2014-15 IKE Fall Winter Sewing Something Session.

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
TMadz

2014-15 IKE Fall Winter Sewing Something Session.

Postby TMadz » Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:21 AM

With the cold weather upon us again, the DuKane chapter of IKE was talking about trying to reschedule the sewing session to give everyone a chance to get together and learn something this winter. My wife is opening a new business space that will have about a 40' x 25' open area for everyone to spread out, along with some additional side rooms. She will have some folding chairs and other seating for our use as well. It has great highway access just off I-88 at the Orchard road exit. Plenty of amenities nearby. Her space is pretty much available until after the new year. After January 1st her winter programs start so available dates are limited. If there is interest I will need to get the "reservation" on her schedule so we can use it. We also have another possible option for space and one I just thought of today that might work (depending on availability). Right now according to the NOAA winter outlook, this might be a much drier year than last so hopefully we won't have any snow delays.

Steve (11) has mentioned that he has or has a source for fabric.

So start the posting and let's see if we can get one put together this winter. Plus 6 months is a long time between get togethers and camaraderie.

p.s. 10 foot ceilings so maybe some glider play.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

makatakam

Re: 2014-15 IKE Fall Winter Sewing Something Session.

Postby makatakam » Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:45 AM

I am interested in making something.

You may have to put Cook county in the DuKane -- we can call it the DuCoKane group?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Oct 19 2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks for posting tmadz. And thanks for volunteering the space!

Still haven't talked to the wife about timing for various family related things, so I'm unsure about possible dates, but I'd like to make something! Preferably something simple since I haven't really sewn much of anything . . . .

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 20 2014, 09:42 AM

I like the plan, except you guys don't need to form a sub-group. Unless you don't want downstaters or WI members to show up :)

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Oct 20 2014, 02:40 PM

Nothing meant by it. Just a geographic joke since we're closer to each other. Everyone is encouraged to come, even though we don't have a central location that works for everyone.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Oct 20 2014, 05:25 PM

"DuKane" is a joke between me & Swannie. Brian and I fly revs "DuKane" style if there's enough wind - i.e. we sit in our folding chairs while flying. Plus, when I'm flying DuKane style, Say gets to tell me that I'm an old man and I must be tired.

The sewing thing got pulled into "DuKane" because Todd, Brian and I were talking about finding a venue for sewing . . . and they both have access to facilities which might work well for a group meeting.

You know, I forgot to ask if there are any flying fields near the studio . . . if we build something, you know we're going to want to fly it . . .

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Mon, Oct 20 2014, 11:03 PM

I like my flying school of fish. I also did take this pic of the world famous Dukane stylie flying style.
8-)
David
Attachments
Flying Fish.jpg
Flying Fish :)
Flying Fish.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
Dukane Flying.jpg
Dukane Flying as mentioned......
Dukane Flying.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 22 2014, 07:00 AM

TMadz wrote:Nothing meant by it. Just a geographic joke since we're closer to each other. Everyone is encouraged to come, even though we don't have a central location that works for everyone.

I know it's a joke, and I appreciate that you guys are now the core of the club and getting together regularly.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Oct 22 2014, 07:33 AM

Mike wrote:. . . and getting together regularly.

I blame basicbill! He's flying every weekend and even multiple times during the week! Hard to pass up a quick fly when he posts up almost every weekend that he's flying.

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Wed, Oct 22 2014, 07:43 AM

goestoeleven wrote:
Mike wrote:. . . and getting together regularly.

I blame basicbill! He's flying every weekend and even multiple times during the week! Hard to pass up a quick fly when he posts up almost every weekend that he's flying.

Yeah... where were you yesterday when I was practicing? Working I suppose. No excuse. ;)

Bill

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Nov 04 2014, 01:27 PM

OK. Back to the sewing topic. Steve and I are open for Thanksgiving weekend. I realize it's a holiday weekend, but Saturday or Sunday would work if anyone's interested.

My wife has signed up a partner to share the space so I'd have to have a definite date for the future in order to reserve the space. Let me know if people are still interested. The best other option is around the holidays when there is more likely to be availability as well.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Nov 04 2014, 07:43 PM

As Tmadz stated, I'm in, and would bring material for the group from last winter's find. I'd prefer to make something simple . . . . having not sewn a kite in something like 30+ years . . .

swannie

Postby swannie » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 06:54 PM

Did this thread die or are we still thinking of sewing ... something?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 08:00 PM

Are you around the weekend after Thanksgiving? I think tmadz and I are up for sewing then.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Nov 13 2014, 08:00 PM

Did this thread die or are we still thinking of sewing ... something?

Yes.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sat, Nov 15 2014, 08:03 AM

Well my wife's space is still being built out. The developer is dragging his feet so the space won't be available won't be available that weekend. If it was we'd be painting and moving in. Maybe we can schedule at a later date.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:22 PM

So (or should that be sew) . . . .

I'm back from U-Make. Anybody want to sew something? We're running out of winter weekends (and my spring schedule is filling up with festivals and other constraints). Maybe we could try a Friday night. The della porta I made at U-Make is a very simple kite . It's probably something that could be made in a few evening hours (although the fuzzy tail takes time, applique takes time, and/or painting the sail (which I'd skip for this) takes time).

We'd need space, tables (including a cutting table or two), rotary cutters and straight edges/squares, sewing machines & supplies, soldering iron (for making bridle holes) and materials. I can supply the fabric, and could probably get the other materials needed (webbing, dacron reinforcements, dowels, ribbon, etc.). Bad weekends for me for this thing are the 14th and 21st of March.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Mar 10 2015, 05:20 PM

Bumping . . . I talked to tmadz at the club fly - he now has space for kite making . . . I have white ripstop and Donna's della porta plan/example . . . April 5th is a possibility that I haven't cleared with my wife (or maybe we could do the night of the 28th after the club fly?)

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Mar 10 2015, 10:15 PM

My wifes next play is over before spring break and we have a break before the next picks up. The space should be available on Sunday's. I can check with her.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Mar 10 2015, 11:12 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Bumping . . . I talked to tmadz at the club fly - he now has space for kite making . . . I have white ripstop and Donna's della porta plan/example . . . April 5th is a possibility that I haven't cleared with my wife (or maybe we could do the night of the 28th after the club fly?)

Is April Fall or Winter? How did you talk to TMadz at the club fly if it's the 28th of this month. These are questions that need to be asked, or am I just getting seNile, or see-Amazon?

I'm hoping we get good weather for the club fly; I'd love to join you guys.
MARK

Return to “Sewing”