39 AM

Chris wrote:I didn't miter them. After turning the first corner into a bird's nest, I quickly figured out how to sew through six layers of ripstop, AND 4oz dacron :shock: ; was to feed the needle manually with the hand wheel, up to and through the corner. It worked great!

Well how funny is that...

I used my needle up/down switch to do 1 stitch at a time to get through my corners...

Let me know how you intend to do the patch that holds the spars to the sail... I used Gary's method but found that the completed assembly of dacron/webbing to be difficult to attachwith a zigzag as it caused the presser foot to ride the 2 layers of webbing on one side... maybe I needed to use a thinner webbing...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Jan 14 2007, 02:25 PM

Are the seams you guys are using falling to one side of center? Or is the center of the sail the center of your seams? Mine fall to one side of center, so only one side of the 'miter' hem has the extra thickness.

I don't remember having trouble at the corners with mine, but my pockets are covering the evidence. :) Mine aren't always true mitred corners, but I still assemble those corners like a mitred corner. On obtuse angles the hem makes a wide angle and the edges don't meet. It still looks all right, cause the dogeared part fills the space. On acute angles sometimes I get lucky and one hem will overlap the other and not show beyond the edge of the sail. Sometimes, it works better to fold the corners in again to get them to truely mitre.

I also avoid sticky backed dacron.

Not sure why these are giving you such fits, maybe there's a better way to do the corners?

As far as sewing through the webbing and getting rats nets. I think the only way to avoid that it to reset the tensions and pressure foot to the extra thickness. Not something I'm likely to think/want to do until things are in a mess. :oops:

Also, I think I skipped the dacron patches on the vertical spar sleeves on the SPLAT rok. I used two layers of webbing and called it good.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Jan 14 2007, 06:57 PM

Are the seams you guys are using falling to one side of center? Or is the center of the sail the center of your seams?

I used all flat fell seams, so the overlap of material fall just off center. The actual center of the sail is the first straight stitch on the fell seam.

I didn't do any kind of miter on the corners, so the hem got a little thick; but I managed :wink:

BTW, how goes the NASA wing??

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Jan 14 2007, 07:20 PM

Shhhh...I was hoping the boys had forgotten they coulda been working on that instead of doing a long list of hunny-dos this weekend.

The good news is the foster puppies have a kicking kennel. I foster for the local shelter. The kennel won't fly, but it's still a good accomplishment for the weekend.

JJ did get to watch the game, so the weekend wasn't a total bust for him.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jan 23 2007, 10:12 AM

Fantastic looking kite Chris!

My machine can sew thru the webbing ok, so I don't remember having troubles doing the corners. I don't really miter them since it will be covered up by the pocket anyway.

Return to “Sewing”