Babbman's Circoflex

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Babbman

Babbman's Circoflex

Postby Babbman » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 08:36 PM

Well, here's my Circoflex in mid construction

[albumimg]232[/albumimg][albumimg]233[/albumimg]

I should have the 2 remaining seams sewn up tonight and I have the spars sitting here also.

I was trying to get this done for tomorrow but Elie is sick and trying to sew for the first time with a screaming/vomiting/upset kid has been... well, interesting... It looks like she not going to be feeling too well tomorrow and Jenny won't be able to take her to work (Jenny's a barber and takes Elie with her every day... built in day care!) so I will be missing out on the club fly as it stands right now. If, on the other hand, she wakes up without a fever, I will be able to come...

If not, look for the final pictures of my first kite tomorrow.... wish me luck on the 20' straight seams!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Re: Babbman's Circoflex

Postby Chris » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 08:47 PM

Looking good Babbman!! :up: Just remember, all the seams look PERFECT when it's flying :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 08:54 PM

Just getting started on my project and I am not looking forward to my long seams. I have to make the decision tomorrow on if I am going to sew 5 29' sears or 8 17' seams. Either way I will have ample opportunity to mess up.
Alan Sparling

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 09:15 PM

I've been lucky so far... only 1 seam had to be ripped and done over....

For me, I am finding that the biggest problem is room...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 09:17 PM

Babbman wrote:
For me, I am finding that the biggest problem is room...

Story of my life.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:18 PM

Chris wrote: Just remember, all the seams look PERFECT when it's flying

And it will fly just as well with crooked seams too.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:57 PM

LOOOKING GOOOOD!!! :up:

Sorry to hear Elie is not feeling good, hope all is better in the morning and you can make it out.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, Dec 22 2006, 01:44 AM

Al,
Make sure you bring in the mountain dew or cappuccino.
Banshee

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 09:03 PM

Here's my second circoflex... using different colors... the pics make the pinkish red more red than it is... same pattern as my previous. My goal is to make a train of 3 with the same pattern but different colors... going to start sewing tonight and should be finished up by tomorrow... I have another set of rods coming for it with my Rok stuff..

[albumimg]329[/albumimg][albumimg]331[/albumimg]

Elie is helping me in the second pic..lol

Next week, I think I am going to make a train of something... diamonds or something that will fly REALLY easy.... I am going to let Elie pick out and layout the colors from my scrap bag... should be fun...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Jan 04 2007, 09:21 PM

:shock: The colors should be interesting to say the least :rotfl She's a cutie, must take after your wife :rotfl (thank goodness mine does :!: )
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 04:17 PM

Well, I'm kite rich and spar poor...

Here's my circoflex #2 ready to be spared..

[albumimg]344[/albumimg][albumimg]345[/albumimg]

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 05:08 PM

Looking good :up: Can't wait to see the circo-train :-D

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 06:57 PM

This one really took 1/2 the time of my first kite... I decided to forgo a bunch of crap I did the last time and in the end, it turned out alright... There were a few places where the fabric bunched a tad but overall, I'm not going to complain. Starting and stopping stitches with my machine is MUCH easier now that I have some speed control...

Once again, it was the cutting that took the most time. One thing I am dealing with is that most of my ripstop is scrap, albeit large scrap, and I don't usually have a roll edge to start from.

As for sticking my seams together (there are 12 with the color patterns I used), I made this MUCH easier this time by taping them with sailmakers tape, lining them up, taping the sail down so it wouldn't move and then pulled the backing off the tape. Then, I could just lay the edge down on top of it and it lined up perfectly. A straight sew down the seam, a fold over and then a zigzag and I was done... Something that would make this much easier on me in the future is to build a table up around my machine so I have more flat space... I'm going to start turning the furnace room into my kite making room this winter so that I can do this.

I also got more aggressive with my sewing speed and was able to keep everything pretty straight.

Total time from starting my first cut to marking the bridle positions was about 10 hrs and another hour to sew up the penny packs for weights and sticking them down... I'm going to try the weights parallel to the leading edge this time to see if I can get rid of some of the backward lean of the kite when it flies.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 08:42 PM

Something that would make this much easier on me in the future is to build a table up around my machine so I have more flat space

I know what you mean! I had problems feeding the material consistently when most of the kite is hanging off behind the machine. :|

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 06 2007, 10:15 PM

I'm not sure the kite will fly if it doesn't lean backwards. Let us know if I'm wrong.

Return to “Sewing”