stratoscoop

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Chris

stratoscoop

Postby Chris » Fri, Jan 05 2007, 06:22 PM

Is there any difference between a parafoil and a stratoscoop? If so, can someone direct me to plans for the latter? I'm looking for another project :twisted:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

BANSHEE

Re: Stratoscoop

Postby BANSHEE » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 04:28 AM

Unlike the parafoil the stratoscoop has closed cells and they are inflated from the bottom of the kite via scoops. this give the kite a shape closer to an airplane wing and increases it's lifting power.m I've not seen one but I've been told they are a real butt kicker and depending on the size they shouldn't be flown alone. They have a tendency to bend dog stakes and stretch out carabiners.

I believe that they came onto the circuit in the early 80's originating in england manufactured by Green kites.

Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

SkyWalker

Re: Stratoscoop

Postby SkyWalker » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 01:28 PM

You're right on the mark Banshee.

I own two of the Strat 3's (30sq ft each) & they're very good lifters...though they do tend to need a good clean wind to get 'em off the ground (NOT the easiest to inflate...especially if you're by yourself)

Unfortunately, I've yet to come across plans for them anywhere...sorry!!!

Below are a few misc Stratoscoop pics...

get 'high' on kites,

Jeff Hale

BANSHEE wrote:Unlike the parafoil the stratoscoop has closed cells and they are inflated from the bottom of the kite via scoops. this give the kite a shape closer to an airplane wing and increases it's lifting power.m I've not seen one but I've been told they are a real butt kicker and depending on the size they shouldn't be flown alone. They have a tendency to bend dog stakes and stretch out carabiners.

I believe that they came onto the circuit in the early 80's originating in england manufactured by Green kites.

Banshee
Attachments
Stratoscoop 7 - custom job.jpg
Stratoscoop 7 - custom job.jpg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Stratoscoop 3 rainbow - 30sq ft or 6ft x 5ft - $260 GreensKites.com.jpg
Stratoscoop 3 rainbow - 30sq ft or 6ft x 5ft - $260 GreensKites.com.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Stratoscoop 3 lifter made by Greens of Burnley.JPG
Stratoscoop 3 lifter made by Greens of Burnley.JPG (68.96 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Last edited by SkyWalker on Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Frodos Majik

Re: stratoscoop

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:25 PM

:shock: :shock:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Return to “Sewing”