spike ball update

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Frodos Majik

Re: spike ball update

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Dec 15 2006, 12:54 AM

:evil: :evil: :evil: This site DOES NOT LIKE ME!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Go to our "Kite Sites" under "Kite Plan Base" and then follow the directions from up above.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Dec 15 2006, 05:24 AM

I just found all the stuff I printed out for the spike ball, try www.vientocero.com/kpb/planos/spike/spike.html
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 15 2006, 10:48 AM

Frodos Majik wrote::evil: :evil: :evil: This site DOES NOT LIKE ME!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You can just copy and paste URLs if you want.
If you want to get fancy, then hit the URL button (the icon with the world and a chain link).
Paste in the url, with the http:// hit the Enter key or click on OK, then enter some text that will appear in underlined and blue.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Dec 15 2006, 11:02 AM

You can make different shapes than the soccer ball spikey.
Wolfram's math site has lots of different shapes to play with and even what the 2-D plan is for each one.
Here's a truncated icosahedron, otherwise known as a soccer ball :-)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Dec 15 2006, 09:00 PM

I do copy and paste, butt to NO avail. I had gone to the same place that Chris did and it did not work. :roll:

Some times these big old boxes are nothing more then a LARGE :zip: paper weight!!! :twisted:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 01:33 PM

Deltoidal Hexecontahedron
Otherwise known as 60 kites connected together:

TheBigKiteGuy

Re: Spike Ball Update

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 02:01 PM

I am thinking that these need another modification. They need some sort of one way vent that would suck in the child that was trying to twist off a spike and not let him back out. Probably more humane that what Meg Albers was plotting in Toronto. The Fugu she was watching was completely over run be completely out of control children. It was like a bunch of piranha in a feeding frenzy. It was beyond kids playing with it, thy were trying to destroy it. Meg went home two hours early. It is scenes like this that have kept me from getting a Fugu over the years.

W.C. Fields said it best: "Sure I llke children, They are best with BBQ sauce."
Alan Sparling

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 02:49 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I am thinking that these need another modification. They need some sort of one way vent that would suck in the child that was trying to twist off a spike and not let him back out.~~
~~W.C. Fields said it best: "Sure I llke children, They are best with BBQ sauce."

Modification: Turn your Spikeball into a Killer Tomato... :rotfl
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 06:47 PM

Not everyone likes kids, in part it depends on your attitude and experience and, in part some folks just don't like 'em much. Which is OK.
I enjoy them though.
I don't monitor Mimi very much and I'll look over and sometimes see kids totally try to destory Mimi, they stomp on her and kick her, play tug of war with her spikes... And she's survived all of it.
Many kids feel the need to punch her when walking up to her. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't hurt her.
Many, many more times though, the kids just squeal and try to run away from her, or run under her, and the kids are a joy to watch.
Like this:Image
(there's a bug in the photo album software, it seems to want to turn this photo sideways--just tilt your head :P )

Lots of kids ask first, and so many kids have thanked me for letting them play with Mimi. It's a good thing.

I always have some pocket sleds to hand out to the kids to fly. They work together to get them into the air and when they're done flying they either put them back near my Rev bag or hand them off to the next kid. Another joy to see these kids fly kites for the first time.

Maybe my view is skewed, maybe the kids that hang around my local parks are just special :-D

Oh, another kid story. I had a paid gig to fly kites at a small festival here and had one hyper-active kid trying to "help" me fly my revs. So I set up a couple SLKs on shortish lines. They weren't high enough to stay in the air and would come down pretty regularly. I gave him a caribiner to clip to his belt and it was his job to take care of those kites. He had a great time, and was grinning from ear-to-ear with pride in his job. The following year he was at the festival again and was ready to do his job again. We had a great time together and I sent him home with a pocket sled of his own. I expect I'll see my buddy again next year.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 08:07 PM

As much as I joke about it, I have no problem with kids as long as:

1) They are not insistent about getting in harms way. I have come very close to serious injury keeping kids who were where they should not be from getting hurt.

2) They have at least a minimal respect for other peoples property. I have been yelled at by parents for chasing kids away who were trying to do serious damage to the show kites.

Unfortunately there seems to be no predicting which are the good kids and which are going to throw a screaming fit when stopped from stealing a piranha drogue. There just seems to be more and more of the bad ones around (I blame the parents).
Alan Sparling

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Dec 17 2006, 08:15 PM

I agree with both perspectives, good or bad, it's all up to the parents. I try my best every day to have my daughter grow up to be one of the good ones!
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Return to “Sewing”