Flowform

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Chris

Flowform

Postby Chris » Sun, Dec 31 2006, 04:34 PM

OK, here's the newest endeavour. I wanted to buy one, but decided to give it a shot! The seams and assembly look pretty straight forward. The Rok is second on my list right now, at least until something else comes up(a spin sock maybe?)

It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Chris

Re: Flowform

Postby Chris » Sun, Dec 31 2006, 04:37 PM

Oh, BTW that plastic folding table works great as a cutting mat! The rotary cutter doesn't seem to damage the surface at all. The table costs less than the 24x36 cutting mat I bought :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 31 2006, 08:06 PM

That'll be a nice kite Chris.
How big are you making it?

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Dec 31 2006, 10:15 PM

1000mm x 800mm :wink: About 32x40. I figured I'd start small, and once I see how it goes, mabye a big one later :lol:

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 07:58 PM

I have most of the pieces cut out, just have to cut the top and bottom pieces to length, run a few hems, then I can start assembly :mrgreen:

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 09:41 PM

Looking good!

How hard were the pieces to template up and cut out?

I have a feeling that we are all good motivators for each other...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jan 02 2007, 09:57 PM

The template was easy to layout. I just laid out the vertical and horizontal points and connected the dots. This plan has a adjustable template; after cutting the larger ribs, just change the measurements on the template and cut it down accordingly.
[albumimg]314[/albumimg]

The most time consuming part is the top and bottom panels. Here's a mock-up of the bottom (without vent holes)
[albumimg]313[/albumimg]

BTW, nice avatar :up:

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 12:53 AM

Nice color combo Chris. :up:

What is the tape on the table for? squaring up your material?

BTW I am almost done with "Gus" the purple people eater. Just got the two hexagons with the eyes and the tube/valve left. Should be done by the weekend. I SO have to get a camera!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 05:51 AM

yes, and if you look closely, you'll see a bunch of numbers on the horizontal piece of tape, that is to mark the vent holes on the top and bottom strips, and to mark the angles on the ends.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 08:46 AM

I like the colors too. That part is sooo hard for me. You chose wisely.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 09:14 AM

I noticed that color choices are difficult for me also..

so is squaring up the material. I've been burned 2 times because of that.. I'm also sick to death already of not having enough room to layout and sew stuff up. I also need to fashion a setup to give me more flat space for sewing...

I'm about to gut an area in the basement and setup a table and sewing area... it's also a good excuse to get a 20" LCD TV to put down there...lol

I knew that I got flooded and had to throw out EVERYTHING from my basement 10 years ago for a good reason.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:03 AM

How do you square up ripstop? That gives me grief too.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:57 AM

I'd love to know some techniques also...

I know a square will work but I also know that there is a measuring trick that has to do with geometry... I can't remember that one though as my 4 year old has sucked my mind empty... but I can recite Fox in Socks by memory...

Chris (aka Babbman)

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 04:04 PM

Babbman wrote:
I'm also sick to death already of not having enough room to layout and sew stuff up. I also need to fashion a setup to give me more flat space for sewing...

I will trade you my layout and space problems for yours. 54 35" x 39" panels have become a nasty problem.
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 04:34 PM

This is how I squared my pieces, once they get bigger than the table I guess either fold them in half, or just do sections at a time.

First I start by marking the table a few inches from each edge, making sure that the tape is parallel to the table edges. Once I cut a strip off the roll with a straight edge, I then line up the bottom edge with the bottom tape. Using my quilters rule, I then use the edge of the table to square the ruler to the table. A drywall square would work also for larger pieces. Cut off the edge piece, and line up with the vertical tape.
[albumimg]316[/albumimg]

Repeat for the right side.
[albumimg]318[/albumimg]

Tape your piece down if it helps, then take your straight edge, place it on the top of piece to be cut, measure down to the horizontal tape, and cut.
[albumimg]317[/albumimg]

As long as your tape lines, and your table are square, you should have a perfectly square piece of ripstop! To double check for squareness, just measure diagonally, corner to corner. Both measurements should be the same.
[albumimg]319[/albumimg]

This way works well for me. It takes a little extra time, but if you have multiple pieces of the same size, you can cut several at once.

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 06:46 PM

Started sewing the bottom of the flowform tonight. :-D
[albumimg]320[/albumimg]

And crap!!! It didn't mention in the plans(I didn't allow for it) that the fell seam caused the rib to be 1/4" forward when finished! Oh well....put that first on my list of "things learned while making a kite" :x: BUT...there is no way in he** I am going to rip the stitch out and do it over!!! I am a proud member of the "100 foot kite club" :twisted:
[albumimg]321[/albumimg]

-unknown

JJ

Postby JJ » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 06:51 PM

Babbman wrote:
I know a square will work but I also know that there is a measuring trick that has to do with geometry...

That is the 3-4-5 rule. Measure 3ft. one way 4ft. about 90 degrees up and the distance between the two points.

A squared plus B squared is equal to C sqaured.

Works very good when framing a wall for a house, but I find it very difficult to do on RSN.

I take the long end of my framing square and place it in line with the factory edge then take a 6' long piece of metal up against the short leg of the square and hot cut to square the end of the roll.

jj

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 09:03 PM

More progress :-D

the secret to sewing four layers of ripstop...tape! and lots of it.

...and I was doing so well :oops:

Done for the night :doc:
[albumimg]326[/albumimg]

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:54 AM

Looks great. Sure glad I NEVER did the ooboo like that b4. :rotfl

The next ? I have for you Chris... is when are you going to sew that SUITCASE for hauling all the stuff you are going to have b4 the next :clubfly: . :shock: :rotfl :shock:

You sewing MANIAC!!! :rotfl :rotfl :up: Keep it going!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 06:13 AM

looking good!... you've been busy...

I got bored waiting for my supplies to show up so I built another Circoflex in complimentary colors... Gonna try a circtrain... This time, it only took 1/2 the time to do things...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Sewing”